+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. MK Dons [EFL L2] 01.04.24

9 min version.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I certainly didn't think the substitutions helped yesterday.

We were flying at 2-1 up and certainly didn't look tired, which makes me wonder whether the coaching team had an excessively 'fixed' or pre-planned idea of the number of minutes certain players would play, instead of reading the mood and momentum of the game.

If Austin was genuinely spent and couldn't run a minute longer, then Bostock certainly wasn't the right replacement for him - O'Brien would have been a far better choice. Likewise, Jaden Warner didn't strengthen an already weak defence and lazily played MK Dons' forward onside for their third goal by being caught too deep.

At the moment, SM seems to have the knack of making too many decisions that hinder the team rather than helping them, and that needs to change.
    A very good summary of events and I thoroughly agree with your points about players and minutes and SM having the knack of making too many decisions that have not proved helpful to the team.
    Perhaps the coaching team are sticking too rigidly , to a predetermined gameplan , making ( unnecessary ) changes on that basis , rather than acting accordingly as events unfold ?
    Again , on Monday , the momentum was disrupted by the wrong changes of personnel and at the wrong time ?
    IMHO, if ain't broke it doesn't need fixing.
    On the other hand PPM , machinery wise , is designed to prevent breakdowns.
    Players aren't machines and should be trusted to convey any concerns of fatigue to the bench during games.
    Before the sports science technology and subsitutes were introduced, old time players of course used to play 90 minutes plus extra time , if required, and still manage to play 46 games a season.
    Modern day players are more like finely tuned athletes and as such are more prone to injury ?

I wonder if it was the shift of momentum following our withdrawal of Austin that led to their triple substitution ~5 minutes later. If so, it would really show the difference between a manager using subs to change the game and one using them as squad rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    I wonder if it was the shift of momentum following our withdrawal of Austin that led to their triple substitution ~5 minutes later. If so, it would really show the difference between a manager using subs to change the game and one using them as squad rotation.
    Maynard didnt use it as squad rotation Austin was ill 3 days before the game at Swindon and he never misses games.

It was clear Austin was cooked and as for MaCari he didnt look right either didnt look injured but he was struggling abit.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Maynard didnt use it as squad rotation Austin was ill 3 days before the game at Swindon and he never misses games.

It was clear Austin was cooked and as for MaCari he didnt look right either didnt look injured but he was struggling abit.
    But a) it wasn't so much taking Austin off as replacing him with Bostock, b) MKD were clearly on top after their three subs but the only sub SM made for the next 20 minutes was the out-of-sorts Macari, nothing to try to respond to MKD's change and regain the initiative (and them equalising 3 mins after the substitutions should have been blaring a warning), and c) maybe it couldn't be helped, but having a fresh Jones feeding Jatta would have been a great thing to see. I also wonder whether Jatta would have reached the final chance that Didzy couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    But a) it wasn't so much taking Austin off as replacing him with Bostock, b) MKD were clearly on top after their three subs but the only sub SM made for the next 20 minutes was the out-of-sorts Macari, nothing to try to respond to MKD's change and regain the initiative (and them equalising 3 mins after the substitutions should have been blaring a warning), and c) maybe it couldn't be helped, but having a fresh Jones feeding Jatta would have been a great thing to see. I also wonder whether Jatta would have reached the final chance that Didzy couldn't.
    Well that’s hindsight isn’t it had we won nobody would have questioned Bostock it’s not like JOB is prime Gerrard is it who was the other option.

I’m not really sure what else he could have done as we had our best team on the pitch had he gone defensive and lost he’d have got hammered we could argue what did Williamson do first half to stop us keep attacking them sometimes you have to say the other team are playing well and are having the upper hand.

You say a fresh Jones but he has spent a week not really training and up and down a motorway he was only left out for that reason otherwise he 100% starts.

Yes maybe Jatta does get that ball but we not know that as he wasn’t on the pitch and he may not have made the same run.

Re the substitutions if the players taken off where injured or to prevent making any slight injury worse that was good management. I will not comment on who was brought on I leave that to others. But if Jaffa was not injured that was bad management as the he is the only player to provide height in both areas. As their substitutions gave them an advantage and Notts where unable to stop the ball coming back time and time again, with Jaffa on the field the option of the long ball is available. I long to see JJ in his proper position fizzing balls into the area for Jaffa (this has not happened enough since Jaffa arrived). Even if Jaffa does not get the ball his present in the area can cause problems for the defence and the ball can fall to other Notts attackers. I will judge SM in the last few games if the attack continues to score a lot of goals not results as the defence could not stop my granny from scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by midshipman View Post
    Re the substitutions if the players taken off where injured or to prevent making any slight injury worse that was good management. I will not comment on who was brought on I leave that to others. But if Jaffa was not injured that was bad management as the he is the only player to provide height in both areas. As their substitutions gave them an advantage and Notts where unable to stop the ball coming back time and time again, with Jaffa on the field the option of the long ball is available. I long to see JJ in his proper position fizzing balls into the area for Jaffa (this has not happened enough since Jaffa arrived). Even if Jaffa does not get the ball his present in the area can cause problems for the defence and the ball can fall to other Notts attackers. I will judge SM in the last few games if the attack continues to score a lot of goals not results as the defence could not stop my granny from scoring.
    Do you really think his name is "Jaffa", or are you taking the pith?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Do you really think his name is "Jaffa", or are you taking the pith?
    That really takes the biscuit.

That’s not Nice.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast