+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. MK Dons [EFL L2] 01.04.24

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    As you say, LW was intimating weeks before he left that the recruitment was a bag of nails. Makes you wonder what the Bros game plan is?
    I suppose we'll find out in the summer.

Can't say I'll be happy if the attendances we've had this season leaves us with a tenth place budget next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    Thanks for your comments and yes I have played at a high level , been a player manager and manager , so I do understand that players have to have minutes measured especially in the modern game, and especially with advances in sports science and technology .
    Thanks for stating the obvious without the arrogant need for two capital f's and a capital s.
    I also understand game flows and momentum which SM obviously doesn't . His use of substitutes at Crawley and Wimbledon (H) in particular , highlight this fact.
    It appears that Maynard obviously favours defensive options and is more likely to lose a game than win it.
    The important point to note is that Notts were quite comfortable at the time subs were made and if players are tired after 53 minutes they didn't show it today.
    With your superior tactical knowledge , please enlighten me which substitutions you would have made and try to convince me that Bostock , Didzy and Warner actually improved our chances of winning the game.
    As I stated, Nemane was indifferent throughout the game and Jones was probably a better option on the right today with Chicks staying on at LWB.
    Maynard has regularly utilised JJ on the right and Jatta may have been able to add to his tally with crosses from both flanks.
    Scotty would have been a better bet than an unfit Didzy and JOB would have provided more urgency and momentum than Bostock in his current form.
    I'm still of the opinion that it was two points lost, rather than a point gained because of duff substitutions at the wrong time.
    The Sunday league pub manager is back, hello pro active not re active or whatever your previous was.

That was as close to a LW level of performance at home that we’ve had under SM as others have said. The reason being that we went forward with purpose, confidence and intensity. Likewise out of possession we were more aggressive in trying to win the ball back, pressing and got a bit physical as well namely Robertson the stand out in this.

We’ve scored a lot of goals this season and conceded a lot. Whoever is manager that will not change now with this group of players. I’d have taken a draw against a side in 4th before kick off.

I get the feeling SM is going to be here for the foreseeable and nothing will happen now with five games to go if at all in the summer.

Today the vast majority of people applauded the players throughout and at the end along with the manager because it was a good game and they put the effort in and worked hard for each other. This demonstrates if we do well at home people will get behind the team and manager. Of course there were a handful of people in the bottom left of the kop with banners when we went 3-2 down.

Having listened to SM and AC’s post match interviews I’m of the opinion that the players are playing for the manager and the club. The way they fought and did their best to make sure we didn’t have that six game loss run shows this as well. This is what we need to see now in the last five games.

I liked the fact SM was quite bullish and he’s right that we had problems before he arrived. We all know we have conceded too many goals since the opening day at Sutton, Harrogate, Colchester and howlers like against Shrewsbury. LW mentioned about concentration when he was here and made it clear about players making mistakes only getting so many chances.

With a summer of recruitment, a clean slate and the backing of the club and the players could SM be the inspired appointment he was supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    Scotty must have been fit to play a cameo role otherwise he wouldn't have been on the bench !
    Chicksen was very effective , his stood up cross for the Jatta goal was a result of a conversation between the pair yesterday , rather than manufactured by Maynard & Co.
    JJ for Chicksen was not the obvious choice . SM has rightly been slated for deploying JJ on the right but we are talking about a substitution to benefit the team . Chicksen also has good defensive attributes.
    A number of players need more fitness after injuries and it certainly shows.
    Crowley was probably the best performer in the first half before Williamson tactically reduced his influence .
    Baldwin was attributed with the error for their third goal but Warner naively played Harrison onside.
    All the players put in a shift and although it is a priceless point it's also two points lost.
    Come on SS59 listen to Adam Chicksons' interview again. From about 3 mins 35 secs in.
    https://youtu.be/lyw7Z4oWjh8

He has an achilles injury and has had for most of the season. It was the correct decision to take him off.
    I hope that if you were manager that you would have done the right thing also. We want him available not crippled.

A bit surprised that nobody has mentioned the obnoxious little piece of sh!t wearing their 18 shirt. He scored a great goal, but spent the rest of the game trying to wind up the home fans or whinge to the ref. He had been subbed before their second and third goals, but instead of celebrating with the rest of the bench he chose to give it large to the DP stand. Something kicked off and the stewards got involved, but I'm not sure what.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    , but it has revealed something about Maynard's character I wasn't fully aware of, or at least not sure about before today.
    Tell me more
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-04-2024 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error

I think we have turned the corner 👍

Williamson in his interview today was extremely complimentary about SM and what I liked for the first time today from SM was a bit of attitude, I don’t think he’s down yet, not thrown the players under the bus but he obviously knows the issues and so did LW. We were 6th but I still believe it was momentum from last season and a few players are just shot as the seasons gone on.

unfortunately (or rather fortunately- you decide) i was unable to attend the game today so i was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me.
    My concerns about Maynard has been his steadfast approach to games ( that i have seen) to stop his wing backs pushing to far forward and overlapping at pace into space beyond the opposition back four, denying opposition space, but also nullifying our attacks. For me Maynard's future here depends on whether or not he will, or is able to set up the team to attack in this manner instead of setting up not to lose.
    How did he set the team up today ? did we get our wing backs pushing forward again at long last ? did we start creating chances again like we once did instead of living of scraps ?
    thanks in advance x

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A bit surprised that nobody has mentioned the obnoxious little piece of sh!t wearing their 18 shirt. He scored a great goal, but spent the rest of the game trying to wind up the home fans or whinge to the ref. He had been subbed before their second and third goals, but instead of celebrating with the rest of the bench he chose to give it large to the DP stand. Something kicked off and the stewards got involved, but I'm not sure what.
    I think he did us a big favour strutting his stuff in front of the Kop it meant that all the fans venom was aimed at him rather than the team/manager, he actually improved the atmosphere by firing the crowd & our players up, cheers mate. A very enjoyable game & nice to hear a positive atmosphere yet again it proves that what you read on here rarely reflects the feelings of the majority of fans, juries still out on Maynard I'm certainly not sure he's the answer but as long as he remains I will back him & they can stuff their banners. COYP

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast