+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Notts County's Defence

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    If i was in charge of recruitment i would be telling the owners we need to sell an asset ,to give us the resources we need.
    I think that is very likely to happen.

I’d be amazed if Langstaff and Jones are still here next season.

Who do we sell

[QUOTE=Piessince67;40481535]If i was in charge of recruitment i would be telling the owners we need to sell an asset ,to give us the resources we need.[/QUOTE Which asset do we sell?

Depends on what offers we receive.We all know that we have to build a defence as the poster said.

We have 7 out of contract players.Baldwin,Bostock,Rowling ,Brindley ,O Brien,Bajrami and Scott.
    keep Scott , Bin the rest !

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I think that is very likely to happen.

I’d be amazed if Langstaff and Jones are still here next season.
    There's not a chance that either will be with us next season, far too good for L2.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    keep Scott , Bin the rest !
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Could'vebeenacontender View Post
    We need to start by bringing in a tough, experienced centre half who will lead on the pitch and then build the defence around him
    Someone like Flint at Mansfield or Mcfadzean who joined Coventry when they were in L1 or L2 and helped them up through the leagues
    The problem is that the system that has been adopted at Notts, doesn't allow for defenders who's sole attribute is tough tackling. Even our goalkeepers have to be footballers.

If you bring in someone like Flint (and god knows where you'd find someone like him available), he would fail in our current system.

It's not about winning the ball currently, it's about holding onto it.

We have 7 out of contract players.Baldwin,Bostock,Rowling ,Brindley ,O Brien,Bajrami and Scott.
    There's lots of 'Bs' in there.

I reckon that that is every Notts County player with a B in their name .

In my opinion both Langstaff and Jones will be county players next season, my rationale both are under contract their not good enough for the step up to the Championship and only a couple of league 1 teams would be able to meet there valuations.
    On the out of contract player's retain Scott maybe JOB the rest can leave. Defenders under contract but deemed not good enough should become squad members , new arrivals needed are goalkeeper, two seasoned EFL Defenders and a holding midfielder who can do the dirty side as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    The problem is that the system that has been adopted at Notts, doesn't allow for defenders who's sole attribute is tough tackling. Even our goalkeepers have to be footballers.

If you bring in someone like Flint (and god knows where you'd find someone like him available), he would fail in our current system.

You have hit the nail on the head LullaPie and the solution to the problem is to go out there and get better that fits the style we are looking to play. One / Two Who defends better and distributes the ball better. I'm sure they are out there its just a case of finding them and coaching them. It's a shame that Baldwin could not learn to leave the brain farts out of his game. There still time for Cameron though as he has time on his contract to improve his frailties. I like Cameron and hope he rises to the challenge ahead !

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post

I really hope, and I don't think, that last sentence is right.

Our system is about controlling possession. We're at our best when we take risks in attack and, if we lose the ball, move heaven and earth to get it back again. The alternative is the "play the ball around the back 40 times" approach which is what the players sometimes default to but which is, I believe, absolutely not the system we're supposed to be playing.

Some of our system is about harrying the ball carriers up the field (and inevitably leaving space), but some of it is about winning the ball back in defence too. And frankly we're a lot better at the first than the second, especially when a team comes at us - overwhelmingly we block and we try to pinch, but we don't really tackle. Most of our defenders stand off until a shot goes off, the ball is intercepted, or a goal is so likely they give away a penalty trying to stop it.

I haven't watched enough of Flint to know specifically but I have definitely seen defenders who can do the above better than ours, playing for L2 teams. They may not be as good at ball distribution, but we can still have players in our back line who are good at that too. The good hard tacklers know how to thread a simple pass to someone else.
    Last edited by OchPie; 04-04-2024 at 03:32 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast