+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rebuilding Notts County's Defence

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It isn't, in fact I think we should expect it next season. We are clear third best in attendances in League 2 this season, and none of the clubs who will come down from League 1 will threaten that. I get that the owner's philosophy is to find cheap untapped talent and it's mostly worked well so far, but the recruitment this summer will be crunch time for me. If I read that we have a 10th-12th place budget again I'll be disappointed.
    like i say Elite , we all have the right to be disappointed with any budget that is divulged if it is lower than perceived. However my point is people really shouldn't be complaining and demanding more money should be spent and start to berate the owners and their commitment to the club. I thought we had learnt lessons from the past about spending money we haven't got.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    like i say Elite , we all have the right to be disappointed with any budget that is divulged if it is lower than perceived. However my point is people really shouldn't be complaining and demanding more money should be spent and start to berate the owners and their commitment to the club. I thought we had learnt lessons from the past about spending money we haven't got.
    Well said Pedro.

Anybody should read this before sniping at the owners.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...tz-you-3141806

I think the first match under the Brothers was Eastleigh away. A 0-1 defeat, finished with 9 men.

Compare the team that day with todays team.

1Slocombe
    16Kelly-Evans Substituted for Hemmings at 60'minutes
    17Bakayogo
    12Oxlade-Chamberlain Substituted for Tootle at 75'minutes
    19Bird Substituted for Turner at 75'minutes
    4Rose
    8Doyle Booked at 75mins
    3McCrory Booked at 90mins
    6 O'Brien
    11 Boldewijn
    10 Tyson

Progress or no progress?

I don't think people are getting upset and berating the owners. What we're saying is, our owners appear to be ambitious, and we all assume they have the funds to back up that ambition one way or another. At some point, if they want us to progress up the leagues, we'll have to bring in better players, and that often means spending more money. It's the same for every club at this level.

Nobody knows what budget the syndicate really has or are willing to spend. Notts aren't going to generate a profit any time soon, but if their hobby is to run a successful football club then the will need to accept a loss on clearing out our entire defence and start again. Clearing out the coaching team would be good too but I have a funny feeling that won't happen. If their aim is to do a Brentford, then they must presumably have access to resources to fund this.

I don't think anyone has criticised them on budget, but recruitment is IMO open to criticism, its been very poor this season.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I don't think anyone has criticised them on budget, but recruitment is IMO open to criticism, its been very poor this season.
    Agreed signings havent been great we have signed 4 decent ones.

There isnt a magic formula for players though a number of factors can impact players at any club.

An example is Caicedo £100m looked great at Brighton and obviously can play goes to Chelsea and looks a £100 player !

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I wouldn’t say overall recruitment has been very poor as we have signed Jones, Crowley, Jatta, Macari, Robertson and Didzy (open to debate). The lack of focus on defence was very poor, especially with us having the second worse defence in the National league (time out of possession), they didn’t deserve being retained on two year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Southwell_Magpie View Post
    I wouldn’t say overall recruitment has been very poor as we have signed Jones, Crowley, Jatta, Macari, Robertson and Didzy (open to debate). The lack of focus on defence was very poor, especially with us having the second worse defence in the National league (time out of possession), they didn’t deserve being retained on two year deals.
    That sounds like an interesting stat - is that goals conceded correlated with time the opposition had the ball (I.e., time spent actually defending?)

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    That sounds like an interesting stat - is that goals conceded correlated with time the opposition had the ball (I.e., time spent actually defending?)
    It is that. Seeing as we were only defending for around 25% of matches, it was pretty damning.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345