+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Point

The turning point for me was the Mansfield home game (Under Luke). it was the first time I had seen us look tired, uncreative, dominated in every area of the pitch and completely outclassed. It was a shock given what we were used to.

This why personally I think the results under Stuart are misleading (maybe). As many on here are saying he has come in on the back of a fair few issues AND at the same time adjusting to a new set up AND at the same time asking the players to play in a different way (albeit not a million miles apart) AND having to deal with dipping confidence. I Actually think it's of tremendous credit to the guy that he has withstood the heat and is cracking on (I appreciate others don't see it that way).

Also I think the bro's have got a lot of credit in the bank (so as to speak) in terms of achieving a massive amount - STABILITY, beautiful style of football, massive increase in support, not half as ego based as most owners seem to be and upgrading the club at all levels. The last thing I want to do is lose perspective on what they have achieved so far as arguably these guys are the greatest owners we have had for a LONG LONG time.

MK Dons isn't a turning point. I suspect we won't win any of our remaining games, although a couple more turning point drawers are likely. With my head up my arse I know crap when I see it. What's the excuse for those failing to accept reality - Maynard's failing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    The turning point for me was the Mansfield home game (Under Luke). it was the first time I had seen us look tired, uncreative, dominated in every area of the pitch and completely outclassed. It was a shock given what we were used to.

This why personally I think the results under Stuart are misleading (maybe). As many on here are saying he has come in on the back of a fair few issues AND at the same time adjusting to a new set up AND at the same time asking the players to play in a different way (albeit not a million miles apart) AND having to deal with dipping confidence. I Actually think it's of tremendous credit to the guy that he has withstood the heat and is cracking on (I appreciate others don't see it that way).

Also I think the bro's have got a lot of credit in the bank (so as to speak) in terms of achieving a massive amount - STABILITY, beautiful style of football, massive increase in support, not half as ego based as most owners seem to be and upgrading the club at all levels. The last thing I want to do is lose perspective on what they have achieved so far as arguably these guys are the greatest owners we have had for a LONG LONG time.
    Was that before the Wrexham game? I don't recall. I didn't come up for the Mansfailed game, but I was there for the Wrexham one and these were my thoughts exactly about that game.

Also don't forget Maynard and his team have had a big personal upheaval too, giving up steady jobs. You could say, that is on him, but it is another thing occupying brain space so will have an impact. If he goes, then I suspect we will get in another young up and coming manager who plays in the same style, so I wouldn't expect huge changes. The owners seem to have a vision several years ahead and we will get there when we get there...but when we do, we will stay there because the club will be built o solid foundations. Don't confuse patience with weakness... these guys are certainly not weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    Was that before the Wrexham game? I don't recall. I didn't come up for the Mansfailed game, but I was there for the Wrexham one and these were my thoughts exactly about that game.

Also don't forget Maynard and his team have had a big personal upheaval too, giving up steady jobs. You could say, that is on him, but it is another thing occupying brain space so will have an impact. If he goes, then I suspect we will get in another young up and coming manager who plays in the same style, so I wouldn't expect huge changes. The owners seem to have a vision several years ahead and we will get there when we get there...but when we do, we will stay there because the club will be built o solid foundations. Don't confuse patience with weakness... these guys are certainly not weak.
    Yeah I like this

If I remember rightly the Mansfield game was a much magnified version of the Wrexham game. Also it stresses me out when we start going down the path of just get this new guy in and everything will be alright (meanwhile it's another change for the club and unsettling).

Although I do remember Colin Murphy and Steve Thompson coming in and butchering what we had (who I would have gladly got rid of after ten minutes). I think Stuart could be a great appointment given some time, new signings (which I bet he does have a say on for sure!!! - like as if the owners aren't going to include him on those discussions) and admittedly a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    MK Dons isn't a turning point. I suspect we won't win any of our remaining games, although a couple more turning point drawers are likely. With my head up my arse I know crap when I see it. What's the excuse for those failing to accept reality - Maynard's failing us.
    Oh dear, im not going to question your outlook, you are thoughoughly entitled to it and to say so, i just dont see it that way.
    Deep down, before we kicked off the 23/24 season i just couldnt see NCFC being promoted this season or even in the play-offs, it was remarkable to see us at the top end for so long, same as i didnt see us losing so many games on the trot (thank goodness we had those points in 23' to fall back on). I dont think we have yet seen what SM is about yet as he has been firefighting with a team in freefall since he's been here.
    From what i have seen our owners have never done any kneejerk decisions, all have been methodical steps in stages, just look at the ground improvements, new pitch from top to bottom in the close season, i believe they have it planned out in their timeline,most of us believe that what they say they actually do. This time next year we may ALL have a different view of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollat11 View Post
    How can you say that? You really haven't a clue. Maynard's problem is that he has inherited Williams's flawed team. The results are in large part the legacy of Williams. He failed to strengthen the squad for league 2 so that we are essentially still NL standard. How is that Maynard's fault? Furthermore, Williams, out of some misguided and stupid loyalty to players showered 2 and 3 year contracts on them, as far as I understand, and we may be stuck with players not good enough at this level. As Maynard said in an interview, the rot set in before his arrival, 9 losses from the previous 15. Basically, after a good start we were found out. Teams worked out how to counter our strengths and exploit weaknesses. From Monday's line-up how many players would you retain - 5 or 6 at best and one of those being Jatta, a new addition. In other words half the team that Williams built are just not good enough for this level. I can't see that Maynard is responsible for that, I feel for him that he has to work with that. I also agree with his point that it's been really laughable schoolboy-type individual errors that have cost us dearly. It's not his tactics or style of play. In fact, for the most part we have looked much more solid than under Williams ... and then our defenders commit hara-kiri! These people baying for Maynard's blood basically have their heads stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.
    Or perhaps it's you that doesn't have a clue? Williams didn't build the team. The owners and their recruitment team did. They haven't changed.

From Monday's line-up I'd keep all but Slocombe. Chicksen is fine as a utility back-up, Baldwin and or Cameron with a leader in their 30's alongside them could be okay but I wouldn't be upset if either left. Same with Bostock.

We look more solid - great. We still concede 2 & 3's most games and still concede a hell of a lot from crosses and space on the edge of the box.

Remind me how many home games we had lost this season prior to SM? We've been poxy all season away from home in the main. It was our home form sustaining our position and we're still awaiting our first home win under SM.

You're allowed your opinion just as others are allowed theirs but if you think Williams was handing out the extensions it's probably you who has their head up their arse tbh.

I’m new on here, but have been a Notts supporter for 35 years. I read with dismay recently all the posts about how the manager should be sacked but truth be told, we were on the slide before Luke left. SM has had a momentous task trying to turn that round and but for a few calamitous defensive errors and bizarre refereeing decisions, we would have the half dozen or so points which would have put us on the edge of the playoffs. That said, had we got into the playoffs and miraculously got into Division 1, we’d have been defensively way out of our depth, with a defence that evolved from the National League.
    So I’ll be renewing our 5 family season tickets, and I hope SM comes good. We need to strengthen our defence, and IMO play 4-5-1 sometimes to recognise we’re not in the National League any more, playing a lot of the time against part time teams, but in a professional league with full time players and more importantly professional managers who know exactly how to apply a high press against a 3-5-2 or similar set up.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    You're allowed your opinion just as others are allowed theirs but if you think Williams was handing out the extensions it's probably you who has their head up their arse tbh.
    It's quite amusing someone saying others don't have a clue when they clearly have no understanding of the club's recruitment policy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wollat11 View Post
    How can you say that? You really haven't a clue. Maynard's problem is that he has inherited Williams's flawed team. The results are in large part the legacy of Williams. He failed to strengthen the squad for league 2 so that we are essentially still NL standard. How is that Maynard's fault? Furthermore, Williams, out of some misguided and stupid loyalty to players showered 2 and 3 year contracts on them, as far as I understand, and we may be stuck with players not good enough at this level. As Maynard said in an interview, the rot set in before his arrival, 9 losses from the previous 15. Basically, after a good start we were found out. Teams worked out how to counter our strengths and exploit weaknesses. From Monday's line-up how many players would you retain - 5 or 6 at best and one of those being Jatta, a new addition. In other words half the team that Williams built are just not good enough for this level. I can't see that Maynard is responsible for that, I feel for him that he has to work with that. I also agree with his point that it's been really laughable schoolboy-type individual errors that have cost us dearly. It's not his tactics or style of play. In fact, for the most part we have looked much more solid than under Williams ... and then our defenders commit hara-kiri! These people baying for Maynard's blood basically have their heads stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.
    I’m not baying for Maynard’s head either but he is responsible for making substitutions and some have been questionable to say the least ! Against MK taking Austin off left our midfield without energy as Bostock really just hasn’t got it these days and Macari didn’t need replacing. Warner went on to let a ball bounce instead of heading it which eventually lead to us conceding.
    Of course I don’t know if any injuries were the reasons the subs were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    I’m not baying for Maynard’s head either but he is responsible for making substitutions and some have been questionable to say the least ! Against MK taking Austin off left our midfield without energy as Bostock really just hasn’t got it these days and Macari didn’t need replacing. Warner went on to let a ball bounce instead of heading it which eventually lead to us conceding.
    Of course I don’t know if any injuries were the reasons the subs were made.
    You would if you read this board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast