+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Zonal

Get rid of Zonal

My only observation from Wolves game is that the whole defence have no idea how to zonal mark. Just standing still and watching is not zonal marking. The team tried hard and were always in the game. Still think we have no chance of staying up but please ditch the zonal marking and go for traditional man to man marking.

Ahh Lancaster - you’re right tbf but as with everything on here if we want to point the finger Muric should have claimed the ball but he didn’t and yes we had statuesque defenders in a zonal system.

If we went back 3 weeks it would have been Traffords fault and the witch hunt would have continued- but actually it was Muric s fault and no one said a word. Except for crap marking.

I always think a ball delivered straight into the box is harder to defend than one crossed in from a wide position.

I suspect our lot were still flummoxed at to why they were defending a free kick at all.

The award of the free kick was astonishing as the referee was right up with play and had a good view of the Wolves player pirouetting and falling over without any contact. The Wolves runners were not picked up when the ball was subsequently delivered into the box. I suspect if Trafford was still in the team he would have been 100% blamed (as army suggests) for the goal but I think this was a collective failure.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    The award of the free kick was astonishing as the referee was right up with play and had a good view of the Wolves player pirouetting and falling over without any contact. The Wolves runners were not picked up when the ball was subsequently delivered into the box. I suspect if Trafford was still in the team he would have been 100% blamed (as army suggests) for the goal but I think this was a collective failure.
    I sit right behind that outwood and the defence expected Muric to claim it , the look on their faces told me that - however he in turn thought the opposite.

I was always told never wait for a shout go and clear the ball and that’s what we should have done regardless of keeper or defenders.

Thought I may have got a bite with the Muric thing ( justified mind ) but no takers.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Ahh Lancaster - you’re right tbf but as with everything on here if we want to point the finger Muric should have claimed the ball but he didn’t and yes we had statuesque defenders in a zonal system.

If we went back 3 weeks it would have been Traffords fault and the witch hunt would have continued- but actually it was Muric s fault and no one said a word. Except for crap marking.
    Have to disagree Army, imo the ball came in too flat for any GK to claim it and though Muric he started to go out he then realised he wasn't going to get there. One of those things. Even so there should have been a challenge on the Wolves player unless of course Muric called for it. If he did it was a big error on his part.

If I was my grandad and had done my auntie I'd be my brother's sister. IF is a big word.

Trafford average goals conceded per game 2.21 save percentage 65.7
    Muric average goals conceded per game 1.33 save percentage 85.0
    Stats speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Trafford average goals conceded per game 2.21 save percentage 65.7
    Muric average goals conceded per game 1.33 save percentage 85.0
    Stats speak for themselves.
    It’s a poor stat CIB - against what sides

Plus I will say we have definitely improved q

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I sit right behind that outwood and the defence expected Muric to claim it , the look on their faces told me that - however he in turn thought the opposite.

I was always told never wait for a shout go and clear the ball and that’s what we should have done regardless of keeper or defenders.

Thought I may have got a bite with the Muric thing ( justified mind ) but no takers.
    I agree with Tap, that was never a keeper's ball, Muric started to come for it, realised it wasn't on and went into reverse. It was not the keeper to blame for that goal being conceded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)