+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Site Moderation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    The Mods who don’t get paid. The mods who have to put up with been accused of letting some things slide and not others. The Mods who get nothing but criticism and told what to do.
    If I were them I’d pack it in.
    As pointed out it’s the usual old and new suspects stirring the pot.
    I tried Facebook once I didn’t like it so I come off it.
    It’s not that deep there are far more important things in life to get upset by.
    I’m glad I don’t know some people personally on here sad doesn’t even cover it.
    Alright for you to spit the dummy out though, isn't it?

A long time since I posted and I won’t be posting after this. I agree personal abuse is uncalled for but guru is systematically killing this board with repeated posts. He’s not interested in debate just repetition.
    How many posters have stopped because of him.
    He’s getting his wish I’m afraid.
    Just my thoughts from someone who reads posts but rarely gets to end of threads because of the same nauseating drivel by one person.
    Enjoy.

I think it's a mod systematically killing the board. Engages in spats that doesn't involve him and changes and deletes posts that others don't see. Why is my opinion any more childish than yours?

I rest my case another multi persona. So many new posters all don’t like it on here but carry on anyway.
    All very similar. So much effort keeping up with multiple accounts and personas. Another one I’ll put on ignore list.
    Away with you. 👍🏻
    Don't take up law, you're terrible at presenting evidence. There are too many broke people my taxes cover, don't need any more.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

I think it's a mod systematically killing the board. Engages in spats that doesn't involve him and changes and deletes posts that others don't see. Why is my opinion any more childish than yours?
    At least he's doing in in iambic pentameter... or iambic something-or-other.

I think there have been a lot of good points made on this thread from all angles. Don't doubt the mods put in a lot of effort to keep millers mad going
    but |I'm not sure how skilled they are to truly moderate it judging by what happens on here. To me, if its not working for all then it may as well fold. Sad I know. I wouldn't miss it if it did. Maybe something better may rise from the ashes.

Not a fan of course of the club but look on owls talk. Itsa lot better run site. Maybe our mods should chat to them about how to run a fans site. Even Vi tal Rotherham doesnt seem to have the same issues as we have on here.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 04-04-2024 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

You are correct Howdy I’ll leave you all to it pal.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Roly, your own words are:

"Being anti woke or not challenging anti.woke views is not the voice of a moderate person."

That is your opinion. You appear to want moderators to moderate against that standard. As far as I can see from the rules, Footymad does not include that standard. They appear to say, in a nutshell, don't write anything illegal and try to get people to play nicely.

The moderators have the unenviable job of trying to interpret that across a very broad church of opinion and it will never be easy.

I certainly don't mind having a sticky reminding people of the rules but I don't accept that any of us has a right to dictate where the line in the sand should be drawn - as your statement seems to suggest - on what is acceptable and unacceptable.

If I've misunderstood or misinterpreted your intent, I apologise.
    No need to apologise CT Miller. There doesn't need to be a line drawn but MM should remind folks that some issues generally in society are not acceptable and to bear this in mind when posting. Thats all I ask. That applies to me as much as anyone else.

The anti woke stuff is nonsense and tiresome. Why shouldn't people fight there corner? What is wrong with that?

Bear in
    mind if people hadnt fought their corner in the past most of us would probably still be living as serfs/ slaves. Some probably think they still do.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 04-04-2024 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Roly, I agree with much of what you say on here but I struggle with where you are going with this.

Your estimation of what constitutes a ‘moderate person’ is an opinion rather than a quantifiable point of reference.

I don’t think you can define what are reasonable boundaries for what is effectively freedom of speech based on such an arbitrary marker. To try to create some kind of sticky reminder based on what one sector of our Millersmad community consider to be acceptable/unacceptable smacks of an attempt to limit free speech.

Of course, anything written that is illegal has to be censured but, beyond that, I don’t see a need to muzzle what people want to say.

To be clear, I do not say this as an anti-woke, right wing apologist. Much of what gets said on here in that vein is anathema to me. However, whether or not I find it distasteful, I would always defend the writer’s entitlement to express a view.

My solution is simply to avoid reading certain posters (and often not because of the opinion they are likely to express but because they often seem to say the same thing repeatedly - ad nauseam!)

I’m more than happy to hear a range of views on here - whether or not they’re football related. I would prefer not to curtail opinion just because it doesn’t agree with my own.
    well said that is a balanced view.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    It's important to remember this is an internet forum. Tap room logic falls down because these aren't private conversations, even if they're primarily between a small number of people, hence some items being subject to defamation and libel concerns. Also, there's ways to consider 'wokeness' in this setting, which don't mean statues are being harmed. A person who is 'woke' may speak out if someone uses certain terms on a forum, but they're not angrily pulling down a statue or waving a placard about the slave trade. Context is important.
    You or I clearly don't get the majority of people that use this message board.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 04-04-2024 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I don't think the tap room analogy really works. An issue with this site and the internet generally is that people can speak out online without the checks and balances of the real world.

If it wasn't for the internet it wouldn't exist but I was trying to relate to something thhat the majority of users would have experienced

In a tap room it's possible to gauge the impact of their behaviour on others and react accordingly or face the consequences.

So unless you know them personally and you can confidently assess their reaction then be polite or be as polite as the person you're talking to is

It’s sad to see how quickly threads one here can turn from polite disagreement, into squabbling and finally into insults in fashion that might not happen in the pub, because of the potential consequences of becoming frozen out by the other drinkers or potentially thumped (I’m not advocating violence with that comment – merely suggesting that the risk of physical violence in the real world is a factor in making people act in a more measured and reasonable fashion).

Be polite and communicate as if you are..

You and I have had our debates in recent times, but I think we kept it civil and respectful, in the main. I am grateful for that. And we did it despite a certain another poster jumping in to ‘stir it’ at one point.

Everyone is capable of this type of behavior they just have to want to do it. Thank you for the kind comment.

This has been a very interesting read and some great viewpoints and opinions from all sides, with the added Millersmad garnish of squabbling between people who don't like one another.

For my own part, I stopped posting on here last year when I breached my own code of behaviour. Regardless of any forum rules or sticky posts, I always said for my time on here I'd 1) avoid politics and 2) never get into any sort of insult slinging with fellow contributors. We may not always agree on things but we're all Millers and we can all be civil to one another. In the tap room analogy, have a debate, disagree, right who's round is it? Ironically that fell apart for me when I made the stupid error of posting after a skinful of ale then had a cringefest the next day.

There were other things going on in life too, Mrs Derek having a number of health issues, my own blood pressure issues, family issues, the on the pitch situation being very depressing. There was certainly more to life than Millersmad and a tactical withdrawal followed. Being a technophobe, I can't access this by smartphone, I have a desktop PC set up in an office in the house. So it was easy to go completely cold turkey and it was a nice break.

For the last few weeks I've been back on in an observer only mode and I still believe that we have a really decent range of football contributors on here. It's not perfect but look out at the world and show me where there is any perfection right now? Where there are human beings, there will be flaws, it is inevitable. The Mods on here are like anybody else in life who has any hint of authority or responsibility, they will always be damned if they do, damned if they don't. Moderating in a way that will please everyone will be like trying to drain a swimming pool using a sieve.

In regard to attracting new posters, various people have contributed their opinions regarding "woke" and "anti woke", political views etc, so I'll leave that well alone. But for my own experience, a big turn off to any newcomer on here will be the inevitable accusation that you are a "multi" the minute you engage in any sort of viewpoint or show any characteristic that stands out a little. As soon as I started to post negative comments about Matt Taylors management of our club, people started to drop in the vague insinuations that I was actually somebody else posting under a different name.

Is it offensive? No. Is it boring and tiresome? Yes. Very. So if we're wanting to attract newcomers on here it doesn't make sense to label anybody new a multi merely because they have a personality that differs from someone elses.

I appreciate that multis can be a problem and they obviously do exist, but the accusation is a repetitive trope on here. Since returning as an observer I was unsurprised to see it still gets banded about. I don't know what tools the mods have at their disposal to correctly identify multis, but it would make life on here better if they could be spotted and simply removed without any fanfare or attention. That is what they want after all.

My stance on multis is simple. If someone's life is so empty that they have the time and inclination to create several accounts so they can attempt to wind people up, then that is quite sad. If someone's life is so devoid of excitement that they create accounts, post on here, then log in as another account and reply to themselves in order to bolster the original opinion, then I think we've reached the point of that person needing professional help.

To loosely quote the great sci fi comedy Red Dwarf, "if being a multi is their crime, it is also their punishment."

Going back into my fox hole now for a few months

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast