+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Board

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Two things spring to mind: if it is all down to bad luck what's the point of all this metrics malarkey, and, Stewart must have killed an albatross.
    What's the plural of Albatross ?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Premier League are considering scrapping FFP and replacing it with a Luxury Tax, meaning no more points deductions and a financial penalty instead, which won't trouble rich owners so much. Apparently 17 of the 20 PL clubs have said they want the change.
    If that change is made then Championship clubs will presumably soon be pushing for a similar rule in the EFL.
    I take it you got that info from the Daily Fail ?

The journo involved hasnt told the full story as there is still to be points docked.

If not then the clubs owned by countries will just do what they like and nobody could keep up with them.

It would basically make it the SPL !

It's an interesting statement from the board. I guess it was aimed at placating supporters after (or should I say during, we'll know after today?) our desperate run, and trying to take the heat off the manager.

That said, I don't see it as saying that SM will definitely be with us next season. He doesn't even get mentioned until the 12th paragraph, and is only referred to 3 times in total. That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

They can't be happy with what he's done so far, and to put that down to luck to the extent they do is a bit insulting. It's insulting to LW firstly. Was luck really responsible for us being top/in a play off spot whilst he was managing the club? And insulting to the supporters who've paid to watch some truly dismal performances, it comes across a bit slopey shouldered to suggest that has been down to bad luck.

I'd have preferred a more honest acceptance that data driven recruitment can have its limitations, that they'd look to learn from mistakes made this season and rectify them next season, and most of all that if we are relying in a data driven model, but then say 'ah but the table DOES lie', that doesn't make much sense.

All of that said, it's their money, they can do as they wish, I'm grateful they are our owners and on the whole I like and respect what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Apart from the first 10 minutes that coincided with Slocombe losing his head, we were the better team, they didn't have a sniff so don't get how we were "lucky" in the final
    Also the league table shown we were 25 points ahead of 3rd place.

Fcuk the rest of the play off teams WE DESERVED to go up with Wrexham its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Also the league table shown we were 25 points ahead of 3rd place.

Fcuk the rest of the play off teams WE DESERVED to go up with Wrexham its that simple.
    We were unlucky to have to take part in the play offs, 107 points and yet it wasn't enough all because Wrexham could pretty much spend what they want on whoever they want. IMO Wrexham, Notts and Chesterfield deserved to go up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Lets see what players are signed in the close season. This will be a good indicator, as to whether they fully understood how bad we have been this season...
    Good point Durham

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    We were unlucky to have to take part in the play offs, 107 points and yet it wasn't enough all because Wrexham could pretty much spend what they want on whoever they want. IMO Wrexham, Notts and Chesterfield deserved to go up last year.
    Just for some further context.. Chesterfield have romped the NL and are deserved champions. However, they won’t match the points total of 2nd place last season. This all despite a weaker NL compared to 3 good clubs going toe to toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Apart from the first 10 minutes that coincided with Slocombe losing his head, we were the better team, they didn't have a sniff so don't get how we were "lucky" in the final
    It felt like it at the time but when I watched it back a few weeks later we weren’t lucky at all, just as you say a lot of calamity for the first 10, Bostock then got a grip on the game and we got going.

The statement is ok but it's ok having the chances, you need to take them. I'm not sure after reading that I'm confident the defence will be sorted out fully close season. I don't mind starting the season under SM and giving him more of a chance. I'm still glad the bros are in charge working towards the longevity of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... so the moaners with the memory of a gnat seem to have forgotten how lucky we were in the play off v Chesterfield; who were the better side on the day. Game after game, in the NL, we rode our luck and but for our excellent forwards we would still be there. The moaners also seem to have forgotten what a shambles of a club we were - and we supported 'the shirt' through thick and mostly thin. Now we have some stability, some still seem to think there is a magic money tree and would have us do 'a Wrexham'. No thank you very much ... been there, seen the result. The only reason to look back would be to ask the Bros' why they didn't invest in the defence last Summer(?). I don't buy that we give the promotion winning players the chance to adapt to D2 - that's emotional cr ap; my own view is that the Bros' weren't prepared to spend bigger than their budget - but that's only a guess. If it was 'the budget' factor then good for them, it's their decision. Maybe their was a way to communicate this; without telling some of the players they're u.s. I would sooner have a club which is financially sound and building steadily. Sometimes it's better to take a few steps back (and learn) than go forward headlong. COYP's
    The stats from the game show we were the better team, more possession, more shots on and off target. Bostocks free kick was something we'd worked on, no fluke. OK Rubens had a hint of luck about it and did our semi final but we deserved to get promoted being 23 points clear of Chesterfield ans 35 points of Boreham Wood. If it wasn't for 2 goals from Baldwin we wouldn't be there so it wasn't just our forwards.

Stability is good but you also need to move forward or you stagnate. Something we've done for many years in the past eventually dropping out the football league. I hope the brothers push that budget a little this summer so we can challenge at least the ploy-offs next season or fans will drift away again.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast