+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Post match interview.

Post match interview.

I can understand the 'all-in-it-together' approach of the management but it can begin to sound hollow when the manager tries to pass off opinions that are contrary to most other people's perceptions. Earlier in the season Bell deflected praise from himself and heaped it on the players. However, to claim that all the players gave it their all (a constant recently) was clearly not the case. It may be true of the likes of Demetriou, Holicek, Nevitt and possibly Leigh but there were clearly at least 2 who didn't try to win every ball, who didn't do their best to create opportunities for other players better placed, who frankly could easily have been substituted at any time by any player no matter how inexperienced.
    This is my worry. By all means, Lee, don't point fingers at individuals but don't insult our intelligence either. There are lots of ways you can admit to problems without naming names but don't go completely the other way by seemingly praising performances when it's not warranted simply for the sake of 'unity'.
    My other big worry is an apparent loss of faith in our academy. Agius is young and inexperienced (and unlikely to gain any experience at this rate!) but is talented, can control the ball (certainly an asset compared to a few in the team recently!) and has an eye for goal. Besides, he surely cannot be any worse that a couple who are getting picked for the team. Obviously I'm not talking about 90 minutes but 20 or 30 as a sub. It also makes sense when you consider how tired some of the players are.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I can understand the 'all-in-it-together' approach of the management but it can begin to sound hollow when the manager tries to pass off opinions that are contrary to most other people's perceptions. Earlier in the season Bell deflected praise from himself and heaped it on the players. However, to claim that all the players gave it their all (a constant recently) was clearly not the case. It may be true of the likes of Demetriou, Holicek, Nevitt and possibly Leigh but there were clearly at least 2 who didn't try to win every ball, who didn't do their best to create opportunities for other players better placed, who frankly could easily have been substituted at any time by any player no matter how inexperienced.
    This is my worry. By all means, Lee, don't point fingers at individuals but don't insult our intelligence either. There are lots of ways you can admit to problems without naming names but don't go completely the other way by seemingly praising performances when it's not warranted simply for the sake of 'unity'.
    My other big worry is an apparent loss of faith in our academy. Agius is young and inexperienced (and unlikely to gain any experience at this rate!) but is talented, can control the ball (certainly an asset compared to a few in the team recently!) and has an eye for goal. Besides, he surely cannot be any worse that a couple who are getting picked for the team. Obviously I'm not talking about 90 minutes but 20 or 30 as a sub. It also makes sense when you consider how tired some of the players are.
    Whilst I agree with your general point about the use of the subs from our Academy, I can understand why he didn't. I have not seen the game but can hazard a guess at the players you are referring to for not "putting the effort in", I don't necessarily agree but my point about Lee Bell opting not to chuck the Academy lads on in the latter stages of this match is that I can imagine it is more of an issue of protecting them against the criticism that would be levelled at the team had we lost to a late goal with 2 or 3 of these lads on the pitch at that point. I am sure had we been 2 nil up we would have seen 2 or 3 of them getting some minutes. Crewe are known for playing their youngsters when they are deemed ready but with apparently 10 first team players missing with injury you can maybe see why we might have kept them on the bench. They will get their chance!

While I accept/ appreciate your differing perspective, I just want to elaborate on my own position. Whilst, in general, I referred to academy lads, for the moment I am just being specific to Agius. I am not referring to just 'blooding' him but using him instead of people I believe don't deserve to be getting regular appearances. Being specific to Agius, he is an attacking midfielder who I believe cannot be worse than others of a similar position. Crewe fans would generally be supportive of his appearances, which should be limited to 20 or 30 minutes. As a forward player he would rarely be in a situation to let the team down. At the moment the ball is not getting in the box to create goalscoring chances, let alone goals so we couldn't do worse than we are at the moment by playing him.

Think Lee did the best he could in the circumstances.

If we were mid-table with ,'nothing to lose', Then I believe that Max Woodcock and Calum Agius would almost certainly have be given a run-out.

Bit like bringing on a pair of 'kids' when you are losing at home in the cup to Man Ure.