+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Will JJ & Macca be with us next season ?

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Indeed they were, funny when a Notts fan know more about Wrexham than a Wrexham fan
    Technically no, as Lee was a free agent. Andy Cannon, yes you're correct we signed him from Hull but he wasn't in their squad.

What I meant was that we won't be signing Championship players who are starting for the big boys in that league like Leicester, Leeds, Southampton etc etc all of which would not have been competing for the signature of the players mentioned. But hey ho, it doesn't matter.

I'm glad I've given OP67 something to laugh about other than your defending this season

I wonder if the plans for The Nest and the pitch are going ahead because we expect to sell one or both of them. Hopefully, The Nest will be self funding in the medium term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

Great win yesterday by the way! Looks like a win on Saturday and you're home and dry.
    Thanks, it certainly was. Andy Cannon has been outstanding for us the second half of the season. Championship standard

Interestingly Crawley play a lot like yourselves. We let them have their possession that they clearly crave but they couldn't do anything with it. A lot of this keeping the ball is pointless and is very easy to defend against. There aren't players with the sufficient quality to open defences up like higher up the leagues which is where I believe it falls down. I know there's a lot of hype around this new fangled style of play but I'm not a fan, definitely not in this league. And that isn't a dig btw.

Parky got it spot on tactically yet again. Vastly underrated manager that deserves way more respect. Be interesting to see how he takes us forward next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Technically no, as Lee was a free agent. Andy Cannon, yes you're correct we signed him from Hull but he wasn't in their squad.

What I meant was that we won't be signing Championship players who are starting for the big boys in that league like Leicester, Leeds, Southampton etc etc all of which would not have been competing for the signature of the players mentioned. But hey ho, it doesn't matter.

I'm glad I've given OP67 something to laugh about other than your defending this season
    Boyle as well, you have to admit your wage bill is pretty big for L2 as it was in NL.

4 more episodes of Calamity County to go, surprised Disney didn't snap it up Unfortunately most of our backline is under contract next season but hopefully not see much game time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    I wonder if the plans for The Nest and the pitch are going ahead because we expect to sell one or both of them. Hopefully, The Nest will be self funding in the medium term anyway.
    I doubt the brother will do the same as Pavis and sell players to fund unnecessary ground improvements leading to relegation. Hopefully it's the opposite to that and it shows JJ and Macca our ambitions to go forwards without putting the club in a financial mess like so many others.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. The only clubs that will be signing players who are starting for teams like Leicester, Leeds, and, Southampton will be established Prem teams. A top player from one of those teams will be worth multiples more than your entire club.

It's possible to tempt L1 players to a non-league/L2 side because, relatively speaking, it's not a huge amount of money in football terms. But to tempt Championship and Prem players to a L1 side is entirely different. You'll need to dish out 10-20k per week to tempt an average Championship player to drop down.

So yeah, scouring L2 and L1 for top talent might be the way forward, but it may make the pace of your success harder to maintain. The amount of money required to move up the pyramid gets exponentially higher the higher up you go.

Thanks, it certainly was. Andy Cannon has been outstanding for us the second half of the season. Championship standard

Interestingly Crawley play a lot like yourselves. We let them have their possession that they clearly crave but they couldn't do anything with it. A lot of this keeping the ball is pointless and is very easy to defend against. There aren't players with the sufficient quality to open defences up like higher up the leagues which is where I believe it falls down. I know there's a lot of hype around this new fangled style of play but I'm not a fan, definitely not in this league. And that isn't a dig btw.

Parky got it spot on tactically yet again. Vastly underrated manager that deserves way more respect. Be interesting to see how he takes us forward next season.
    Crawley have brought players in from two or three levels below L2, and their budget is tiny compared to yours, so to say their style isn't working is a bit harsh. They look good for the playoffs, which I'm sure their fans and board will be delighted with.

Parkinson has done well to build a team of winners, and he certainly understand what it takes to be successful at this level, but the main factor behind his success is the amount of money he has at his disposal. He's had the biggest budget in the respective division these last two seasons. I'm sure if Crawley had the same budget for wages and transfer fees, they'd be top three as well, despite their 'new-fangled' style.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure about possession football either at this level. I think it could work if you have a solid defence to build on and know when to mix it up, but as we've proven, it can be self-destructive without the right personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post

I doubt the brother will do the same as Pavis and sell players to fund unnecessary ground improvements leading to relegation. Hopefully it's the opposite to that and it shows JJ and Macca our ambitions to go forwards without putting the club in a financial mess like so many others.
    I don’t think the ground improvements under Pavis were unnecessary. What a tip it would be now if he hadn’t spent then.
    As for the current plans, the money does have to come from somewhere. And the repeated stated aim is to become self sufficient in the long term.
    I suppose if ticket prices went up by £2 a game all round that would give the club about £500k to go towards it.

I don’t think the ground improvements under Pavis were unnecessary. What a tip it would be now if he hadn’t spent then.
    As for the current plans, the money does have to come from somewhere. And the repeated stated aim is to become self sufficient in the long term.
    I suppose if ticket prices went up by £2 a game all round that would give the club about £500k to go towards it.
    No, the repeated aim is not self sufficient. Please read the latest statement from Joe Palmer

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...update-080424/

Following the recent message from our board of directors, which highlighted the importance of the club maximising its commercial revenues in order to support a sustainable pursuit of their substantial, long-term footballing ambitions, I’m pleased to bring you an overview of the work that’s been carried out, and the significant financial commitments Chris and Alex Reedtz have made, towards that in 2023-24.
    Sustainable has a different meaning to self sufficient. Sustainable has a different meaning to profitable. "A sustainable plan, method, or system is designed to continue at the same rate or level of activity without any problems. " ie the Bros can for the foreseeable future continue to support the club.

I do wish people would stop conflating the terms, it leads to unnecessary anxiety to others.

The building of the main stand certainly was, selling 2 top players to build that was crazy back then and helped relegate us. Staying in what would have been the Premier League the following season wasn't forward thinking at all. We could easy have used that stand for a few more seasons if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    No, the repeated aim is not self sufficient. Please read the latest statement from Joe Palmer

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...update-080424/

Sustainable has a different meaning to self sufficient. Sustainable has a different meaning to profitable. "A sustainable plan, method, or system is designed to continue at the same rate or level of activity without any problems. " ie the Bros can for the foreseeable future continue to support the club.

I do wish people would stop conflating the terms, it leads to unnecessary anxiety to others.
    You are quite correct Old_pie, they do use the word "sustainable".
    "Self sufficiency" is the ultimate way of becomimg "sustainable" though.

Further down in the statement we have
    "What you can control is your chance of being successful over time and, by delivering on what I’ve spoken about today, we will take the club to another level financially and move towards achieving the state of ‘football eutopia’ by breaking even, or better still becoming profitable, while also providing one of the most competitive budgets in the league and the best possible experience for our fans."

That sounds like a target of self sufficiency to me. However unlikely.

The indisputable fact remains though that the money has to come from somewhere.
    The owners? The sale of players? The fans? Having a small playing squad and running a very tight ship? Commercial revenue?
    You tell me. Probably be a mixture of all of them.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast