+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Will JJ & Macca be with us next season ?

It is surprising how some peoples eyes drift away from the prize. I can happily cope with pigeon crap on the seats provided the stuff on the pitch is good. The most important thing is results on the pitch, the punters "experience" should be a firm second.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The building of the main stand certainly was, selling 2 top players to build that was crazy back then and helped relegate us. Staying in what would have been the Premier League the following season wasn't forward thinking at all. We could easy have used that stand for a few more seasons if needed.
    Pavis took a gamble that minimised his chance of winning the bet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    You are quite correct Old_pie, they do use the word "sustainable".
    "Self sufficiency" is the ultimate way of becomimg "sustainable" though.

Further down in the statement we have
    "What you can control is your chance of being successful over time and, by delivering on what I’ve spoken about today, we will take the club to another level financially and move towards achieving the state of ‘football eutopia’ by breaking even, or better still becoming profitable, while also providing one of the most competitive budgets in the league and the best possible experience for our fans."

That sounds like a target of self sufficiency to me. However unlikely.

The indisputable fact remains though that the money has to come from somewhere.
    The owners? The sale of players? The fans? Having a small playing squad and running a very tight ship? Commercial revenue?
    You tell me. Probably be a mixture of all of them.
    I suspect that they will attempt all the right things to achieve modest success whilst staying within a limit of what they seem reasonable to plough into the club if and as necessary. Profitabity is a hope as I read it rather than a primary target.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    It is surprising how some peoples eyes drift away from the prize. I can happily cope with pigeon crap on the seats provided the stuff on the pitch is good. The most important thing is results on the pitch, the punters "experience" should be a firm second.
    I don’t suppose it has to be one or the other. Matchday experience, success on the pitch and bigger crowds should, in theory, go hand in hand with each other.

Just on the Pavis issue, it wasn’t building the stands that was shortsighted it was flogging Rideout.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I don’t suppose it has to be one or the other. Matchday experience, success on the pitch and bigger crowds should, in theory, go hand in hand with each other.

Just on the Pavis issue, it wasn’t building the stands that was shortsighted it was flogging Rideout.
    My memory is playing tricks on me. What was the £10 donation for if we'd already bought Rideout? Or was it to stop him from being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    My memory is playing tricks on me. What was the £10 donation for if we'd already bought Rideout? Or was it to stop him from being sold?
    The only thing I donated to was 20 quid for Glen Roeder

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    Oops - as I said my memory is playing tricks. Thanks, I was in the wrong decade

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    And a quid a match for Craig Ramage's wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Oops - as I said my memory is playing tricks. Thanks, I was in the wrong decade
    🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    The building of the main stand certainly was, selling 2 top players to build that was crazy back then and helped relegate us. Staying in what would have been the Premier League the following season wasn't forward thinking at all. We could easy have used that stand for a few more seasons if needed.
    The main stand was rebuilt because the Taylor Report recommended that all stadiums in the top 2 flights should become all-seated by 1994 and all 4 divisions later. As soon as we'd built it, that rule was rescinded for the lower 2 leagues, which is why, over 30 years later, there's still terracing at Lg1/2 grounds.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast