+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sean Longstaff...

Sean Longstaff...

Just... isn't good enough is he lads?

I'm all for keeping him next season as a bench player but we seriously need an upgrade in the summer..

Does he get a game over Tonali, Bruno, Joelinton. Willock, Anderson or Miley? for me.. its a No

Sadly, I think you're right, Tut. For the amount of ball he gets in good areas he should probably do more. Would definitely like him to stay but, if we're to progress, Longstaff as a starter won't really cut it.

He was brilliant last season & earlier this season. He'd started to add goals to his game.

He's been carrying an injury for months, taking injections so he can play on due to the sheer lack of options we have in his position.

To answer your question Tut - With a fully fit squad our starting midfield 3 is Tonali, Bruno & Joelinton. 4th choice Willock.

Squad players Longstaff, Anderson, Miley.

Once again, had we been able to rotate players we'd see a lot better performances from Longstaff etc.

However, the standard of play has fallen substantially due to fatigue & lack of options.

Longstaff is the Murphy of Central Midfield. Happy to keep them both as squad players but we definitely need to ensure we have a lot better quality in the first team when the new season kicks off in August

Keep him as squad back up. There's a player in there.

Poundland Scotty Parker

Just to add my reasoning too 😆

Slows the game down whenever he gets the ball

Rarely plays it forward, 90% of the time he’ll play it sideways or backwards

Basic as f**k, which wouldn’t be bad if he was bulletproof in doing so… but the amount of times he loses the ball it or the ball gets taken off his toes when he is working out what to do.

Pops up every now and again, and no one gets to be a professional unless they are head and shoulders over any of us have ever/would ever be… but I doubt there’s a team in the top half of the table that would buy him, and the most likely teams to come in for him are those at the bottom of the table going down or Championship teams coming up… which tells it’s own story.

If he wasn’t local there’d be a lot less support for him, and as said he’s not gonna be a first choice pick… he’s definitely behind Bruno/Joelinton/Tonali/Willock and will soon be behind Miley and possibly Anderson (still not seen enough of him in the Prem to decide what I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Magzer View Post
    Keep him as squad back up. There's a player in there.
    Through no fault of his own he has played to much game time this season and is close to being burnt out. As you say Magzer, look at him last season and there is a player in there.

If we get that Brazilian Ederson fella from Atalanta I'd say it might be best that the club cash in on Sean. We've got Anderson & Miley coming through as local Academy products & it's 100% profit on Longstaff. So a decent £25-30m offer might sway the club to make that deal.

It would be great to see ManUre come back in with a £50m offer for him, it would be about right for those muppets.

The reverse Nicky Butt. A player who'd have his B&W shirt on under that dirty red rag

I genuinely loath that team

He's definitely better than the player, that is currently playing but as pointed out - he's carry injury and is close to burn out but we have nobody that could come in.

I don't think we'll sell him in the summer personally, even if we sign someone else in his position. However, it equally wouldn't surprise me if we did.

Agreed he is a squad player but he is a solid option to have as a squad player.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)