+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it about time the 'Old Girl' was laid to rest?

Is it about time the 'Old Girl' was laid to rest?

We all have absolute fantastic memories of 'Millmoor' I would imagine far too many to put on this site, but feel free if you wish to do so. I have millions. A quick one, my mate and me stayed behind to see Ally Pickering score the winner in a lengthy penalty shoot out against Sc.unthorpe. We missed our ride down the pit shaft at Silverwood at 10pm and we had 2 hours wages stopped as we rode at midnight but we didn't give a damn, we witnessed a first!

The point of my post is, as much as the fall out out with the Booths and Stewart, subsequently seeing us leave our town for four seasons before Stewart brought our club 'back home', isn't it about time she was for want of a phrase laid to rest and let the Booth family redevelop the site to other uses?

Okay, this wont probably go down very well, oh and by the way, I'm not getting anything financially by posting this, the thing is concrete lasts for only so many years. How old is the concrete around the footings of the floodlights for a starter? It's going to start falling down soon even if we don't want it to.

When I visit our 'relatively' new stadium, by modern day standards, I always look across Masborough and see the 'Old girl' and smile but with a view it's about time she left Rotherham's landscape and the total focus could therefore be on the NYS, am I wrong with that feeling?

Did you regret losing those 2 hours pay when you finally found out it wasn't the first FA Cup match to be decided on penalties?

It's not really serving much purpose at the moment so maybe should be redeveloped but then again you could say the same for many parts of Rotherham.

I should start with the Guest & Chrimes building first in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Did you regret losing those 2 hours pay when you finally found out it wasn't the first FA Cup match to be decided on penalties?

It's not really serving much purpose at the moment so maybe should be redeveloped but then again you could say the same for many parts of Rotherham.
    CAM I know the history so no, I bloody loved it as it was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    I should start with the Guest & Chrimes building first in the area.
    Does Stewart actually own that land or is it still council owned? We all all know its under 'heritage s.hit I don't really care' land.

There a bit further down in this article which is an answer to your question…

https://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2024/03/ne...venue.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    We all have absolute fantastic memories of 'Millmoor' I would imagine far too many to put on this site, but feel free if you wish to do so. I have millions. A quick one, my mate and me stayed behind to see Ally Pickering score the winner in a lengthy penalty shoot out against Sc.unthorpe. We missed our ride down the pit shaft at Silverwood at 10pm and we had 2 hours wages stopped as we rode at midnight but we didn't give a damn, we witnessed a first!

The point of my post is, as much as the fall out out with the Booths and Stewart, subsequently seeing us leave our town for four seasons before Stewart brought our club 'back home', isn't it about time she was for want of a phrase laid to rest and let the Booth family redevelop the site to other uses?

Okay, this wont probably go down very well, oh and by the way, I'm not getting anything financially by posting this, the thing is concrete lasts for only so many years. How old is the concrete around the footings of the floodlights for a starter? It's going to start falling down soon even if we don't want it to.

When I visit our 'relatively' new stadium, by modern day standards, I always look across Masborough and see the 'Old girl' and smile but with a view it's about time she left Rotherham's landscape and the total focus could therefore be on the NYS, am I wrong with that feeling?
    I am surprised the floodlights haven’t been removed.i am sure they won’t work so won”t effect the covenant…

there won’t be many pylon type like that left now but wasn’t ours supposed the tallest in the league at the time ..?..

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    I am surprised the floodlights haven’t been removed.i am sure they won’t work so won”t effect the covenant…

there won’t be many pylon type like that left now but wasn’t ours supposed the tallest in the league at the time ..?..
    Clarkey yes indeed and that record still stands today.

By the way, the Booth family dismantled the generators supplying the power to the floodlights soon after RUFC left Millmoor

" they can tear it all down and build something new but all I'll remember what was once there " 65 my 1st game there been everywhere in that ground can't just forget it like it was not there. Town centre doesn't look much better most of my old pubs have gone.

Millmoor Memory

5 of us used to but a 50/50 each game and the guest drawing it at half time was Jeremy Beadle. Being young daft lads we were shouting at him to dig deep with his gimpy hand to draw the ticket and other stupid stuff we thought was funny at the time.
    he then pulled my winning ticket £1800 - He was not happy with us when we collected the winnings, gave us a stern word about abusing people and refused to have his photo taken with us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast