+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Munto Documentary In the Works

New Munto Documentary In the Works

The story that refuses to go away…

EXCLUSIVE: The extraordinary exploits of convicted fraudster Russell King will be recounted in King of All Cons (WT), a feature doc that has just gone into production. Emmy-nominated Dash Pictures is making the film with Sky in the UK and Matthew Lorenzo Productions, the indie set up by the titular Lorenzo, a former Sky Sports presenter.

Individuals who King duped included Sven Goran Eriksson, the one-time England soccer team manager, as part of an infamous scheme to buy Notts County, the world’s oldest soccer club. The film will use a mix of archive and interviews with the main players on the story, including Eriksson — who disclosed a terminal cancer diagnosis in January. Former England soccer star Sol Campbell also features.

King’s other nefarious exploits include negotiating a deal to extract all of North Korea’s mineral reserves. The action in the film moves between Bahrain, North Korea, London’s plush Dorchester Hotel, the UK’s financial district and Meadow Lane, the humble home of Notts County.

Lorenzo, a well-known face to UK sports fans as a former presenter on Sky Sports, has a personal connection with the King of All Cons story because the fraudster at one time recruited him to handle his PR.

Lorenzo’s production banner and Dash have worked together previously on projects including Hurst: The First and Only about England World Cup winning soccer captain Geoff Hurst, which also played on Sky. “We work well together and between us we have the right skills to get the most out of a huge story: to bring out the drama and the emotion, and to give some of King’s victims a chance to have their say,” he said.

Dash founder Daniel Sharp is at MipTV this week, and exec produces. “Leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Russell King committed fraud after fraud, each one more fantastical than the last,” he said. “This is documentary gold – comical, shocking, occasionally horrific but always entertaining and constantly underwritten by a sense of malice and lack of empathy.”

The film will bow on Sky Documentaries in the UK and on Sky streaming service NOW. The extraordinary tale of King’s activities “at first appears like it could only be a work of fiction,” said Jack Oliver, Head of Co-Productions at the pay TV giant. “But it really happened, and Matt was there as it all unraveled… we can’t wait to see this complex and character-driven documentary come to life.”

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-kin...ty-1235878465/

Humble home? Bloody cheek!

'Soccer'? Aaagh.

Can't say I'd be interested, all water under the bridge.

Unless there is new material what's the point?

They won't be making this for Notts fans, it'll be for people with an interest in football in general who aren't so familiar with the story. If there was ever going to be a TV film documentary about Munto then it obviously has to be done now, whilst Sven is still with us.

Like it or not it's the most interesting thing about Notts over the last 30 years.

Surely there should be more to this than the fraudulent acquisition of Notts? I thought Russell King also brought down a City of London bank and the Sauber F1 team for just two other examples. The only thing I'm mildly interested in is how he has avoided being nabbed or bumped off. And I'm definitely not interested in what Sol Campbell has to say about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Surely there should be more to this than the fraudulent acquisition of Notts? I thought Russell King also brought down a City of London bank and the Sauber F1 team for just two other examples. The only thing I'm mildly interested in is how he has avoided being nabbed or bumped off. And I'm definitely not interested in what Sol Campbell has to say about anything.
    Well Campbell wasnt here long enough to say anything !

In fairness to Campbell he was quick to spot the ruse and he could if he wanted said he wanted contract paying, of course if he did that he would get nothing as the club would have folded so he wasn’t a bad person.

I’d like to know more why he took over Notts’s as financially it was never going to work for him? I’ve always believed it was to give him more credibility in trying to getting the mining deal done in North Korea or was he just totally oblivious how football clubs burn money for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I’d like to know more why he took over Notts’s as financially it was never going to work for him? I’ve always believed it was to give him more credibility in trying to getting the mining deal done in North Korea or was he just totally oblivious how football clubs burn money for fun?
    It could be that Russell King lost money with Notts, but Notts County won promotion on the back of the signings.

Did Russell King, through his fraud help Notts County?

If the documentary has an interview with Mr King, I'll watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast