+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitch Problems

Pitch Problems

How much do you reckong it would cost to rectify this pre-season?
    I was talking to I highly experienced greenkeeper who has been contacted for advice,he needs at least 3 months to properly sort the issues out so they would need to start right after season finishes.
    That's assuming they address it.Pitch didn't look to bad on Saturday,I feared worse but now the rangers are involved this won't go away.

Need to fix this properly. Think we will be at Dens for a couple more seasons, at least, so partial repair will still leave us at risk.

Depends what problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Depends what problem is.
    I wud guess a drainage issue,boy I spoke to said roots were ****ed.
    No an expert and no sure if it wud be just certain areas but major work needed was the call.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    I wud guess a drainage issue,boy I spoke to said roots were ****ed.
    No an expert and no sure if it wud be just certain areas but major work needed was the call.
    It was needed 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    It was needed 5 years ago.
    What was?

I reckon there is a fair amount of work, costly work, needing done to sort matters out in the close season because, let's face it, the most optimistic take on the new stadium, if we are realistic, is another 2 years at Dens. Leaving comments about Nelms himself aside and let's just say management had a call to make as to how much work was required on the pitch as the timelines for the new Stadium stretched and we gained promotion. Ok we got it wrong but it was likely a judgement call rather than total neglect. They would have been looking at how much or in our case how little would require to be spent to get through an indeterminate number of seasons keeping play on the park but not spending pointless sums if moving was indeed fairly imminent. This is good management of funds so long as you get it right, which of course we didn't. Imo if we were still in the Championship there would not have been the same furore. Likely some of the postponements would not have happened out with the Premier League; I'm sure many of the pitches passed fit in the lower leagues have been no better than Dens at times this season. The main thing though is that if said judgement call was in fact made any criteria taken into account would have been blown out of the water by the untypical and, even for a climate change sceptic like me, extreme rainfall we have experienced over this season. A year's rain in a couple of months, double annual rainfall and a complete reversal of the usual west/east rainfall distribution falls imo into extreme territory.

This climate input into the equation does not exonerate management from a poor decision regarding pitch maintenance but it goes a long way to being a major contributing factor to our problems which I hope are being strongly articulated to the SPFL.

Finally, and in support of the aforementioned, we are currently in the middle of a severe weather warning for rain today, Tuesday with another set for tomorrow matchday. April showers????

I think the main issue now is that's it's in the public eye and every postponement from now on will be scrutinized.
    It's up to the club to sort out the pitch for next season asap.
    What's done is done but fines and points deductions ain't far away imo so needs sorted or the good work tony doc is doing will be a waste of time.

😂 it's been in most DFC supporters eyes for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    I reckon there is a fair amount of work, costly work, needing done to sort matters out in the close season because, let's face it, the most optimistic take on the new stadium, if we are realistic, is another 2 years at Dens. Leaving comments about Nelms himself aside and let's just say management had a call to make as to how much work was required on the pitch as the timelines for the new Stadium stretched and we gained promotion. Ok we got it wrong but it was likely a judgement call rather than total neglect. They would have been looking at how much or in our case how little would require to be spent to get through an indeterminate number of seasons keeping play on the park but not spending pointless sums if moving was indeed fairly imminent. This is good management of funds so long as you get it right, which of course we didn't. Imo if we were still in the Championship there would not have been the same furore. Likely some of the postponements would not have happened out with the Premier League; I'm sure many of the pitches passed fit in the lower leagues have been no better than Dens at times this season. The main thing though is that if said judgement call was in fact made any criteria taken into account would have been blown out of the water by the untypical and, even for a climate change sceptic like me, extreme rainfall we have experienced over this season. A year's rain in a couple of months, double annual rainfall and a complete reversal of the usual west/east rainfall distribution falls imo into extreme territory.

This climate input into the equation does not exonerate management from a poor decision regarding pitch maintenance but it goes a long way to being a major contributing factor to our problems which I hope are being strongly articulated to the SPFL.

Finally, and in support of the aforementioned, we are currently in the middle of a severe weather warning for rain today, Tuesday with another set for tomorrow matchday. April showers????
    Severe weather warnings issued if it rains for 2 hours, completely worthless and people trying to justify themselves as important.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)