+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Can anyone recall TV news not reporting on a daily murder case in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    As a nipper growing up on Chemist Lane (1950s) I remember very well when a local barber ( Crapper? ) was murdered in Thornhill/Masboro .
    All men ( women didn't commit murder back then ) were finger printed by door to door enquiry team . My eldest brother had been called up for the army and was on his way to Singapore but the police still made contact and he had his dabs taken when he arrived !
    Lincs, this link will interest you:

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/...step=1&itemx=9

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    What is it with society where we read now on a daily basis that yet another murder has been committed.

I have never heard/read via TV/radio as much, where murders are now a daily norm. We must now have the most unstable society ever and that's saying something when you look back on previous years/centuries. It makes you wonder what you might come across going about your daily life.
    Out of interest, what motivated you to post this today?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestCorner View Post
    Out of interest, what motivated you to post this today?
    Last nights news on the young man who was stabbed to death in a nightclub and his killers jailed, today the capture of the suspected murderer of that poor young woman walking her baby and two people who have now been charged with a women's murder in London, not much to go on really just another day in paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Both stats only carry information up to 2020 and 2021, a lot could have changed in the last three years since your chart RP.
    Gov stats show murder rate went up from 9.3 per million in March 2021 to 11.5 per million in March 2022 but then dropped back down to 9.9 per million in March 2023.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2023

Murder rates were consistentlu higher from 1984 staying over 10 per million and rising to max of 17 per million in 2003 before slowly falling back to fluctuating between 9 and 11 per million in the years from 2012.

Unless there has been a sudden spike between March 23 and we are currently on course for a weird spike then it is likely to be somewhere in that range - it tends to only spike over that when there have been mass murders recorded in particular years. Odd that we didn't all have melt down in the years 98 to 03 when the muder rates did significantly climb.

I think much of this is just the more intense and competitive news reporting all aiming to catch our attention, which sadly murders always will do. Rubber necking sells, unfortunately, but it does create anxiety.

And what’s the difference between a murder on the news and a brutal murder ?

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Yet murder rates are down from the 1980's and 1990's.

Let's not let facts get in the way.
    I didn't mention that they were higher but I see where I put the comment in with other crimes that you may have thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Gov stats show murder rate went up from 9.3 per million in March 2021 to 11.5 per million in March 2022 but then dropped back down to 9.9 per million in March 2023.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2023

Murder rates were consistentlu higher from 1984 staying over 10 per million and rising to max of 17 per million in 2003 before slowly falling back to fluctuating between 9 and 11 per million in the years from 2012.

Unless there has been a sudden spike between March 23 and we are currently on course for a weird spike then it is likely to be somewhere in that range - it tends to only spike over that when there have been mass murders recorded in particular years. Odd that we didn't all have melt down in the years 98 to 03 when the muder rates did significantly climb.

I think much of this is just the more intense and competitive news reporting all aiming to catch our attention, which sadly murders always will do. Rubber necking sells, unfortunately, but it does create anxiety.
    rp, thank you for that more detailed breakdown instead of just a graph which really doesn't say as much as you have.

Murder is down but violent crime is up.

Guess this must mean that due to improvements in medicine more people survive violent attacks. Surgeons in London have certainly had a lot of practice with knife victims.

Name:  8m5ksr.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  40.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Murder is down but violent crime is up.

Guess this must mean that due to improvements in medicine more people survive violent attacks. Surgeons in London have certainly had a lot of practice with knife victims.
    I agree

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast