+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Paul Mullin - My Wrexham Story

I have to say regards cheating / falling over we have / and have had our fair share, Duffy, Baldwin, Bostock and the worlds worst Cameron, give us Mullins any day of the week please, I'm sure this debate was on other boards when people loved to hate Lee Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I have to say regards cheating / falling over we have / and have had our fair share, Duffy, Baldwin, Bostock and the worlds worst Cameron, give us Mullins any day of the week please, I'm sure this debate was on other boards when people loved to hate Lee Hughes.
    Yeah, at least Mullin's dives lead to something positive for the team. What is it with Notts and diving centre-backs? Duffy was the absolute worst for that, going down like he'd been shot. The refs bought it most of the time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Here's one for you and I know what the answers will be but hey ho... Would you swap Mullin for Langstaff this summer? Given that Mullin contributes more in games (i think thats fair to say) but you may lose a few goals...
    I would stick with ML simply because he might have a greater market value? Also, with the way we are currently playing I don't think PM would get the service he needs. ML might be a bit faster reacting in the box than PM but I think they both feed on balls into space for one touch and a dig, ML isn't getting much and neither would PM.
    PM is productive for you because you don't squeeze 20 players into a 10 x 10 yd box (To the usuals; 10x10 is a dash of sarcasm)
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 11-04-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benfostersgloves View Post
    here's one for you and i know what the answers will be but hey ho... Would you swap mullin for langstaff this summer? Given that mullin contributes more in games (i think thats fair to say) but you may lose a few goals...

Here's one for you and I know what the answers will be but hey ho... Would you swap Mullin for Langstaff this summer? Given that Mullin contributes more in games (i think thats fair to say) but you may lose a few goals...
    Dodgy question really. Langstaff cost us a reported £50,000 and was probably on a fifth of Mullin's salary at best when he came to us. Despite coming from the bargain basement he easily outscored Mullin, and without taking any penalties in the NL season. If it's purely on ability I would say Mullin shades it, if it's on value for money Langstaff wins by a country mile.

Exactly - players generally get away with it so they do it. For me its the same level of 'cheating' as stealing a few yards on a throw in or free kick.

Ref's are a far bigger issue. L2 refs are a slight upgrade on last season but its not by much.

A problem we've had this season, especially at home is that some ref's just won't give us anything at all because its obvious they're scared they'll be accused of bias towards us, so they then go too far and we get nothing. Or maybe some refs just hate us.

Anyway, Mullin is a God.

For me in a heartbeat. Langstaff is still a little green and by the time/if he gets his trade off to a tee, he won't be at Notts County. Langstaff doesn't seem to do it in the big games for some reason. I'm not sure why. It's not for lack of effort

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, at least Mullin's dives lead to something positive for the team. What is it with Notts and diving centre-backs? Duffy was the absolute worst for that, going down like he'd been shot. The refs bought it most of the time as well.
    There's two types of diving though. Some players to do it to get something positive for their team - like you said. The other is because they just aren't up to it, or their head isn't in the right place - then it's embarrassing - like Duffy.

Tough one! Obviously I'm biased towards Langstaff because he's our player. He's a bit younger and is on an amazing journey up through the leagues. Mullin is a different beast and dropped down two divisions for the money to play at a level waaaay below his.

Langstaff scores marginally more goals, but I'd say Mullin is the better all-round player, and I don't think many would disagree. If Langstaff signed for Wrexham and you played us, I'd be more nervous about Mullin than him. And if I were a defender, I'd rather face Langstaff than Mullin for sure. So I think that says everything you need to know.

Whether I'd swap Mullin for Langstaff is another question, given the age difference and how well Macca has fitted into our team and system. As Luke Williams rightly said, he's the King of Meadow Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Tough one! Obviously I'm biased towards Langstaff because he's our player. He's a bit younger and is on an amazing journey up through the leagues. Mullin is a different beast and dropped down two divisions for the money to play at a level waaaay below his.

Langstaff scores marginally more goals, but I'd say Mullin is the better all-round player, and I don't think many would disagree. If Langstaff signed for Wrexham and you played us, I'd be more nervous about Mullin than him. And if I were a defender, I'd rather face Langstaff than Mullin for sure. So I think that says everything you need to know.

Whether I'd swap Mullin for Langstaff is another question, given the age difference and how well Macca has fitted into our team and system. As Luke Williams rightly said, he's the King of Meadow Lane.
    Mullin did move to us for the money of course, but that money was on offer elsewhere so it wasn't purely that. That fact we are 45 minutes from his home clinched it, he's said so himself.

Its going to be an interesting summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    For me in a heartbeat. Langstaff is still a little green and by the time/if he gets his trade off to a tee, he won't be at Notts County. Langstaff doesn't seem to do it in the big games for some reason. I'm not sure why. It's not for lack of effort
    I think the 'Langstaff doesn't do it in big games' thing is a bit overblown. Last season the big games were against Wrexham and Chesterfield. He scored one against Wrexham and three against Chesterfield.

This season he hasn't scored against teams like Mansfield or Wrexham, but it's obviously harder to score against the stronger teams. I don't think it's a psychological block where he becomes too overwhelmed by being at Field Mill or whatever it's called. It's just the way things went in those games - you can't score every chance in every game.

Mullin is definitely a big-game player though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast