+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you collect art or have a favourite artist?

Do any of you collect art or have a favourite artist?

I’m not a collector per se but over the years I’ve bought a few by Doug Hyde who does the childlike smiley face art.

I also have a few by a guy called Duncan McGregor who has a funky way of painting sailboats and coastal scenes.

Just recently I’ve bought an atmospheric river scene by s guy called John Waterhouse for my place in Harrogate, his are more traditional type paintings.

I really like pop art though even though I own none.

I’m thinking of sticking an Amy Winehouse or Kate Budh really vivid coloured pop art up in a room in Harrogate, the wife isn’t a fan of such stuff so it could get interesting?

Anyone have any of the above or a different favourite?

I don't collect art per se but I do collect unusual quality itens. I do have one large oil painting by a famous Irish artist hanginga on my wall. Very abstract with lots of colours in it. The piece was over £3000 about 16 years ago. The deal was buy it for 5 years and the art house would buy it back at an increase of 20% on the buying price.
    When the time came I had quite gotten to like it. So it still hangs on the wall.
    But I do collect native American Indian wood flutes. I have ove 30 of them ranging from A through to G, which are very Low in tone.
    Also collect quality Oudh oils and Sandalwood to make attars.
    And fountain pens. Love thoes ols refill pens for writing...
    I think I have answered a question you never asked Mick...

Love art, have a number of pieces by a relatively new artist ‘Chloe Nugent’ mixed media stuff, also a few victorian oil on canvas , one in particular is of the first Gordon Bennett hot air balloon race, it’s a big canvas but was never quite finished, hence no idea of the artist but was certainly someone with talent, very much in the impressionist style. My advice is if you like it buy it!
    Always on the lookout via various auction filters, get some real bargains this way and avoid huge art gallery mark up.
    I am a bit of a magpie (not hoarder) collect vintage watches, silver bits(mostly vesta cases), classic vehicles (1976 VW T2 Westfalia/MGB and 62 Lambretta MK3) and Dubs as above have a couple of pens, early Montblanc and Parker 18k nibs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    ......and Dubs as above have a couple of pens, early Montblanc and Parker 18k nibs.
    Do some calligraphy writing with one of the sets.
    I think it's the only gold I have is the nibs
    More a silver collector. Lots of very ancient silver rings from sub Saharan region.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Do some calligraphy writing with one of the sets.
    I think it's the only gold I have is the nibs
    More a silver collector. Lots of very ancient silver rings from sub Saharan region.
    How did you come by the rings and is there any interesting context? I have a late Roman era silver ring that came from a dig in Poland and a few Roman coins found in Cambridge, love the history.

I like paintings by an artist called Alan Streets. He paints street scenes etc. The paintings are weird and strange as the guy is schizophrenic. I have one painting by him as his work is quite affordable. I also love the work by Gerhard Richter whose work is stupidly expensive and completely out of reach for the ordinary working man.

Have always loved art from a young age (my dad was an art teacher so may have influenced that!) and so still like to visit ********* when I have the opportunity. Sadly, finances have meant that Ive been unable to afford to buy any paintings so have had to content myself with a few prints although with our place being quite small I wouldn't have the space to display them anyway!

Favourite artist? As with music, I like quite a broad range of art from different periods and cultures but particularly like Caravaggio, Degas, Egon Schiele as examples. My only natural talent is perhaps for art but since I chose university over art school after my A-levels and work and family then took over I've done very little. A few years ago I started to go to life classes with my eldest lad who works in theatre and film set design which I really enjoyed. Was a bit frustrating at first as I was quite rusty but slowly began to produce better stuff. Think this is one hobby that will have to wait until retirement !!

As a history buff I'd happily join others on here collecting various items but the better half complains enough as it is that our small bungalow is already full of all my "crap" (she means, of course, my "collections" &#128513 and my propensity to hoard. I have, however, inherited a pretty decent coin collection from my Grandad that I've occasionally added to along with some cigarette cards so will have to content myself with those. Quite envious of others on here like Dubs and DaveP in this regard and their collections sound interesting. I wonder how many of the younger generation will go on to share such interests ?

Why won't it let me type "g a l l e r i e s" ?

I am no art expert but when watching ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ or ‘Portrait Artist of the Year’ I more often than not pick the winners in each programme. This is because they are invariably the ones that I think are the worst. Funny that, isn’t it? I’ve stopped watching now!

Yes, love art. My wife is an artist (musician artist thing, my last wife was an artist too) My favourite painting is the 3rd of May by Goya which as a kid had a profound effect on me. Modern day artist I like the black canvas artist Alexandre Onishenko.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)