+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Play Off Thread.

The Play Off Thread.

The only remaining threat to our top six position in reality is Hull

With our goal difference being so superior to all of our top six challengers this effectively leaves Hull needing 8 points from 4 matches

They’ve now got Watford and Coventry away and then Ipswich at home before playing Plymouth away.

So before anyone starts cacking their pants, they are very unlikely to amass 8 points from those tough matches.

If we only get 2 points from our remaining games they need to win 3 and draw 1 of their last 4.

The other thing is, they have to play Coventry and so one of them cuts the others throat or they both cut each others by drawing.

I’m not remotely nervous about our play off spot, what I am though is extremely p I s s e d at team selection again today with Trevor “I Can Make You Feel Bad” Shalamar in the side, there’s just no real excuse for this.

As for Asante, I think this is now twice he’s picked up a stupid red playing for us, the boy is an idiot.

The lack of form and the lack of a true centre forward are what’s now worrying me.

Whatever happens, we have to sort out the number 9 problem this summer, we can have bit part players in that spot anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

With our goal difference being so superior to all of our top six challengers this effectively leaves Hull needing 8 points from 4 matches

They’ve now got Watford and Coventry away and then Ipswich at home before playing Plymouth away.

So before anyone starts cacking their pants, they are very unlikely to amass 8 points from those tough matches.

If we only get 2 points from our remaining games they need to win 3 and draw 1 of their last 4.

The other thing is, they have to play Coventry and so one of them cuts the others throat or they both cut each others by drawing.

I’m not remotely nervous about our play off spot, what I am though is extremely p I s s e d at team selection again today with Trevor “I Can Make You Feel Bad” Shalamar in the side, there’s just no real excuse for this.

As for Asante, I think this is now twice he’s picked up a stupid red playing for us, the boy is an idiot.

The lack of form and the lack of a true centre forward are what’s now worrying me.

Whatever happens, we have to sort out the number 9 problem this summer, we can have bit part players in that spot anymore.

All good points Mick but the main cacking the pants is not so much whether we reach the play offs but the awful performances going into the play offs!

Does Carlos even know his best starting 11? I get keeping players fresh but Chalobah starting for example along side two poor full backs!

Looks like we looking at 6th place now with Norwich next 2 games at home. Can see them beating both Bristol and Swansea.not sure who we will play then. Was hoping Southampton as we looked destined to play them. Now however Leeds or leics mmm. would not fancy our chances against either. Especially if ratface vardy is fit. Anyhow looks like the blues got lucky today..both Wednesday and Huddersfield blew leads.

As I mentioned previously I think this style of play suits better players than we have, at the moment with this bunch it’s slow, tedious and very very boring to watch, we also lack ideas, teams just sit back against us, the playoffs are a lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    As I mentioned previously I think this style of play suits better players than we have, at the moment with this bunch it’s slow, tedious and very very boring to watch, we also lack ideas, teams just sit back against us, the playoffs are a lottery
    I think the class of M’Vila could come into play in the play offs.

I’d also like to see Maja or Weiman starting at 9 now.

I think the class of M’Vila could come into play in the play offs.

I’d also like to see Maja or Weiman starting at 9 now.
    Agreed.

Yokușlu must start also.

No Townsend please.

Thought Maja was out for the season after Ballard crocked him (without any colour card) at Sunderland …

I agree that the most concerning thing now is our recent poor form going into our closing games. We aren't the only ones in the top 6 faltering but if we don't get back to putting in good performances we definitely won't get anything out of the play offs.

In recent interviews Corberan clearly acknowledged this dip in form and the need to "refresh" key players in time for the bigger games like Leicester hence the selection at Rotherham. No game is easy in this league but today should have been 3 points for us. Whilst I'm in total agreement about the stupidity of BTA in getting a red card which made it incredibly hard for us to then get anything from the game with 10 men, too many other players were not at the races today.

Despite today, I still think that we will remain in the play offs even though we may switch places with Norwich as those below us are still struggling (pleased for Blues btw!) and our goal difference is good. The question of whether we get through them is the moot point. We are capable, on our day, of beating all those currently in the play offs but Leeds, S'hampton and even Norwich will all be tough games. Being Albion, we never make things easy for ourselves either!

At the end of the day though, despite all the current focus on the play offs, maybe we should put things into perspective a bit which is that, all things considered, Corberan and the team have done very well this season. We do not have a quality squad as we have had in the past and we are an upper table Championship team at best but we deserve to be where we are in a very competitive league. Corberan has been a big part of this and whilst (like any manager) he may be legitimately criticised for some things, over all he has brought the best out of mostly average players and instilled a great team spirit. In addition to this, this season we have unearthed a little gem in Tom Fellows and -a massive plus!-have a new owner who has saved us from a dire financial situation and sounds decent as well. Even if we don't get promotion this season, it's a massively different picture now than it was back in August last year.

Promotion, despite the prestige and money gained by being back in the Premiership, brings its own problems and even if we managed to survive that first season it won't be pretty and MOTD viewing certainly won't be very enjoyable! The gulf in money and quality means that any club going up will struggle. Part of me actually enjoys the competitiveness of the Championship more and so won't be too disappointed if we remain another season in it and are able to re-build so that we can push again with a stronger squad.

I don't expect to gain promotion this season -but I will be sorely disappointed and p issed off if we now don't make a good fist of it and start putting in spirited and good performances in these last 3 games.

As for BTA, it was a really stupid mistake from a very likeable young player who has shown so much effort and commitment over this season, often playing as a thankless lone striker. He may not be a natural number 9 goal scorer but he does bring other qualities to the team. Don't think we should forget that. In the meantime, hopefully Maja will return to fitness and come good just at the right time?

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Agreed.

Yokușlu must start also.

No Townsend please.
    I forgot to mention Phillips, I’d be thinking about using him much more now he’s back, even at 9 if necessary.

There’s really nothing to worry about. Anything can happen in the play offs. If we go up we all know we’ll come back down. If we stay in the championship we will build slowly with a good owner. Having a good owner and getting rid of Lai was the best result we’ve had this season. So all is good from a baggies point of view. Sit back enjoy the play offs, be ok about whatever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)