+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big If...

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    LW started the run of bad form, and did nothing to address it. SM walked into a pile of crap that was left to fester by LW.. If LW was still here we would still be on a downward spiral..
    Many others including myself believe that if LW had stayed we would now be in the Play offs at least, but it's all about opinions & we will never know. Good luck to SM & I truly hope he continues to get results next season, can't work out if your post is tongue in cheek or not, but either way COYP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    ... But if Stuart kept going like this then he and the owners would deserve massive extra kudos in my opinion - the belief to hold out under such pressure and to come good - would be exceptional and show a lot of character and strength.
    It's far too early to draw conclusions about a Stuart Maynard revival, but what the owners have made very clear is that they won't be overly influenced or intimidated by fan opinion on social media, unlike their most recent predecessors. They are, I'm sure, respectful of Notts fans and their opinions, but they're not in hock to them.

In their own calm, polite way the owners have laid down a marker in effect saying (without saying it) "'We'll make the decisions, when we want to make them, using our methodology and judgement".

To be frank, that's the way it should be for two reasons:

1. They own the club so it's their right
    2. Decision-making driven by fan opinion on social media ultimately led to abject failure in the past.

Finishing the season with a few wins will be helpful in getting everyone up for next time, and maybe flogging a few more season tickets than we would otherwise have done. All a matter of opinion of course but improvement in performances after the season is effectively over isn’t as impressive as doing it under a bit of pressure.

I’ve not really heard a convincing explanation as to why home form went off a cliff for those 5 games( while away performances were still pretty good) so for me the jury is very much out on Maynard, but at games he’ll certainly get my support if not necessarily with much optimism.

I'm happy for SM to have had a good couple of games, it must have been hard under all the pressure in the losing run. Let's hope this is the start of a revival.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Finishing the season with a few wins will be helpful in getting everyone up for next time, and maybe flogging a few more season tickets than we would otherwise have done. All a matter of opinion of course but improvement in performances after the season is effectively over isn’t as impressive as doing it under a bit of pressure.

I’ve not really heard a convincing explanation as to why home form went off a cliff for those 5 games( while away performances were still pretty good) so for me the jury is very much out on Maynard, but at games he’ll certainly get my support if not necessarily with much optimism.
    In my opinion, we’ve had two bad performances under SM (Gillingham and Crewe), but far more bad results. I think that’s what the club statement was alluding to when they said our stats have still looked positive. And I generally agree.
    Ultimately a manager will be judged on results but it’s a very unfair measure over a short period of time, especially when you’re coming into a club whose form was already on the slide.
    The opinion on him is slowly changing because of the last 3 results. But in truth, the only difference between beating Harrogate/Walsall and many of the losses has been luck. I thought we played better against Wimbledon than we did against Harrogate but we lost 2-0 and the players were boo’d off.
    I think we played much better against stags and Wrexham than we did against Walsall and were robbed of goals in both games. Walsall had over 20 shots yesterday after playing a 3rd of the game with 10 men.
    I said a few weeks ago that I hadn’t seen anything that would suggest SM can’t do the job, and I still think that. We’re still playing good football and the players always seem to work hard. That, to me, is where a new manager needs to be measured.
    Maybe he isn’t turning things around, maybe luck just has a way of levelling out?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    In my opinion, we’ve had two bad performances under SM (Gillingham and Crewe), but far more bad results. I think that’s what the club statement was alluding to when they said our stats have still looked positive. And I generally agree.
    Ultimately a manager will be judged on results but it’s a very unfair measure over a short period of time, especially when you’re coming into a club whose form was already on the slide.
    The opinion on him is slowly changing because of the last 3 results. But in truth, the only difference between beating Harrogate/Walsall and many of the losses has been luck. I thought we played better against Wimbledon than we did against Harrogate but we lost 2-0 and the players were boo’d off.
    I think we played much better against stags and Wrexham than we did against Walsall and were robbed of goals in both games. Walsall had over 20 shots yesterday after playing a 3rd of the game with 10 men.
    I said a few weeks ago that I hadn’t seen anything that would suggest SM can’t do the job, and I still think that. We’re still playing good football and the players always seem to work hard. That, to me, is where a new manager needs to be measured.
    Maybe he isn’t turning things around, maybe luck just has a way of levelling out?
    That’s the thing many fans will be solely judging by results whilst the owners are only solely judging by performance metrics.

The you were not at Swindon away and Salford at home!

Sutton and Salford were abysmal as well. We’ll know in 6ish months whether keeping Maynard was a wise move. Let’s be right though, equalling the club record for successive home defeats was ample reason to get rid, particularly, and unlike previous managers, he got to pick some of the best players in the league. I didn’t like his refusal to take any responsibility for those results either.

Other than maybe deserving a point against Wrexham and Mansfield we deserved all those defeats imo. Next season is obviously a clean slate though.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Many others including myself believe that if LW had stayed we would now be in the Play offs at least, but it's all about opinions & we will never know. Good luck to SM & I truly hope he continues to get results next season, can't work out if your post is tongue in cheek or not, but either way COYP.
    Williams was a one trick pony and refused to change, personally I'm glad he went.. Swansea are welcome to him...

Do our owners strike you as the sort of personalities that would let ego get in the way of sound decisions? They certainly don’t to me.
    The irony is it’s fans that instantly said he’s not good enough that are now letting their ego get in the way by saying things like ‘well if he does prove to be good enough it’s still the owners fault for costing us a playoff spot.’
    The reason why most fans said SM is not good enough is because he wasnt- the worst start in 12 games of any manager yhis centurty
    In my opinion SM appointment finished this season
    Like i was said i was pleased we won 2 matches on the bounce, buti was surprided by people changing there mind so quickly when we did win the 2 games.
    Sm got a lot more to do to convince me he is promnotion material head coach, i see him mid table next season
    And tonights defeat against Stockport shows we are nowhere near promotion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123