+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Phillips, what a little genius he was!

Kevin Phillips, what a little genius he was!

I came across this YouTube of all of his Albion goals which I’ve posted below.

THIS is what a goal scorer looks like, even well into their 30’s.

If you remember, dear old Jeremy refused to give him a new contract after his goals had got us promoted and yet he’d been in magnificent form in the promotion the season……Jeremy also let Gera walk off to Fulham at the same time!

Two of the worst contract decisions we’ve ever made.

Here’s the genius at work, the quality of most of the finishes is top notch.

https://youtu.be/tDVgAI2F-YI?si=LXL8PRMzd1Yx8Osk

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

If you remember, dear old Jeremy refused to give him a new contract after his goals had got us promoted and yet he’d been in magnificent form in the promotion the season……Jeremy also let Gera walk off to Fulham at the same time!

The bald t wat was just intent on filling his own pockets and these decisions were awful along with Berahino and Jonny Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Watching all those strikes reminded me of what it use to be like playing with a good forward.
    Watching some of them seemed like from another era for football.

He was probably the best all round center forward we’ve EVER had including Astle. Phillips could score with his right foot, left foot, deft headers, a delicate chip, diving headers, fox in the box and capable of a 30 yard pile driver. The saddest thing for me is that he was hardly given a chance playing for England. If he had been given a proper chance he could have been our best England center forward ever too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Watching all those strikes reminded me of what it use to be like playing with a good forward.
    Watching some of them seemed like from another era for football.
    You’re not wrong there Dubs.

Given our financial situation and inability to spend much on players we have two choices as I see it,

1/ We get lucky developing a youngster of our own or someone from the lower leagues but end up losing them albeit for good money.

2/ We need to look at a striker of pedigree of 30+ like Vardy or Mullin at Wrexham or the likes and pay them good wages.

If we go with the latter option there’s more chance of being able to hold onto them for longer as they won’t be such transfer targets for other clubs.

I would only go for this age group if they had a good fitness record and we’re still lean and fit like Vardy is at 37.

Loved Super-Sub Kev! Very, very few players had-or have-his goal scoring prowess. Considering how many regard him as one of the best English strikers of all time, Boingy is dead right about his comparative lack of England caps. I'm also in total agreement with you Mick regarding the decisions on both him and Gera - two of the worst ones the club has made.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Loved Super-Sub Kev! Very, very few players had-or have-his goal scoring prowess. Considering how many regard him as one of the best English strikers of all time, Boingy is dead right about his comparative lack of England caps. I'm also in total agreement with you Mick regarding the decisions on both him and Gera - two of the worst ones the club has made.

Lots of others Omeg - letting Evans go for nowt when he was class. Spending 15 million on Grant when it should have been 1 million tops - spending millions on Burke and Zohorse when two donkeys from Blackpool beach would have been better!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Lots of others Omeg - letting Evans go for nowt when he was class. Spending 15 million on Grant when it should have been 1 million tops - spending millions on Burke and Zohorse when two donkeys from Blackpool beach would have been better!
    Evans had a clause that if we was relagated he could leave for a smaller fee , I think he let us down during the 6 months coasting and doing just enough to get his move.
    Super Kev was offered a 18month deal plus if he played 20 games it wouldturn into a 2 year deal .Because he had damage to his knee,he wouldnt take the risk,although told he would easly get the 20 games .
    He went on to play another 4 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    He was probably the best all round center forward we’ve EVER had including Astle........
    When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the world smiles with you. When you're laughing, when you're laughing, the world laughs with you.

Mr. Astle, Mr. Allen and Mr. Regis send their best along with a number of others. SKP was a cracking player who scored some belting goals for us but doesn't really compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the world smiles with you. When you're laughing, when you're laughing, the world laughs with you.

Mr. Astle, Mr. Allen and Mr. Regis send their best along with a number of others. SKP was a cracking player who scored some belting goals for us but doesn't really compare.

Totally agree. Super Kev was good but not in the same league as those three! Willie and Laurie were absolute legends too and nobody comes close!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)