+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen v Celtic (Scottish Cup )

I thought Phillips gave us a presence in the middle when he came on. Nae sure what his actual position is though.

I also thought McGrath put in a great shift, covered a lot of ground. Same with Duk. Just wish he'd stop fannying about looking for fouls when we know he can do better.
    He did a lot of tracking back today too.

Hoilet certainly is a player. Would like to see a match fit version, as you can tell he is head and shoulders our best player with the ball. I hope Clarkson is learning from this guy in training.

Thought Milne did well too when he came on and would be interesting to see how good Sokler is with a run of games under his belt. I reckon there is a good player in him. Good touch and movement. Good in the air the way he can get up for flick ones.

Difficult to criticise the players because they put in a performance and we’re unlucky in many ways.We should have had at least one penalty and I would say var would have given both of them to the Tims.

Too many players in that squad are not good enough if we are to get to the level so many expect Thelin to get us to.

Macdonald redeemed himself with the equaliser but to me he’s far too laid back for a centre back.

Roos lying down with cramp when Duncan was away to take his penalty was a disgrace, he should have saved the Forrest goal as well.

To be honest the only 2 players I saw today that will be able to play in this Thelin high press team is Polvara and possibly McGrath. I could see McKenzie,Devin,Sokler and maybe Shinnie as bench warmers but no more than that.

Feel free to add or subtract to that,I’m not including Miovski and Duk in that because I think they will be gone this summer.Shame in particular about Miovski because it would be good to see him in a good Dons team.

I think Clarkson can play in it too - in the right position further forward. He picks a pass well so would be useful for the quick transitions…

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    I think Clarkson can play in it too - in the right position further forward. He picks a pass well so would be useful for the quick transitions…
    Hell yes. Why we play him in a defensive role is beyond me.
    Possibly a reason our season has been so sh*t.
    I just saw his pass for the Miovski opener. That wasn't a fluke, we know he is capable of that and more. Hopefully Thelin can get him playing how he should. He is a joy to watch when he gets to play to his strengths.

Can create space and chances, just needs the right conditions to prove it.

Miovski. Going to be a sad day when he goes.
    I love the guy.
    You know he cares. His running into our crowd at our third made me love him more.

Would love to see him in a good team, but sadly I think he will go in the summer and I don't think he would entertain either of the cheeks if the came in for him, which is always a plus.

Fair enough but he’s a bit too lightweight for me to be playing in a team who wants to be playing in a high press.

Robson got criticised for playing him in a defensive position but Colin and Leven have played him in a position further forward and he’s been hopeless more often than not.

Yeah he’s not physical, but high press is more about getting quick pressure on & forcing mistakes rather than actually tackling to win the ball.

He’s quick enough to get that pressure on.

Aye he’s been poor overall this season, but we know he’s got ability, & in the right position, in the right setup, with the right players around him, he’s got a lot of value to add…

Yeah he’s not physical, but high press is more about getting quick pressure on & forcing mistakes rather than actually tackling to win the ball.

He’s quick enough to get that pressure on.

Aye he’s been poor overall this season, but we know he’s got ability, & in the right position, in the right setup, with the right players around him, he’s got a lot of value to add…
    Well he’s on a 4 year contract so I doubt he will get binned this summer.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and Thelin can make him an important player in his team next season.

He’s going to have to improve a hell of a lot from his performances this season though.

Clarkson.....dinna know what to make of him.
    He's extravagantly talented with a ba' at his feet, but I am fu cked if I know his best position.
    The obvious answer is "10" in a 4-2-3-1, but his eye for a pass suggests he should be playing deeper with the game in front of him.
    Yet his lack of physicality perhaps inhibits that.
    I think we have, potentially, one helluva midfielder.....but where?
    Over to you Jimmy T.....

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Clarkson.....dinna know what to make of him.
    He's extravagantly talented with a ba' at his feet, but I am fu cked if I know his best position.
    The obvious answer is "10" in a 4-2-3-1, but his eye for a pass suggests he should be playing deeper with the game in front of him.
    Yet his lack of physicality perhaps inhibits that.
    I think we have, potentially, one helluva midfielder.....but where?
    Over to you Jimmy T.....
    Last season, once we got Shinnie and Ramadani together in midfield, we saw the best of Clarkson. He was a joy to watch at times.

This season, because we lost Ramadani and didn't replace him (mind, easily replaced!), we have been all over the shop in midfield with none of our midfielders having really coveredthemselves with glory which has also had a huge impact on our defence performance.

Get the spine of the team sorted and we give ourselves half a chance and allow Clarkson and dare I say McGrath too, as he has been another player not used correctly, to impose themselves more on the attacking front.

Thankfully Thelin has the task of correcting our wrongs, whilst we snipe from the sidelines.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast