+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School Praying Ban Backed

What I can’t comprehend about space is that there is no end to it. It gives me a strange feeling when I think about it and has done from a very young age. Everything has to have an end but what’s beyond that? You can’t say it’s endless, as what’s beyond that? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Back to the chicken and the egg, so how was the life that created the life created?
    Exactly Dave.

Then you think about Big Bang Theory and at first it seems the most plausible answer but then I find myself asking where did the protons and neurons come from that suddenly got out of perfect balance and exploded (I think that’s right?)

It’s like saying that there was once nothingness……..apart from protons and neurons.

What a frustrating subject.

By ‘space’, I suppose you mean the Universe? It appears to be expanding at an ever increasing rate but it is not expanding into an empty space, it is expanding into nothing, I guess that means that as the Universe expands it is actually creating space! I believe that we exist in a multi dimensional multiverse and because we are in a three dimensional state, we just cannot comprehend what an existence in more than those three dimensions. So, I suppose that you can argue that the Universe (ours) is not infinite, it has its ‘edge’, in every direction, but that edge is expanding at an ever increasing rate.

Time is something that fascinates me; our concept and measurement of time is based on observers noting how often our planet orbits the Sun and its rotation. That would seem to be quite amazing if that explained the entire nature of time throughout the Universe! Think about it, what is the smallest period of time? How short can that period of time be? Infinitely small? That is quite a concept to wrap your thoughts around!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    What I can’t comprehend about space is that there is no end to it. It gives me a strange feeling when I think about it and has done from a very young age. Everything has to have an end but what’s beyond that? You can’t say it’s endless, as what’s beyond that? Any suggestions?

How long will the universe last? Something to with it's density, shape and the amount of dark energy apparently. If it's flat it probably has less dark energy which means it'll continue to expand and last a few billion years longer before ending in The Big Freeze/ Big Crunch or whatever. What follows after that? Nothingness (probably). Except that our present thinking is that you cannot simply get rid of energy as it just continues in another form?

Just thinking about all this makes me feel like that Terry Gilliam cartoon character from Monty Python with the rolled up sleeves and handkerchief on his head : "my brain hurts!"

(The answer, as any fule kno, to life, the universe and everything is actually deceptively simple: 42. )

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    There are an awful lot of eminent scientists who now have changed their opinion and subscribe to a creator of the universe. Calling it fairy stories is a rather narrow minded and arrogant statement, in my opinion. But we will all find out for sure eventually. If your theory is correct you ain't gonna know that you were correct. But if you are wrong as I believe you are then you are in for a shock.
    What I don’t believe in is the religious stuff, not the same as believing or otherwise in some form of subsequent consciousness, about which I am agnostic. Religious education is about ‘enlightening’ children about those religions and their history; as far as I know, religion has been used primarily as a means of controlling populations and some unspeakable horrors have been inflicted on people by religious dictats, that applies to all religions. Many religious leaders throughout history have been hypocrites, preaching to the masses while behaving very badly themselves. Should there be any ‘Judgement Day’ for us all, the way that we have behaved towards other people and our planet will be the deciding factors in whether we enjoy eternal bliss or purgatory! None of us are perfect but surely if you treat others as you wish them to treat you, you shouldn’t go far wrong?

Will we find out one day? Who knows? Nobody. I read a quote the other day by Ricky Gervais, ‘When you are dead, you won’t know that you are dead. The same applies to stupid people’! Well, I thought it was funny!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)