+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Au revoir

A lot of people assuming Mansfield will come straight back down. I couldn't disagree more. Clough is an outstanding manager. He has a proven record of defying the odds. He steadied the ship at Derby, when many predicted they would go down due to financial problems. He also took Burton up to the Championship, and managed to keep them up for 2 seasons. A person capable of keeping them in the Championship for that long, is more than capable of keeping Mansfield in L1. John Radford will give him a very respectable budget i'm sure of that.

Well done to the Stags, they deserve it. They really should have gone up before this season, but it looks like Flint had been the game-changer for them this time around. They’ve also had time to keep building the squad at this level and probably now have 20 players who can do a job for them. We’ve probably got five.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle95 View Post
    A lot of people assuming Mansfield will come straight back down. I couldn't disagree more. Clough is an outstanding manager. He has a proven record of defying the odds. He steadied the ship at Derby, when many predicted they would go down due to financial problems. He also took Burton up to the Championship, and managed to keep them up for 2 seasons. A person capable of keeping them in the Championship for that long, is more than capable of keeping Mansfield in L1. John Radford will give him a very respectable budget i'm sure of that.
    Hasslebank took Burton up. If memory serves, this is his first EFL promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Hasslebank took Burton up. If memory serves, this is his first EFL promotion.
    If my memory serves me correctly then Clough took over from JFH and was in charge when they actually won the promotion to the Championship. It was his second stint at Burton. JFH had been in charge the season before (when they went from L2 to L1,) and left mid-season to take over at QPR.

Anyway, he's clearly a good manager at this level hence his award. And I'm confident Stags will be as good in L1 next season as we have in L2 this. Probably a bit less erratic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle95 View Post
    I think it’s said more out of hope than judgement.
    I think they’ll hold their own next season. They’ve won promotion this season whilst having an horrendous injury list at times. They’ve also scored a huge amount of goals without a decent No.9. If they can add that to the squad, they could do very well.

Mansfield will be fine next season through a combination of a competitive squad and a decent manager.
    To be successful you need both a good squad and a good leader. Mansfield, Stockport and Wrexham have both and in spades.
    I feel all three managers at those clubs may have done better with our squad in terms of positioning in the league but a genuinely don’t think we’d have been promotion contenders. The one characteristic all 3 of those managers have in common is they are all hard nosed. There is no way they would have gone through January without insisting on strengthening the defence.
    Notts lack of squad depth has been massively exposed and the points tally over the last 20/25 games supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    Goodbye, until we meet again.
    Congrats! I think you'll do fine next season - decent manager, solid squad, and an owner with fairly deep pockets.

Imagine how outraged Stags fans would be if one of us went on their board to gloat after a promotion, yet here we are congratulating this one. I guess we aren't the same.

If I was a stag fan my only concern would be the ground and it’s capacity, not enough by a long way to sustain the club at that level both in finances and attracting players. Needs a new ground immediately to move forward but I honestly wish them all the best and I thought they were the best team by far this year.

Well deserved enjoy it, good manager and good squad you'll be fine next season.

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    Goodbye, until we meet again.
    Your desire to correspond with us suggests some sort of intimacy. Please be assured that i do not care for you or your team anymore than if you were s**t on my shoe.
    Au revoir

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast