+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: New manager required

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    He will make a populist statement in the first press conference,he always does.this time i think he will target the players who aren’t not wanting to play and its low hanging fruit for him.wether you like it or not he is not adverse to naming and shaming players in his post match interviews so this won’t bother him.

I am prepared to see how it develops.it needed a shake up but one of my first worries is I don’t think he actually spent transfer fees wisely,he may have enticed free players on big wages.but as far as paying a fee unless I am misremembering I can’t think of a big trnasfer that worked.there might be odd one but most wasn’t successful.
    He rarely spent anything on fees, and contrary to how some remember it, he didn't go mad with loans until the back end of his tenure. He inherited some really good players (for L2), and brought in some quality early on, but mostly frees. I don't mind how he (or anyone) does it, I just want to see players who are young enough to be here for at least a run at L1, and to still be around if we get up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    His first press conference at any new club is always the exact same script with just the names changed. This one will probably be different though as it's the first time any club has ever had him back, Not counting Boston after his 20 month ban of course.
    Yes I noticed that,he once said about us when he was manager at Crawley.rotherham are a great club and a brilliant chairmen…and I thought that was abit complementary….till I heard a few more interviews and he said it about every club..!.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    He rarely spent anything on fees, and contrary to how some remember it, he didn't go mad with loans until the back end of his tenure. He inherited some really good players (for L2), and brought in some quality early on, but mostly frees. I don't mind how he (or anyone) does it, I just want to see players who are young enough to be here for at least a run at L1, and to still be around if we get up again.
    No maybe he didn’t but the ones he did wasn’t up to it thats my personal point.

Worrall £100k
    Tidser £100k
    Bowery £200/250k
    Jch £400k

There maybe more but none was successes was they..

On loans back then he did have a few loans at the time the rules in lower leagues also allowed short term loans and he did bring quite a few in on loan.so they are and were right about loans.

I do agree with you that it doesn’t matter how or the way he does it..I just think the cut and shunt policy is not going to possible this time.so we will see how he gets and I am patiently prepared to see.as I said it’s the shake up we need.!..

No maybe he didn’t but the ones he did wasn’t up to it thats my personal point.

Worrall £100k
    Tidser £100k
    Bowery £200/250k
    Jch £400k

There maybe more but none was successes was they..

On loans back then he did have a few loans at the time the rules in lower leagues also allowed short term loans and he did bring quite a few in on loan.so they are and were right about loans.

I do agree with you that it doesn’t matter how or the way he does it..I just think the cut and shunt policy is not going to possible this time.so we will see how he gets and I am patiently prepared to see.as I said it’s the shake up we need.!..
    He did bring in Árnason, Frecklington and Agard the season before, all of who were huge for L2, hence the ability to go again after promotion. He only had 8 loans combined in his first two years, and some of those were for a month - the third season is where it became a joke.

I don't have faith in our scouting, and even less in our ability to talk on-the-fence players into joining, so it's always going to be part luck, part judgment with anyone coming in - If he unearths another Árnason and becomes the persuasive influence we lack to get some younger talent in, happy days. I'm not a huge fan of his, and I don't think any of this move smells right, but I'll back whoever gets the job until they show they're beyond hope and damaging the club.

Agree with this 👏👏👏

Evans will do what Evans does,which overall he's been pretty successful at.
    When he came the first time it's the closest I've ever been to not going, but i thought I'd hear him out,and if possible try and speak to him.
    We did a fans forum not long after he joined which I went to,so was determined to talk to him.
    I collared him in bar and had 2 or 3 minutes with him,just me and him.
    What he said convinced me to give him a chance, and I went away and renewed my season ticket, and the rest is history as they say.
    There's still things I don't like about him,but he's one of few managers who get the club.
    Good luck Stevo.

He did bring in Árnason, Frecklington and Agard the season before, all of who were huge for L2, hence the ability to go again after promotion. He only had 8 loans combined in his first two years, and some of those were for a month - the third season is where it became a joke.

I don't have faith in our scouting, and even less in our ability to talk on-the-fence players into joining, so it's always going to be part luck, part judgment with anyone coming in - If he unearths another Árnason and becomes the persuasive influence we lack to get some younger talent in, happy days. I'm not a huge fan of his, and I don't think any of this move smells right, but I'll back whoever gets the job until they show they're beyond hope and damaging the club.
    Exactly.
    One thing I would add is that it can't have been easy to convince players to join Stevenage either and he did pretty well there and presumably with a smaller budget than he'll get from TS.
    Despite my reservations about going back I think this is the best appointment TS could have made given the mess he's allowed to develop in the last couple of years.
    No long term strategy but hopefully a short term boost.

Well one loan he made going forward what will be of interest going forward is Tom eaves..!..

In balance I suppose All managers even Warne has made some poor signings that cost money and wasted a lot .maybe the club as a whole doesn’t spend its money wisely despite many people saying they want and get value for money.

I just think the crux of my point is that he probably needs to get more signings right than perhaps we have done in recent times at a crucial time.one thing I can vaguely remember as far as I can recall he used to get his main business done early.so that may please most people.and something we may not have done in recent seasons.!.

Well one loan he made going forward what will be of interest going forward is Tom eaves..!..

In balance I suppose All managers even Warne has made some poor signings that cost money and wasted a lot .maybe the club as a whole doesn’t spend its money wisely despite many people saying they want and get value for money.

I just think the crux of my point is that he probably needs to get more signings right than perhaps we have done in recent times at a crucial time.one thing I can vaguely remember as far as I can recall he used to get his main business done early.so that may please most people.and something we may not have done in recent seasons.!.
    Yes, Tom Eaves and he soon shipped him out but in fairness to Eaves back then, Evo had him playing wide right if I recall but that wasn't his natural playing position. Let's hope he ships him out again as 4 goals in two seasons is simply not good enough.

Whoever comes in must improve massively. A big part of the problem now is the squad which has legacy signings from different managers and their respective approaches. Evans needs to stamp a very clear footballing philosophy on the club and buy according to that - and that likely requires taking a hit with some releases. Personally I'd rather see money being spent to rid ourselves of any hangers-on than to bring in 'big' signings. I just hope the board are putting him there to do these things rather than to get the best out of what's there, plus a few new faces... if that's the plan we'll be back to this state again before too long.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he works with Eaves...

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast