+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Hards Night, The Beatles

A Hards Night, The Beatles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItA...TsPuQg&index=1
    60 years comming up in July .
    I got the Album from the Record shop in Paradise st ,next to Kings picture house .

Their third album but the first to have all tracks written by the band themselves and the one that first really showcased their song writing abilities. It also introduced the distinctive jangle sound of Harrison's new 12 string Rickenbacker guitar along with "that" opening chord on the title track.

The film also still stands up as one of the best ever pop star/ group movies -better than the more muddled, if colourful, Help! and certainly far better than the movie vehicles that the Colonel shoe-horned Elvis into or Summer Holiday from around the same period.

I know some don't like the Beatles and as a fan of most of their output I may be biased, but whilst I certainly wouldn't argue that everything they did was great, I genuinely find it hard to see how anyone cannot at least appreciate some of their work or can deny their influence on popular music. There have been many great bands since but IMHO none have matched The Beatles (with the help of George Martin of course) for the sheer breadth and inventiveness they managed over such a comparatively short period.

As a young child in the Sixties, I was only 3 when this album was released but I clearly remember their music as I grew up. 60 years ago though Soulman-we all seem to be getting old!😞

To my mind, the Beatles started a social and cultural revolution. It wasn’t just their music but their appearance, attitude, humour; basically they altered youngsters’ way of life, anything was possible. As far as music was concerned the charts were dominated by the likes of Americans such as Bobby Vee, Ricky Nelson, Neil Sedaka, Del Shannon, Elvis etc. We had the odd success with the likes of Cliff Richard and Billy Fury. The Beatles came along and altered the whole music scene.

I was fortunate to be a ****ager in those years but, unlike many, I preferred their early stuff as opposed to their music from Sgt. Pepper onwards. Also, to my mind, I thought that many of their LP tracks were better than the singles that they issued. I suppose it’s just a matter of taste.

I honestly don’t believe that their will ever be another act that will influence a generation like those four did.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    To my mind, the Beatles started a social and cultural revolution. It wasn’t just their music but their appearance, attitude, humour; basically they altered youngsters’ way of life, anything was possible. As far as music was concerned the charts were dominated by the likes of Americans such as Bobby Vee, Ricky Nelson, Neil Sedaka, Del Shannon, Elvis etc. We had the odd success with the likes of Cliff Richard and Billy Fury. The Beatles came along and altered the whole music scene.

I was fortunate to be a ****ager in those years but, unlike many, I preferred their early stuff as opposed to their music from Sgt. Pepper onwards. Also, to my mind, I thought that many of their LP tracks were better than the singles that they issued. I suppose it’s just a matter of taste.

I honestly don’t believe that their will ever be another act that will influence a generation like those four did.
    Excuse spelling, should read ‘that there will ever’ and not ‘their’.

I can still remember clearly the Saturday morning my mother had the radio on and Please Please Me came on. I shouted that is the record by that group The Beatles and we stood by the mantlepiece and listened to it. That was the day I started to take an interest in music. I was 10 years old and although I did not remain a big Beatles fan I thank the Lord they came along and changed the face of music for ever. I appreciate them more now as I am older but my music taste went a different way when I heard Bob Dylan's Positively 4th Street in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    I can still remember clearly the Saturday morning my mother had the radio on and Please Please Me came on. I shouted that is the record by that group The Beatles and we stood by the mantlepiece and listened to it. That was the day I started to take an interest in music. I was 10 years old and although I did not remain a big Beatles fan I thank the Lord they came along and changed the face of music for ever. I appreciate them more now as I am older but my music taste went a different way when I heard Bob Dylan's Positively 4th Street in 1965.
    We seem to be on the same wavelength as I always remember the first time that I heard ‘Please, Please Me’. I was listening to the radio and doing my homework and it hit me like a bolt out of the blue. It was so different to all the pop tunes of the time. Bob Dylan’s ‘Positively 4th Street was also one of my all time favourites. Not everybody’s cup of tea I know.

Not my cup of tea and thought the Hollies and Alan Clarke were better

Like you, I was a big fan of their early stuff but lost interest when Sgt Pepper and the psychedelic influence took over. There is no doubt, though, that their influence on the music scene was groundbreaking, it even shook up the American music industry. After they broke up, none of them did much of note, in my opinion; Lennon was ruined by the frightful Yoko and McCartney’s Wings were awful. The best thing George did post Beatles was probably the Travelling Wilburys. I do play some Beatles songs, though, with the two groups that I am a member of.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Not my cup of tea and thought the Hollies and Alan Clarke were better
    I thought that the Hollies were great as well. Harmonisation was second to none.

I thought that the Hollies were great as well. Harmonisation was second to none.
    Three part with Clarke, Nash and Hicks.

Clarke and Hicks admitted it was more difficult after Graham Nash left to create their original type of harmonies.

That said, He Ain’t Heavy and The Air That I Breath are two absolute British pop classics.

The guitar on the latter is really an exceptional and iconic intro and sound even 50 years later.

Just found this live version,

https://youtu.be/ojhIYTc-OO0?si=8Ojb_cvnVNH-HvgD

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)