Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
I think that message from the owners was rather worrying. They've always been so measured with their communications, but this showed a real inability to read the room. I think it was their way of saying "we're giving Maynard more time, and he'll be the coach next season" but it showed them to be a bit blinkered to say the least.

Possession alone is a completely worthless statistic. It's what you do with the ball that counts. And as we've seen countless times this season, most of our possession is in our own half and tends to be more damaging to us than the opposition.
I agree with the second part but I don't think they are proposing never ending possession to make the stats look good. They are results oriented at the end of the day and want to win.

Re: the first part, I got the impression their model (apparently they have a proprietary xG model they use) genuinely shows that performances didn't get worse from late LW to early SM, despite the results. To be honest, that is kind of what I was saying during that time. Players made more individual errors, Macca stopped scoring chances he was putting away before, but the performances were pretty similar.