+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fans' Forum [01.05.24]

Quote Originally Posted by OldBanksy View Post
    His whole contribution was poor, uninspiring and, at times, pathetic.
    He was good in True Grit though

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    That's a shame, Whigfield's Saturday Night was a banger
    We could do a lot worse!

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    There was literally seconds remaining of the game... We were losing. So what's the point in trying to work the corner when the ref is about to blow the whistle.. His excuse was pathetic and not acceptable..
    I agree but it’s not about getting possession stats up is it. Maybe the players misread the situation with the time of the game, tbf though it’s not that often we have a corner and end up back at the halfway line and I’m pretty sure with who was playing no one was gonna win a towering header and equalise too.

Anyway I thought you said you thought he might turn out to be good? Have you changed yer mind?😂

Regarding the whole lack of charisma thing - I agree, but that's only ever a problem when results aren't going your way. Then, people use the head coach's personality as a stick to beat him with. In reality, it isn't necessary for success. Clough and Parkinson are pretty dour and humourless, and it hasn't hindered their success.

What is important though is the ability to command respect as a leader, and I'm not sure Maynard has the experience, confidence, or personality to do that. He seems like a nice guy, but he's not the person I'd want rallying the troops before a local derby.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 02-05-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I agree but it’s not about getting possession stats up is it. Maybe the players misread the situation with the time of the game, tbf though it’s not that often we have a corner and end up back at the halfway line and I’m pretty sure with who was playing no one was gonna win a towering header and equalise too.
    A short corner and a hard low kick into the box can end up anywhere better than our goalkeeper.

Anyway I thought you said you thought he might turn out to be good? Have you changed yer mind?��
    There was a big enough score board.

Maybe the players misread the situation with the time of the game
    You are putting that up as a serious scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    You are putting that up as a serious scenario?
    I wasn’t there, so don’t know the exact situation, perhaps an actual player should have used their nous and actually swung it in then if there was literally 10 seconds left or something. I doubt SM would have complained if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Regarding the whole lack of charisma thing - I agree, but that's only ever a problem when results aren't going your way. Then, people use the head coach's personality as a stick to beat him with. In reality, it isn't necessary for success. Clough and Parkinson are pretty dour and humourless, and it hasn't hindered their success.

What is important though is the ability to command respect as a leader, and I'm not sure Maynard has the experience, confidence, or personality to do that. He seems like a nice guy, but he's not the person I'd want rallying the troops before a local derby.
    Let’s hope SM is more inspirational with the players than he is with the fans. Really hoping he relaxes into the role and gets to (literally) express himself, because at the moment he feels very guarded and not himself. Of course, it may be that his assistant is the chatty one and SM is the brains behind the operation - but I’m not sure I’ve heard him speak to the media yet.

Agree with others that Joe Palmer is a very assured speaker and knows what he’s talking about. The big question now is who pocketed all of the Notts County paraphernalia over the years?

It's not about charisma, he's just not a very good coach.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast