+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fans' Forum [01.05.24]

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    That's a big statement. Just wondered what it's based on? Have you attended any of SM's coaching sessions?
    No, but I have seen the evidence on how the same players performed under two coaches. One was a serious promotion candidate, the Maynard coached team flirted with relegation. If Maynard didn't make the difference, is there any point having a coach at all?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I have absolutely no doubt he’s a good coach and knows his football inside out and I believe Burchnall was a good coach too but you do need leadership qualities which I never thought Burchnall had.
    I can’t say I’m 100% confident in SM, clearly a decent guy with intelligence. I know when at Wealdstone his assistant talked about how SM rang the players Friday night who hadn’t got in the team/squad and said why they hadn’t and what they needed to do and whilst they didn’t always like it they respected him taking the time and being honest, so maybe he is commanding respect from the players if he is doing the right things behind the scenes, who knows.
    Well your judgement is flawd - it was you who said you never watch another game with Nolan in charge, yet 6 years later 5th in L2 has not been beaten,( it would been top 3 if Yates had not gone in Jan ) no less under Hardy who many say was one of the worst owners
    Burchnall was crap tbh- 5th place in natioanl league- it was 5th tier - think people are now beginning to realise how poor that level is .i am almost certain we would still be there if that clown had remained , now you think SM is good haha , what respect has he had from players, they fell apart after Lw left , you could see half the time players were not bothered and played no where near there best

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    ..what respect has he had from players, they fell apart after Lw left , you could see half the time players were not bothered and played no where near there best
    Well if you don't believe what said players have stated about SM as a person and his ability as a coach and if you can't (won't) remember that LW's team was already on a comparative bad run before he left and that the players didn't fall apart just because SM came in (they were already falling apart as LW suggested on several interviews) then there is not much chance of you forming a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    No, but I have seen the evidence on how the same players performed under two coaches. One was a serious promotion candidate, the Maynard coached team flirted with relegation. If Maynard didn't make the difference, is there any point having a coach at all?
    No blame on the professional footballers then? As far as I can remember SM didn't change anything radically, he just asked (and tried to get) players to work harder and defend better. Not much to ask any professional. And we weren't seriouspromotion candidates at all (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    No blame on the professional footballers then? As far as I can remember SM didn't change anything radically, he just asked (and tried to get) players to work harder and defend better. Not much to ask any professional. And we weren't seriouspromotion candidates at all (IMO).
    He was also lumbered with the same defenders that weren’t good enough so switching them around made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    He was also lumbered with the same defenders that weren’t good enough so switching them around made no difference.
    Exactly. We (all of us on here) considered all three keepers as not very good and I would say four of the available defensive players were also considered not up to the required level. How people can lay the blame at SM's feet is not fair at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well your judgement is flawd - it was you who said you never watch another game with Nolan in charge, yet 6 years later 5th in L2 has not been beaten,( it would been top 3 if Yates had not gone in Jan ) no less under Hardy who many say was one of the worst owners
    Burchnall was crap tbh- 5th place in natioanl league- it was 5th tier - think people are now beginning to realise how poor that level is .i am almost certain we would still be there if that clown had remained , now you think SM is good haha , what respect has he had from players, they fell apart after Lw left , you could see half the time players were not bothered and played no where near there best
    Davy without going into detail, which I could, we ultimately went into non league from them twos involvement and nearly stopped existing, brilliant, but we got 6th in L2 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Permission to speak , Sir

The downward trend started under LW. You stupid boy.
    He was on record in October 2023 saying they were working hard to eradicate the comedy show defending. By the time SM arrived, the defense were playing repeats of the original comedy show. It's not helpful to saying "we're doomed, I tell you, doomed"
    SM simply didn't have the replacement players of sufficient caliber to change the central actors.

Don't tell them your name Woodypie.

Don't panic.

Langstaff has publicly stated he wants to play in league 1 with Notts and it would take something spectacular to leave.
    If you want any guidance on what the players think of SM, there you have it!
    As others have stated, the decline had set in weeks before SM took over. The main reason being Matty Palmer. He is such a crucial player for us. Then Bostock got injured and hasn’t been the same since.
    It seems a few are rewriting the history books with Bostock, suggesting that he’s been awful this season. He was brilliant for us until the injury against stags.

I think it’s telling of how ruthless SM is. Not just the players that have been released but also those made available for transfer.
    I don’t like his interviews and his views on levels of performance.
    I’m not sure he is the man for us, however, I am intrigued with what he and the club can come up with in the recruitment department. I think he also warrants a pre season to implement his style and stamp his name on the side. I look forward to the defensive rebuild and whether he can get Matty P fit and back to his best.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast