+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youth and Scouting - not using our advantage

I don't need to re-read the thread thanks , I was suggesting an option to offer assistance if he thought it would help.
    I've pointed out above the reason for any previous deficiencies but that doesn't mean people are not working to improve things.
    Despite ignorant people who know nothing about how it runs making stupid comments about black holes , maybe you expect Champagne on beer money.

If ever SD's "fine margins" narrative rings true it's youth development.

I've seen and indeed played against a few supposedly elite young professionals and was not all that impressed.

I once played against Paul Mariner when he was at Chorley, OMG I got skinned alive.

A year or two later he was in the England team. Yet the Chorley lads did not rate him that highly.

A lad can have all the talent in the world but I suppose it all comes down to one thing:

Name:  bad (2).jpg
Views: 60
Size:  14.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Andingle01 View Post
    I don't need to re-read the thread thanks , I was suggesting an option to offer assistance if he thought it would help.
    I've pointed out above the reason for any previous deficiencies but that doesn't mean people are not working to improve things.
    Despite ignorant people who know nothing about how it runs making stupid comments about black holes , maybe you expect Champagne on beer money.
    Lancaster took your first response as sarcasm, as did I, using sarcasm to regular posters making a perfectly valid point and then claiming another poster is stupid and ignorant will not get you very far on this msgboard my friend. In the meantime I notice you have ignored the question Lancaster asked you in Post 3, would you like to answer that now ?

I think we are better going the route VK is taking which requires good scouts throughout the world.I am available in central Europe if the club needs me.....

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I think we are better going the route VK is taking which requires good scouts throughout the world.I am available in central Europe if the club needs me.....
    When I lived in Greece I used to spy online on Panathinaikos for Clive Holt to keep an eye on Dimitri Papadopoulos's appearances as he was transferred on an appearance fee basis. All good fun.

You do understand that just you both see it as sarcastic , doesn't make it sarcastic.
    And you think my intention is get far on a messaeboard 😂😂.
    You post like a self appointed Masonic Lodge Grand Master. 🤔
    As I've already stated , it's hard for a club like Burnley to pick up top players , in a very competitive area against better established clubs with more finance spent and superior facilities and that won't change.
    Most players from all Academies will not make the grade as a pro footballer.
    McNeill coming through at 0 cost and being sold for 20M would justify its existence, Bobby Thomas and Jimmy Dunne brought in another 2M.

Players such as Tyhrs Dolan , Luke Cundle(Wolves) , Dan Gore (Man.Utd) & Tyler Onyango(Everton) are just some of the players bought from Burnleys Academy at ages U10 - U14s by other Cat 1 Clubs.
    Chris Casper and Lewis Richardson & Joe Baurass (both unfortunate with injuries) have been in the first team sqaud.
    Loads of players you won't likely of heard of like , Shola Shortire , Charlie McNeil, Zidane Iqbal , Callum Doyle and Mason Greenwood all were at Burnley but chose to sign for Man.Utd.
    I've been involved 25 years in Youth Development now including Burnley in the past and its a tough task at club like ours to attract and win over the top players with the options available in this area and I don't envy those trying to do it for BFC.

An enviable task indeed it is Andingle01. It's nice to read an alternative perspective to the "Black Hole Theory".

I think in England we have just over 4000 professional footballers spread over 92 EFL/EPL clubs and of course an awful lot of them are NOT English.

Our first team squad looks like a United Nations delegation and chances for home grown talent are getting more difficult by the day.

All we can do is try and compete with the other clubs who are all trying their damndest to discover the next Messi.

Indeed BT , all the club can do is try to compete in a very competitive market , dominated by the big clubs.
    The Football world in this country is centred around the big clubs , from top to bottom.
    In a way , I see a point in BFC not having an Academy and taking the released players from Cat 1 Academies at 16 to try to develop but then you risk missing out on the likes of McNeil released from Man.Utd at 13.
    Long gone are the days when Burnley dominated in YD in the 60s , 70s as Academy football didn't really exist , clubs brought players in at 16 on an apprenticeship and we had people like Jack Hixon who ran a team of scouts in the North East picking up lots of players l believe like , Pointer , Robson , Nulty Coates ect. Jack was binned off in the 80s for financial reasons , he then joined Southampton as a talent scout and the next player he picked up from the North East , Alan Shearer ☹
    What might have been.

"You post like a self appointed Masonic Lodge Grand Master."

Close but not quite, BT is the Masonic Lodge Grand Master, I'm merely his self appointed personal assistant, with particular reference to identifying smart arses who think they have the right to tell other posters what to do and how they should think.

"As I've already stated , it's hard for a club like Burnley to pick up top players"

Just one example, last Saturday there was a Premier league game between Luton and Brentford, three of the Brentford starting eleven were Ethan Pinnock, Nathan Collins and Keane Lewis-Potter, products of the Millwall, Stoke and Hull academies respectively, three of the Luton starting eleven were Alfie Doughty, Carlton Morris and Jordan Clark, Luke Berry came on for the 2nd half, products of the Charlton, Norwich, Barnsley and Cambridge academies. Seven players from lower league academies that have no particular advantage over ours, and they are not alone, there are plenty more, but you will search the Premier League in vain for our academy products, the dubious example of McNeil apart. The rest, over a period of 17 years since Jay made his debut, having been sucked inexorably into the Gawthorpe Black Hole.

"maybe you expect Champagne on beer money."

You are aware, I presume, that we've recently spent NINE seasons in the Premier league with annual turnovers up to £140 million ? Do you seriously think Mr Pace and his ALK colleagues would have acquired the club if it was capable of generating no more than 'beer money' ? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Andingle01 View Post
    In a way , I see a point in BFC not having an Academy and taking the released players from Cat 1 Academies at 16 to try to develop but then you risk missing out on the likes of McNeil released from Man.Utd at 13.
    We don't have a choice, as a PL club we have to have an academy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)