+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Free Bus pass

O/T Free Bus pass

I get the point that anyone over State Pension age can get a free bus pass if they live in England.

What I don't agree with is, you can have a free pass if you're over 60 and live in either Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, wait for it, Merseyside or London! What's that all about?

Furthermore, if you're over 60 and live in London, you get to ride the underground for free.....why?

Talk about a North/South divide.

Some people might say
    Their life is in a rut
    So they go underground because the roads are JAMmed.

Ticket Concessions at 60 at NYS.
    Not at a lot of other clubs.
    Swings and roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Ticket Concessions at 60 at NYS.
    Not at a lot of other clubs.
    Swings and roundabouts.
    Crash, I've travelled far and wide this season on away games and I've not come across anymore concessions for 60 year olds, just us so yes as you say it's give and take.

Back to my point though, it's all free for the Landernars both train and underground.

Fare dodging on the London Underground costs TFL £150 million per year

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I get the point that anyone over State Pension age can get a free bus pass if they live in England.

What I don't agree with is, you can have a free pass if you're over 60 and live in either Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, wait for it, Merseyside or London! What's that all about?

Furthermore, if you're over 60 and live in London, you get to ride the underground for free.....why?

Talk about a North/South divide.
    In Liverpool it's the service provider MerseyTravel who provide the free pass for the above 60 year olds Brin , they've done it for the last 22 years .

The same in London too with Travel For London providing the service .

I'd assume the respective councils and Mayors have also played a part in securing this concession .

Personally I think it's fantastic for both city's to roll out this concession .

The only divide I see is why aren't our own providers on board with this concession ?

Clearly it can be done .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    In Liverpool it's the service provider MerseyTravel who provide the free pass for the above 60 year olds Brin , they've done it for the last 22 years .

I'd assume the respective councils and Mayors have also played a part in securing this concession .

The only divide I see is why aren't our own providers on board with this concession ?

Clearly it can be done .
    Well pal, hopefully now that Supertram is now run by South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority , the bus services will hopefully also be soon brought under the same SYMCA umbrella. Maybe then we may see a 60's and over free pass on both.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

Clearly it can be done .
    Maybe it can be done. Considering what it costs to get on the housing ladder these days, I’d rather free travel was offered to young people who go out to work.

Senior rail cards can be bought by anyone who reaches 60 years old
    Whilst it costs money it can be recouped on virtually the first trip if it’s to say London
    Perfect for a promotion season on the road with the Miilers
    A three year pass is even more of a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Senior rail cards can be bought by anyone who reaches 60 years old
    Whilst it costs money it can be recouped on virtually the first trip if it’s to say London
    Perfect for a promotion season on the road with the Miilers
    A three year pass is even more of a bargain
    flour, I already have one pal. It's the point on a bus pass that seems so unfair on English folk as opposed to the rest in the UK, especially the favoured London folk!

NB. I wouldn't dare use it next season for away games because of all the never ending strikes and so ad hoc throughout a year, farcical this Government simply seems uninterested to resolve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast