+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim O’Brien

Jim O’Brien

If today was the last time we saw JOB grace Meadow Lane then it certainly has been a pleasure to have him play for us.

Lovely to see him smash into a few 50/50’s, showed some delightful touches and drifted around the midfield to good effect. It’s so obvious he’s such a clever footballer; I bet he wishes he was in his prime in this age of football. He was thoroughly deserving of his standing ovation with five to go.

Every time I hear him speak, you can hear what Notts has come to mean to him. He’s a real Magpie… ‘Jimmy in the middle’

It seems he is already making his way in the coaching world and hopefully he can continue to do that with us.

He's been a great servant to the club and I'm sorry to see him go. I would like to see him get a coaching role with the youth set up as I think he has a lot to offer.
    He's had a good season, not had many poor performances and been well worth his place when he's started.

Jim O'Brien is my type of player. He guarantees 100% commitment as a minimum every time he steps on the pitch. He's never been a 'safe' sort of player, he'll take a risk which might not always come off but his instinct is to go forward. If this was his final performance in a Notts shirt (I hope it isn't) then he went out on a high. It was typical JOB, even though his legs are supposedly gone he was flying into tackles like a 20 year old. I hope we can find a role for him at the club, if he can pass on just 50% of his attitude he will be a genuine asset.

Couldn’t agree more. Should have been club captain.

If JOB thinks his legs will. Last another season (he will be honest about it). Notts should offer him a player/coach position he will be an excellent experienced squad player with lot to offer. As a coach he has vast experience of the .modern game and L W said in time he will become a better coach than him. It would be a sad time if he leaves (a Notts man through and through.

i wouldn't mind if the club invested time and money on him grooming him to be a future head coach for us. Keep him on as a coach and understudy to the manger / managers at the club until they feel the time is correct in him making the transition from coach to head coach etc. Could be a valuable asset and stop any worries if our managers are poached again in the future !

I suppose it depends on what he wants for himself and his family I agree with all the comments about him staying at the club in some capacity would be great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Should have been club captain.
    He will be remembered for years as one of our treasures, thank you Jim, its a 21 gun salute from me.

If you had asked me in October I would've said thanks Jim and good luck. Now I feel like he's still got something to offer both on the pitch and in terms of setting the right example off it. I would offer him a year's extention with a view to keeping him as a coach, and long term maybe more, who knows.

Agree with the post saying it was fitting to see him fly into some 50/50s. Also to see him popping up in the six yard box trying to get on the end of crosses and playing vertical passes. We don't have many other midfielders who do any of those three things, although Robertson perhaps can do two of them.

A great professional who really feels the game and feels the club. I salute you, Jim!

What a battler he’s been for us.
    A bit like Mike Edwards he continues to earn his place.
    I’d love him to stay at the club in a coaching capacity but, for the same reason I think Scott will be released, I don’t think we’ll keep him on as a player.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast