+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Northampton Town

Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Northampton Town

I think we may as well spend the week discussing the last game of the season seen as the whole of the season is riding on it .

The other 45 games are gone and it's simply down to this , nothing else can be done .

The positive is that it's in our own hands , what those chasing us are doing is irrelevant just as long as we are winning the game .

The last time the whole season went down to the last game on that famous night at Griffin Park we needed to not only beat Brentford whilst also denying them a place in the PL we needed every other result to land in our favour .

The problem with looking at it from that point of view is that it actually happened .

Whilst we are drawing 0-0 with the others winning the pressure mounts up , anyone who claims the players and coaching staff don't know what's going on elsewhere on such days is telling porkies , the reaction of the crowd during the game filters through to the players and staff for starters , how could they possibly not pick up on it ? .

This is a game played under monumental pressure unless we grab three first half goals with the first two hitting the back of the net in the first twenty minutes .

The longer it goes at 0-0 or worse with the others winning the more the pressure .

It might be in our own hands at 12.30 PM next Saturday but by 12.45 PM it might be a different thing altogether .

As you say animal, it’s in your own hands and your players just have to make sure they do their jobs. None of your competitors exactly have easy games, especially Lincoln hosting Pompey but will they be bothered now having nothing but holidays on their minds? Blackpool head to Reading, another with nothing to play for but they’d be the last ones we’d want to be facing so I hope Readings players are playing for contracts and stuff them. Oxford possibly have the toughest trip away at Exeter who are finishing strongly so effectively you arguably have the easiest of the lot. All in contention will suffer nerves and nothing can be taken for granted as you say so here’s hoping you get that early goal to steady those nerves and get the win you need and hopefully give us Wanderers a chance to make up for our disappointment last year? ��

I remember the old 4th division days during Jim Iley’s last season when Northampton visited Oakwell and won 3-2 which virtually ended any chance of promotion! Of course Clarkie took over and got us promoted the next season!
    Different era but hopefully Devaney can get a better tune out of them than Collins could? Hope we finish 6th so we can repeat last seasons beating of Bolton.

Cannot see past a draw & that would put pay to that , season tickets sorted & all summer to contemplate what next season might bring with yet again another new manager & a big turn over in players , regarding the game its a pity Mr Styles is not available because a repeat of the superb goal he got at there ground would not go a miss but I see a nervous match and now no leadership from the dug out !! we shall see, hope I am wrong and we romp into the play offs .

Well this is the most weird end of the season build up of all time.
    Roll on 5pm post match on Saturday to hear what that lot upstairs on Grove Street have to say.
    I just haven’t a clue how this one will pan out so my stake is on Black 15.

Hey Mr B.Whites lol, how did you end up in a foreign country like Burnsley taarn ?.
    (and we might have discussed this before ehh mate lol).

I believe the directors have looked at this and thought.
    Collins isn’t playing to how we want.
    The supporters arnt happy in the ground and on social media.
    Season ticket sales are well down - not because we are in a bad position in the league - but because we have been playing horrible tippy tappy possession football.
    Collins is likely to lose against Northampton.
    And if he happens to get a result against them we are very unlikely to win the playoffs.

Things were looking so bad the directors had nothing to lose in sacking Neill Collins.

I’ve been saying all season that Collins wouldn’t be here for next season.
    The writing was on the wall early doors when it was clear Collins had changed the playing philosophy at the club.
    That became clear by September 2023 and he should have been sacked then.
    Obviously the directors have given him a chance - but they will have to pay for that now in failing to get promoted.

So then - the monkey is off our backs now - and more so the backs of the players.
    IMO - we are in for a stirring performance against Northampton that could turn into an easy win.
    3-0

And although I’ll stick to my prediction that we won’t get promoted - basically for the reason that we have played so much tactically inept football - that it’s going to be a while before all that leaves the players system - it’s not going to be a quick fix and turnaround - but in saying that we will be much harder to beat now Collins has gone.

Thank goodness!!!

We are on a run of 1 clean sheet in 18. 33 goals conceded in those games. With Collins gone our defence will suddenly become world beaters. We will keep a clean sheet and defend like we've not done all season.

The tippy tappy football was the cause for our bad defending. Nothing to do with the board of course signing a load of shyte players.

After 46 games we finish where we deserve to. No complaints from me if we miss out. The way we have finished the season is pretty terrible to say the least.

Here's to next season and another load of embarrassing crap signings. A head coach who's record at schoolboy level is top of the spreadsheet.

This time next year the club will be league 1 mid table unless the owners start to get their act together and start to bring in better footballers and a better head coach. Aye, me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    We are on a run of 1 clean sheet in 18. 33 goals conceded in those games. With Collins gone our defence will suddenly become world beaters. We will keep a clean sheet and defend like we've not done all season.

The tippy tappy football was the cause for our bad defending. Nothing to do with the board of course signing a load of shyte players.

After 46 games we finish where we deserve to. No complaints from me if we miss out. The way we have finished the season is pretty terrible to say the least.

Here's to next season and another load of embarrassing crap signings. A head coach who's record at schoolboy level is top of the spreadsheet.

This time next year the club will be league 1 mid table unless the owners start to get their act together and start to bring in better footballers and a better head coach. Aye, me neither.
    I don't think Collins deserved the abuse he's had recently , apparently at Blackpool it was pretty bad .

Don't get me wrong he's made mistakes and as a HC you are judged on results .

However that's the thing isn't it , you can't sack him on results he's got a 46% win record and had us in the top 6 since September .

Style of play many are saying but again you don't sack someone with one game of the season left and still a chance of extending the season and promotion .

I can't ever remember this happening at any other club , not even Watford would pull a stunt like this .

In any case doesn't sacking the HC in these circumstances say much about the so called decision makers , they apparently went through a process to identify the right man , a thorough process we were told .

They got their man and didn't back him in two transfer windows , he was given nowt what so ever to work with , the evidence is clear because players brought in such as Dallas , Shepherd and Lopata were binned out on loan after 6 months , McCart was recruited on loan from Rotherham and then they had to bring in Earl and Pines in January because the recruitment just wasn't up to it .

Pines I'll not criticise because he's not played enough games but there isn't a decent central defender at the club what so ever , they just aren't good enough .

I don't care who the new HC is he ain't shoring that defence up with what he's going to have available to him .

The midfield doesn't look too good either , Russell is a luxury that any league one club cannot afford , Connell clearly has issues , I'll leave it at that and Kane will be leaving .

Up top Cole will leave , John Mac will go back to Luton and that leaves us with Cosgrove , Dallas , Shaw and Jalo .

Cadden and Williams will also leave and Roberts will return to Boro more than likely .

Even if the summer recruitment is 50% better than last year it still falls way short on the quality required and the league next season does look harder with what's coming down from the championship and coming up from League two .

But apparently if we play to the clubs philosophy none of the above will matter !!!

Got to laugh ant tha .

Right then - let’s get all this shi.te spouted about the recruitment settled once and for all.

Name ONE player from last season that went to Wembley that’s played as good this season as they did last season !?!?!
    Just one.
    Name one player from last season that has improved this season !?!?!

NONE.

They have all gone backwards.
    Everyone of them.
    So how the hell can we start to judge the new recruits that’s come in if all the recognised players are all going backwards FGS.

As for defenders - every new defender signed for Barnsley in recent years has had to endure a torrent of abuse.
    No one more than Mads had to.

We have sold a list of defenders over these last few years including Pinnock, Lindsay, Sibbick, Helik, Brittain etc etc etc.
    Every head coach that took over the team at that time moulded the new defenders together into a unit.

Collins didn’t.
    End of - full stop - period.

I wish posters would just try to consider recent history - at least try to remember what’s happened in recent years before posting such total ****.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast