+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Var

Var

It's hampered by a shit offside rule which penalises the attacking team and also by appalling sunjectivity but, for me, it's absolutely ruining games. Most particularly, the high point of any game-celebrating a goal.

I'd be perfectly happy to see it gone, tbh. Put the money saved into training refs and officials to be better and keep the automatic goal-line technology. If they change the offside rule to the last part of the attacker then the automatic offside VAR would be fine but get rid of the rest of it. They're re-refereeing games and it stinks of corruption.

Is there anyone here who's a fan of it?

f

Agree that the offside rule is total ****.
    VAR? I hate it. It takes away the immediacy. Wow, we've won. Oh, wait have we. Let's go down the pub and have a pint whilst they decide
    . Oh, wait again, this is a two pint problem, Watson. Bowlocks.
    All of these video things should be there for blatant errors. Fine to have a video referee saying "hey, I think you and the linesman missed something pretty big there". Not a problem. Or if the ref says "Really not sure about that, could you check it?". Except that the ref might be tempted to do that with every marginal decision, rather than let the game flow.
    But to have pretty much every situation second-guessed? No way. "Hey, I think that guy might have been an inch offside, let's ake a look again, and we'll zoom in with the technology"
    It destroys the flow of games, it destroys the immediacy. What is better than being at a game and shouting "YES", bouncing up and down in celebration. OK, there was always the chance that you hadn't noticed the linesman's flag go up. But that was also nearly immediate. This new system is horrible. Have we scored? Have we not? Who knows - for what seems an interminable time. It's rubbish.
    Last edited by OwdBillCook; 21-04-2024 at 10:38 PM.

Just a weird thought off the top of my head.
    Might it work better if it was implemented like cricket. Say, where the manager and the captain had, between them, possibly 3 appeals per game if they thought a really bad decision had been made. Then VAR would check it, and they would lose an appeal if it was wrong.
    Yep, I know that this would not mean VAR would only check for grossly wrong decisions, because teams would use it tactically.
    But something has to change - the present system is a complete crock of sh!t.

It’s worst when a player is deemed (or not) to have impeded the GK in an offside position. Hugely subjective.
    Give VAR 10 seconds to challenge the on field decision. If that’s not enough time then it isn’t an obvious mistake so let the game continue. There would be some ‘tight’ errors made (as there were before VAR) but the games would flow and the obvious errors removed. I’d be happy with that.

Auto-Off-side the same as the UCL & World Cup works well.

I'd be happy to keep that when it comes in next year because it removes the human 'interpretation' and means the VAR refs can't assist LiVARpool et al with nonsense decisions.

Goal line tech is perfect. It is or isn't over the line. Not up for discussion.

The rest is supposed to be 'clear and obvious'. When it's takes 3-5mins for a team of clowns at Stockley Park to mull over something it's blatantly obvious that it ain't clear and obvious, otherwise it would have been a clear and obvious decision - ergo - instantaneous.

So the more they can automate and take out of the hands of the PGMOL the better.

I like the 'challenge idea'. Each team would then have someone monitoring the game, raising an appeal against a decision the ref did or didn't make.

They just need to bring in the system that is used in Europe.. the one PGMOL voted against us using here..

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    They just need to bring in the system that is used in Europe.. the one PGMOL voted against us using here..
    The PGMOL is rotten to the core. The independent football regulator should focus most of it's efforts on this corrupt organisation in my opinion.

The financial disparity between the Fraud 6 and the rest is one thing but the dubious decisions that cost clubs points, places = money and in some cases their Premier League status which has the most dramatic effect on a clubs ability to be financially sustainable.

With the crazy amount of cash sloshing around football it just doesn't make any sense at all that the people who are responsible to ensure clear and fair competition are total incompetent to the point of appearing corrupt/biased.

The Brazilian league has just started and they’ve introduced that the ref explains to the crowd (loudspeaker) the decision after viewing the screen eg. ‘The handball was deemed to be accidental’.
    It’s a move in the right direction but much more is needed in the management of VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    The Brazilian league has just started and they’ve introduced that the ref explains to the crowd (loudspeaker) the decision after viewing the screen eg. ‘The handball was deemed to be accidental’.
    It’s a move in the right direction but much more is needed in the management of VAR.
    That's cool, very interesting. We need transparency & accountability from the officials. It's insulting to the fans that they act in this infallible, holier than thou manner.

They want to fans to cut the refs some slack and cut down on the hatred and hostility toward the officials then they need to start explaining themselves.

However, as mentioned above the VAR checks should be in the hands of the clubs/manager to review grievances rather in the hands of the egotists in Stockley Park to debate over. Especially when their track record is one of borderline corporate negligence.

VAR is ****e.

It's lack of transparency also makes everyone feel (as I do) that it is helping certain teams.

I like the challenge idea as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)