+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60th Anniversay.

60th Anniversay.

My first visit to Turf Moor was with my Dad on April 21 1964. We beat Spurs 7-2. Happy memory.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    My first visit to Turf Moor was with my Dad on April 21 1964. We beat Spurs 7-2. Happy memory.
    A Tuesday night match if I recall correctly and Brian O'Neil scored two belters.

Yes it was a Tuesday night game non ami, I was behind the goal at the Bee Hole End. For some reason I always think of Sammy Todd in relation to that game but I've no idea why, Did he score perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Yes it was a Tuesday night game non ami, I was behind the goal at the Bee Hole End. For some reason I always think of Sammy Todd in relation to that game but I've no idea why, Did he score perhaps ?
    I might have been stood right next to you sinkov. Me and my mate had the same Bee Hole End spot 3 rows back, dead centre of the goals for about ten seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    He didn’t score sinkov but 18 year old wing half Sammy made his league debut in an unaccustomed right back position in the fixture replacing the injured John Angus. Brian O’Neil, Gordon Harris and Willie Irvine each scored twice with Andy Lochhead netting the other goal. Cliff Jones and Jimmy Greaves replied for Tottenham. I have a copy of the match programme (cost 4d!) which shows the match was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday 14 March 1964. That Saturday was FA Cup Semi Final day and our league fixture was postponed but I am not sure why as neither Spurs or Burnley were involved in the semi-finals.

There have been some cracking games against Spurs over the years. I remember a second half comeback from 4-0 down at White Hart Lane
    to get a 4-4 draw, Andy Lochhead again heavily involved and 5-0 ? win at Turf Moor when Andy put Mike England in the back of the net in the first five minutes which finished him for the rest of the game because he spent most of his time looking out for Lockhead.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    He didn’t score sinkov but 18 year old wing half Sammy made his league debut in an unaccustomed right back position in the fixture replacing the injured John Angus. Brian O’Neil, Gordon Harris and Willie Irvine each scored twice with Andy Lochhead netting the other goal. Cliff Jones and Jimmy Greaves replied for Tottenham. I have a copy of the match programme (cost 4d!) which shows the match was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday 14 March 1964. That Saturday was FA Cup Semi Final day and our league fixture was postponed but I am not sure why as neither Spurs or Burnley were involved in the semi-finals.
    Cheers Outwood, that must have been it, Sammy was making his debut. Intriguing why the game wasn't played on it's scheduled Saturday, someone somewhere probably knows, but I've no idea.

Struggle to remember my 1st home game, but remember Wolves away in 1965 like it was yesterday, and I was only 5.

Remember my Dads mate who was nearly an hour late. Walking out of Molenuex after the match, and us winning.

Don't think we won again at Wolves for another 40 years after that, and I was probably at that one.

My first Burnley match was on the day of my granddad's funeral. I was announced as having traveled all the way from Norway to see Burnley play on the night. Not really true, and I am supposed to have said to my dad “that must bee someone else”.

I have never liked Middlesbrough since I attended my first match on 23 August 1952 and we lost to a last minute goal 0-1.
    We were at home on the following Tuesday night and beat Stoke but I was only 5 years old and not allowed to go with my dad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)