+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr Collins Sacked

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I'd say the lack of squad depth has cost us Jules. Classic examples were against Bolton at home and Pompey away. They had much stronger options off the bench and they brought them on and changed the game.

Collins in fairness hasn't had anything available on the bench all season that can make a big difference. Our strongest starting XI is good in this division but there's not a great deal to get excited about after those lads.
    Even the starting “best 11” havent raised the excitement Pass.
    Atmosphere (other than Derby and Bolton) has been dire. The enthusiasm the team has raised in me during the last few home games has been such that I have struggled to get off my ar$e to celebrate goals.
    The players haven't taken it on themselves to pass back, sideways and to the keeper at every opportunity, they have been told to.
    I can take the lack of ability, I can take the inexperience if I can see the lads without the skill set actually trying. What I cant take is the coach playing in a way that is seemingly holding back the skill that we have.

[QUOTE=Jules88;40493370]Even the starting “best 11” havent raised the excitement Pass.
    Atmosphere (other than Derby and Bolton) has been dire. The enthusiasm the team has raised in me during the last few home games has been such that I have struggled to get off my ar$e to celebrate goals.
    The players haven't taken it on themselves to pass back, sideways and to the keeper at every opportunity, they have been told to.
    I can take the lack of ability, I can take the inexperience if I can see the lads without the skill set actually trying. What I cant take is the coach playing in a way that is seemingly holding back the skill that we have.[/QUOTE

From a football and enjoyment point of view I’m glad hes gone. Sorry that someone loses their job. But the product being sold was awful

Wow, that’s certainly a surprise, certainly at this point in the season. Clearly management must have had a reason to dispense with Collins on the verge of the play offs and I wonder if they have someone lined up to come in already who they believe would galvanise the fans? It’s certainly a gamble whatever happens but it could seriously backfire if you fall down (I hope you don’t) on Saturday. On the other hand would a new manager want to come in now and be seen to fail before he gets started? Will the 8nterim management risk changing system before the huge games coming up or continue in the Collins mould because if so what was the point of changing? Strange decision so let’s see how it pans out after Saturday?

I totally get where you're coming from Jules. I respect your view of things and your opinions.

My point was that these things take time. Learning to be comfortable on the ball and either retaining it or using it in a positive fashion isn't easy when you are league 1. When you think about Viv Anderson walking through the Oakwell door in 1993 wanting to change the way we did things, it wasn't easy and it was a tough season and difficult to watch. However, we persevered and Wilson took the reigns and continued the same ethos by passing the ball. 4 years later we had the season of all seasons.

I'm not saying Collins could've emulated that but the idea was right in my opinion.

The problem with our club is that as you said Jules, fresh seeds get planted every year. We also have another head coach every season with different ideas. The 'Barnsley way' as Nudger puts it doesn't exist. It's just a myth. This begs the question, where's the continuity?

There's no integrity in football. A Board of directors appoints a head coach with the hope that he will be successful. 45 games in they suddenly decide he's not good enough and sack him with the team 5th in the table. The fact that they only gave Collins a 2 year contract says it all to me. It proves that they can't back their spreadsheet system. This isn't a football club anymore. It's a business, a cut throat business with no integrity.

SACK THE BOARD.

Interesting Head Coach stats from Okane on X

Games as Barnsley manager:
    Collins 52
    Duff 58
    Asbaghi 28
    Schopp 16
    Ismael 44
    Struber 39
    Stendel 66
    Morais 15
    Heckingbottom 105

New permanent boss, whoever that is, will be 10th in 6 years.

No manager has done 2 seasons

The ever revolving door at all levels beggars believe.

The football being played was like watching Man City with inferior players! Tap it around defence with an occasional flurry forward, the difference being we lose the ball and get punished, Man City don't lose the ball and score loads of goals! I hate watching Man City and Barnsley because it's boring as hell.
    I'm glad he's gone because something has to change to bring excitement back, last season under duff was exciting football whatever anyone thinks of him, I'd sooner lose 3-2 at an exciting game than lose 3-2 watching the way Collins had us playing!
    Hope they bring Warnock in for the play off's if we get there, can't see it though!

My opinion of the whole situation has not changed & that is that our current owners are out of their depth . I have no doubt that the current owners are decent honourable people who are trying their best but that is not always the criteria for success but they are not football people & this business for them is the wrong business, no doubt they took the decision yesterday believing they were doing the right thing but it does not make footballing sense , you remove the head coach 5 days before arguably the most important game of the season it becomes no more than a role of the dice but why it does not make any sense is that when we take to the field the coaches in the dug out will be the same coaches who have been in the dug out all season but now without a leader , Collins splits opinion but to me the guy was dealt a bum hand & has actually made a decent fist of it but as I read all the comments their seems to be very little criticism of the players for the recent demise in form , to me they have been the biggest factor in our downturn , we have seem some decent players at this level who have simply not performed and while I can accept that some of the squad are not up to the required standard & are not up to it but others are but have let their standards drop & you can blame Collins all day long but once the players cross that white line it is down to them . Regarding the play offs I have been saying for a while that we would fail but I did not blame Collins but now who knows now what might happen, as a fan I always want my side to win and I hope they win on saturday and prove me wrong but what ever the outcome is for the rest of this season it will not cure the fundamental problem at the club & that is the suits are not up to running the club & it is time for them to take a serious look at trying to sell the club and let someone else have a crack at it.

If Barnsley FC reach the Play Offs on Saturday Parekh's decision to sack Collins will be regarded as a brave masterstroke and Parekh will be carried aloft amongst a sea of admiring fans on the Oakwell pitch.

If Barnsley FC fail to reach the Play Offs on Saturday it will all be Collin's fault anyway as no one could be expected to change things around in one game, even though our shrewd owners made every effort to do so.

It's a PR Win Win.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    If Barnsley FC reach the Play Offs on Saturday Parekh's decision to sack Collins will be regarded as a brave masterstroke and Parekh will be carried aloft amongst a sea of admiring fans on the Oakwell pitch.

If Barnsley FC fail to reach the Play Offs on Saturday it will all be Collin's fault anyway as no one could be expected to change things around in one game, even though our shrewd owners made every effort to do so.

It's a PR Win Win.
    Not for me SB , I believe that the majority of our fan base are not daft and can see where the blame for the current situation lies and no matter what happens this season if we want to progress then look no further than the corridors of power.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast