+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a squad for the Premiership

Building a squad for the Premiership

How many new players do you think we need and in what positions.?

I've got a couple of thoughts/concerns about this.
    Assuming Jim Goodwin is staying....

I think most would agree that Jim did a good job in a very short time to find the right players to get us promoted. (Loan players aside) But the Premiership is a whole different ball game and I think everyone would agree we need to seriously strengthen the starting 11.
    So, again, if Jim is staying, where are these players going to come from? The Championship doesn't seem a fertile hunting ground at this time for players that will improve the side for next season.

So where? Relegated Livi might have a couple, no idea, so where?
    If Ross Co or St Johnstone go down maybe one or two from them.

Surely players released by the lower Prem clubs won't improve us? (Unless Jim suddenly finds some Brian Clough magic all of a sudden). Players that we're interested in will often have options at Hearts Hibs Aberdeen before choosing us.

So where? And for me this is a big problem, we don't have a scouting network where we're identifying players down south, can't match most lower English league budgets and still have to persuade an interested player to move to Dundee.

So where else? Loans? Maybe that will solve part of the problem but at the end of the day we need a core of our own players. Jim seems to be saying he's already working on this so it's going to be interesting to see who his first signing is.

Thoughts?

An easy couple of possibilities :

McClelland from St J if they go down

Simon Murray from Rossco if they go down or if he fancies the move anyway as he lives in the city

I'd like to see a former player of ours signed again. Although he didn't make an appearance in the first team, right-back Shaun Rooney who is currently with Fleetwood would be a solid signing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I'd like to see a former player of ours signed again. Although he didn't make an appearance in the first team, right-back Shaun Rooney who is currently with Fleetwood would be a solid signing imo.
    Does he have enough pace? Last time in the premier league we were caught out with the lack of pace from Edwards and Mulgrew. We went to a back 3 so that Graham could be the whippet at the back.

In Gallagher and Graham we have players with good experience playing at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspar View Post
    Does he have enough pace? Last time in the premier league we were caught out with the lack of pace from Edwards and Mulgrew. We went to a back 3 so that Graham could be the whippet at the back.
    Graham the whippet he's a slow as ****

will only need to be for one season

I would like to think that players give their all every game but know the truth, however it is an opportunity for everyone to bust a gut in the remaining 2 games.

When all the loan players JUMP fae Dens, I wonder who has the hardest task? Hmmn.. There should be a rule (there probably was at one time) about just how many loanees are acceptable and fair to other clubs who abide by the rules (legal and moral) Just like the 3 foreigners ( can we still say that? ) rule.

PS: IP addresses, can be easily found and blocked if required. Then again, that VPN thingy might come in to play....

Virtual Private Naecu*t....

Simon Murray is a no brainer for me

Try and bring Levitt home too, injury hampered but we are the club for him, will get the best out of him, especially with a stable goalie and defence

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)