+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T NHS Blood Donation

O/T NHS Blood Donation

O/T NHS Blood Donations

Ever thought of giving blood, the NHS Blood Donation centre's need more people
    to give blood, in what saves peoples lifes, & gives satisfaction to a donor knowing
    it helps save peoples life.

I recently donated blood, which i have done for over 50 years, knowing that my
    blood is going to help the NHS in their treatment of patients receiving it.

The Blood donor service lets you know what happens to your blood donation, with
    this last week, I was notified where my blood donation went.

After my donation, my blood was sent to a manufacturing centre in Manchester,
    after this my blood went to Tameside General Hospital, where it was used.

Remember ! The NHS will always require blood donations, can you be a donor.

Elk,as you say,it`s an important thing to do,and I think that everyone that can,should.
    Been a donor for about 30 years,and even donated Platelets during the pandemic,I would encourage people to do it,as there are some who can`t donate for various reasons,so the rest of us should step up.
    It`s quick and painless,and it sounds like a cliche,but you could save someone`s life.

Go and register - it’s far less painful than watching the Millers this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Canklow Kid View Post
    And you only see one prick

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    O/T NHS Blood Donations

to give blood, in what saves peoples lifes, & gives satisfaction to a donor knowing

I received over 3 litres during my surgery so I will always be grateful to those that give their blood.

I had donated a couple of times in the uk but brits that lived through the mad cows disease are unable to give blood in France.

Because of the high level of ferritin in my blood I have to have 450cl of blood removed from me on a weekly basis.

This procedure is done at the French federation of blood. It’s often full of donors giving plasma or blood.
    Unfortunately you have to have something to eat and drink before you leave and I must say that the choice is superb.

Give if you can. It doesn’t take long and it doesn’t hurt. The benefits for others like myself is life and death. ❤️

Yes, please go and give blood. So very important! Like Frog, I cannot give blood in France, but always make sure I book an appointment when I'm back in Edinburgh. I have one of the popular blood types so my blood is always in demand. It doesn't hurt, so go and book an appointment now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canklow Kid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    And you only see one prick
    Last edited by Ericsladkilnhurst; 25-04-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    O/T NHS Blood Donations

ELK, all donated blood goes through the Manchester centre now. Yes it's great where they now tell you where your blood goes, my last donation went on to Pinderfields.

Quite ironic you put this up, this week I received a large carded envelope from them. Upon opening it, inside was a certificate, a badge and a letter congratulating me for reaching my 25 'milestone'., I laughed. I actually achieved that way back when in 1990!

Thing is, I've only recently started donating again and to date I have only given a further 7 pints. I decided to call them up and explain there had been a mistake and that actually with me only recently staring up again, it should actually read 49 pints. After checking I was told they could only see 42 pints donated so, I asked where the 25 award had come form them, again we both shared a laugh.

Nowt more to do, the chap siad he would amend my record to show 49 pints had been donated so, my next donation in June will be my 50th.

I feel kind of embarrassed that I've let people down when I think I started donating way back in 1978 but due to moving jobs, life in general and location to donate, I let it slide. I wish I had donated more.

It's acceptable that many folk don't like needles so that's a non starter for them but, there are many millions of us out there that could donate
    but don't. You can't force anyone to do so but, how many more lives could others help by donating. The pain is minimal and no different than getting a jab from a Doctor or a Nurse. I hope my post just might prompt someone reading this to think about donating, you'll be providing a great service to someone who may well need your help like Frog has posted.