+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Forest Green Rovers 27.04.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Yep and also hit crosses / diagonals to the far post and hope the wingbacks are asleep. It was a bit like the Nolan season, I know we lost Yates but ultimately we were worked out.
    If JJ stays he can’t play at wingback it’s just a waste of his talent, he needs to be a bit more inside for me as teams can now as you say isolate him on the wing.
    Next season we need to be looking at 4-2-3-1. Then we can rotate JJ, McGoldrick, Crowley for the number 10 role with Nemane and another winger coming in (unless Randall makes more appearances).

Back 4 would also stop the cross pass to the flank as well

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Next season we need to be looking at 4-2-3-1. Then we can rotate JJ, McGoldrick, Crowley for the number 10 role with Nemane and another winger coming in (unless Randall makes more appearances).

If we can trust the BBC formations information, it does feel like 4-2-3-1 is more popular than 3-5-2 these days. By playing two genuine full backs, it would hopefully redress the attack/defence imbalance we currently have by playing two wingers as wing backs.

If I had to sum up our strengths and weaknesses in one stat, it’s this one: We outscored everyone in the division other than the three promoted teams; we conceded more goals than everyone else in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    If we can trust the BBC formations information, it does feel like 4-2-3-1 is more popular than 3-5-2 these days. By playing two genuine full backs, it would hopefully redress the attack/defence imbalance we currently have by playing two wingers as wing backs.

If I had to sum up our strengths and weaknesses in one stat, it’s this one: We outscored everyone in the division other than the three promoted teams; we conceded more goals than everyone else in the division.
    I watched the highlights of the Stockport game on you tube when I got back from the game and the Stockport commentators summed Notts up.
    They said watching us there is never a dull moment but the supporters must be having near heart attacks. Also they had never known a more chaotic club especially in defence. Couldn't argue with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Just watched Notts County Talk's vlog of the game. What a thoroughly nice bloke Steve Cotterill is coming over to the Notts fans and shaking a few hands. Top bloke.
    Quality manager. Wouldn't mind him back.

Yeah I would like to see that too, the only question mark is if we keep Langstaff, as we have him and Jatta who’s going to need to be central and obviously Scott too. 3-5-2 works for some teams but I think you just need 2 athletes each side that can effect the game defensively and attacking even if their not world beaters at either.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I watched the highlights of the Stockport game on you tube when I got back from the game and the Stockport commentators summed Notts up.
    They said watching us there is never a dull moment but the supporters must be having near heart attacks. Also they had never known a more chaotic club especially in defence. Couldn't argue with any of that.
    Spot on
    Generally speaking commentators know the game
    As do all our opponents unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Yeah I would like to see that too, the only question mark is if we keep Langstaff, as we have him and Jatta who’s going to need to be central and obviously Scott too. 3-5-2 works for some teams but I think you just need 2 athletes each side that can effect the game defensively and attacking even if their not world beaters at either.
    I suspect we will get an offer we can refuse for Macca
    JJ might be up for an extension if we can find a few competent, physical, defensive players to make the number of goals we score less futile
    And bring his deal up to a level that reflects his achievements this season
    He loves it here but he must be very frustrated to see how we've underachieved due

Yes the 3-5-2 worked in the National League because the overall quality of our playing resources allowed us to dominate most teams, but it has been brutally exposed in League Two because the players in the wide positions - usually Nemane and Jones - simply haven't got enough defensive ability to protect the back three (and at least two of the current back three aren't proper defenders anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I thought he left because he wasn't happy with the budget Trew offered for the following season??
    He might well have but it was it was the time it took for him to delay his decision that cost us big time that season.Rushing to get a new manager in place.effecting the acquisition of new players and sorting out a pre season all essential decisions delayed because he kept Trew hanging on..I also remember it was said it was to far north for him as he wanted to be close to home !!!...hiw far closer to his home is the city ground.?100 meters maybe ?
    I have nothing but contempt for the man...fat sam in disguise !!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Could'vebeenacontender View Post
    I suspect we will get an offer we can refuse for Macca
    JJ might be up for an extension if we can find a few competent, physical, defensive players to make the number of goals we score less futile
    And bring his deal up to a level that reflects his achievements this season
    He loves it here but he must be very frustrated to see how we've underachieved due
    I just don’t see many teams with the necessary funds to buy JJ or Macca - assuming that no Championship team comes in for either of them. Jodi’s been a joy to watch, but he can’t defend well enough to be a wing back. Similar story with Aaron - great going past his man, but is a liability at the back whenever a cross comes into the box.

You look full backs these days and the best are imposing athletes - Kyle Walker and Ben White being classic examples. I think Macari will be a good right back, but we need an imposing left back (Cameron’s not quick enough). Then we need to find the best way to use Aaron and JJ offensively.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast