+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Time For Montague And Maynard To Go Now

I’ll hold fire for a few days on the RM part of the discussion. I think there is an element of looking for people to blame here. Our recruitment hasn’t been perfect, but it’s hardly sackable level in the cold light of day.

The retained list will be the balance for the scales for me. If we don’t mention some of the obvious deadwood…then he needs to take responsibility for that. We all know we’re going to have to ‘free’ a few guys over the summer so best get it over and done with so they can find new clubs sooner rather than later.

The Maynard part? Christ. The old line “I’ll drive the guy there myself” comes to mind. What a poor appointment. And to make the statement we are with him next year because he was unlucky…
    New ideas, strong leader and experience is what is needed.
    Sorry bros. We need a change of approach from your previous appointments.
    Last edited by hissingdwarf; 28-04-2024 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I really don't get all this anti-Montague sentiment. The recruiting under the current leadership has been streets ahead of anything in recent times despite some that haven't turned out so well. The owners obviously trust his judgement after working with him for more than a decade. No club is going to have a 100% hit rate in terms of recruitment, especially when seeking greater value than cost.
    Nobody is saying that they expect perfection Swale. What is reasonable to expect would be an acknowledgment that they made mistakes. Too small a squad so no contingency for injuries, loss of form etc. New 2 year contracts to players who hardly good enough in the NL (Rawlinson, Slocombe). They should unambiguously accept that our defence is poor and not try to dig them out of hole by also blaming the rest of the squad (yes I know they play a part but…). The recent statement that they don’t think we are too far away ( just “bad luck “) makes me shudder. We are nowhere near, think Stockport.
    The final straw for me in the Magpie Circle broadcast was RM when asked by Paul Mace (about 1:19:40 in) about why we don’t put young lads such as James Sanderson on the bench was that under 18s have to have a chaperone and that essentially it was all a bit of a pain in the backside. If that is the way that one of our directors thinks then not much for the academy players to look forward to next season.

Stand still in sport and you go backwards and that is what I'm accusing RM and anyone else involved in recruitment pre-season last May of doing, there was this bizzare fascination with getting McGoldrick where in reality chasing a player at the end of is career was wrong, where it was obvious for most of us that even in the National League that defensively we were lacking and needed to take steps to strengthen there, if as head of recruitment you can't see that then you have to go. We all talk about sustainability, and having a strong spine would have been better starting this / last season and would have put us in a better position going into next season.

As an example take it a couple of leagues up any team going from the Championship up to the Premier League knows that there is a step up and you have to strengthen accordingly, it's all relative whatever level of sport it is. As I've said, personally (and it's my opinion) I have not much faith in recruitment at Notts, the 'Lucky Dip' process works now and again, but not all the time, oh for a Mark Ellis this / last season.

As for SM he's not up to the job, again the higher the level you go up the more expertise is needed, tbh if we appointed someone by the side of him with lower league experience I would feel a bit more confident. For the brothers if he stays starting next season I feel he hasn't much leeway with the supporters before they start calling for his head, the opening 10 games are going to be very interesting.

Retained list.
    Transfer list (do we have one nowadays?)
    These will be the key to next season and I would expect them to be published in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Stand still in sport and you go backwards and that is what I'm accusing RM and anyone else involved in recruitment pre-season last May of doing, there was this bizzare fascination with getting McGoldrick where in reality chasing a player at the end of is career was wrong, where it was obvious for most of us that even in the National League that defensively we were lacking and needed to take steps to strengthen there, if as head of recruitment you can't see that then you have to go. We all talk about sustainability, and having a strong spine would have been better starting this / last season and would have put us in a better position going into next season.

As an example take it a couple of leagues up any team going from the Championship up to the Premier League knows that there is a step up and you have to strengthen accordingly, it's all relative whatever level of sport it is. As I've said, personally (and it's my opinion) I have not much faith in recruitment at Notts, the 'Lucky Dip' process works now and again, but not all the time, oh for a Mark Ellis this / last season.

As for SM he's not up to the job, again the higher the level you go up the more expertise is needed, tbh if we appointed someone by the side of him with lower league experience I would feel a bit more confident. For the brothers if he stays starting next season I feel he hasn't much leeway with the supporters before they start calling for his head, the opening 10 games are going to be very interesting.
    Surely one of your opinions contradicts the other.
    If we’ve got a defence that isn’t fit for the NL, how can you then know that SM, who has inherited these players, isn’t up to the job?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Surely one of your opinions contradicts the other.
    If we’ve got a defence that isn’t fit for the NL, how can you then know that SM, who has inherited these players, isn’t up to the job?
    The Goals against column tells you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    The defence was just about fit for the National League, supplemented by our extraordinary goal power, but it's not good enough for League Two, and yes it's true that Stuart Maynard has had to work with what he's got until now.

This summer's recruitment needs to be almost entirely focused on finding players who can depend properly, which means centre-halves who can head, kick and tackle; wide defenders who are actually willing to commit everything to stopping crosses, a sizeable defensive midfieder who can properly screen the defence, and a competent and reliable goalkeeper.

We know that Stuart Maynard will be starting next season as manager so we can pretty much park any talk that he won't, but if we get the recruitment right as stated above, then any excuses that may have been valid this season go out of the window. He'll need a good first couple of months of results to get the support onside.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Nobody is saying that they expect perfection Swale. What is reasonable to expect would be an acknowledgment that they made mistakes. Too small a squad so no contingency for injuries, loss of form etc. New 2 year contracts to players who hardly good enough in the NL (Rawlinson, Slocombe). They should unambiguously accept that our defence is poor and not try to dig them out of hole by also blaming the rest of the squad (yes I know they play a part but…). The recent statement that they don’t think we are too far away ( just “bad luck “) makes me shudder. We are nowhere near, think Stockport.
    The final straw for me in the Magpie Circle broadcast was RM when asked by Paul Mace (about 1:19:40 in) about why we don’t put young lads such as James Sanderson on the bench was that under 18s have to have a chaperone and that essentially it was all a bit of a pain in the backside. If that is the way that one of our directors thinks then not much for the academy players to look forward to next season.
    Most academy players will be over 18. We had an academy but our better players could get picked off by every league club so we was left with under 18s and they can't be in the same dressing room as the adults which makes team talks difficult. He wasn't saying it wasn't worth doing, he was saying you can't just chuck a youth player in the squad at the last minute which was why we had two keepers on the bench a few weeks back

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    The Goals against column tells you everything you need to know.
    That doesn’t really answer my question?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

We know that Stuart Maynard will be starting next season as manager so we can pretty much park any talk that he won't,
    Don't you start too! Every interview he makes a point of saying "we the management team". He's Head Coach.

First-team staff

Head Coach: Stuart Maynard
    Assistant Head Coach: Matt Saunders
    First Team Coach: Craig Saunders
    First Team Coach: Joao Alves

The sooner he gets his coaching right and gives up pretensions of being a manager the quicker he can concentrate on getting some defence working without stifling the attack.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast