+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Time For Montague And Maynard To Go Now

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Saying RM has to go is absolutely ridiculous. This is the best recruitment I can remember for an extremely long time. People need to put their dummies back in and realise they’re not the oracles of football. RM and the owners know now defensively/ physically we’re not good enough and to sort it in Jan was a long shot. They took a decision in summer to see if defensively if we could cope, it was the wrong decision and that’s that, people get things wrong, the biggest crime will be if it’s not rectified.
    RM is a director and a long-standing employee of the Bros. Unless there is a disagreement in philosophy between him and his bosses, or he gets poached, there is no way he'll be going anywhere.

I do wonder however whether LW raised concerns about the defence last year and was disillusioned by the quality or whether he was party to thinking that what we had might cope.

However we arrived at where we are at we are at a lot higher than we were this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    RM is a director and a long-standing employee of the Bros. Unless there is a disagreement in philosophy between him and his bosses, or he gets poached, there is no way he'll be going anywhere.

I do wonder however whether LW raised concerns about the defence last year and was disillusioned by the quality or whether he was party to thinking that what we had might cope.

However we arrived at where we are at we are at a lot higher than we were this time last year.
    I remember LW saying in December that he knew there were defensive problems that 'it appeared he couldn't fix'. I often wonder what he meant by that?

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    The Goals against column tells you everything you need to know.
    I agree with you - 86 goals against is horrific. But the weird thing when you look at the table is that every team from 11th on down ended up with a negative goal difference except for us (plus 3). The big question is how we repeat the 89 scored next season and get the goals against below 50.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The big question is how we repeat the 89 scored next season and get the goals against below 50.
    Certainly a conundrum worth solving. If we do, we're champions next season!

18 points out of a possible 57 is not a good return anyway you look at it.

I will of course renew my season ticket tommorow , but I am dreading next season with Maynard still in charge.

The one thing we know is that we can’t afford to go down again and risk the academy funding. In that sense, this season was a free hit for SM, but he can’t expect the same next season if the results stay the same and he’s been backed in the summer.

We have several inadequate defensive players with the second year of a two year contract to run. How easy is it going to be to offload them? And others who have not featured much in a team that has been struggling to win. Do we say “Rawlinson, Brindley, Stone, Slocombe are available” and expect there to be lots of interest? And will Rawlinson, Brindley and Slocombe want to give up their contracts with Notts for playing time somewhere else at this stage of their careers? Generally I think we’ve managed contract lengths quite well (Langstaff for example) but we did have a moment of over generosity last year. That may not be easy to correct.

Those who haven’t featured much are also a problem, if they’re still under contract. One or two may yet come good, but I doubt if many of us are holding our breath. This is the first time in three or four years that I’ve felt we really do have some players not worth their wages in the squad. And Tiernan can’t go on being loaned out for ever. Is he going to make it at Notts?

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    And will Rawlinson, Brindley and Slocombe want to give up their contracts with Notts for playing time somewhere else at this stage of their careers?
    I believe Brindley is out of contract this summer.

I hate to hear the 'get rid' noises for players under contract - our club drew the contracts up, signed them so should honour them if no transfers are available.

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    We have several inadequate defensive players with the second year of a two year contract to run. How easy is it going to be to offload them? And others who have not featured much in a team that has been struggling to win. Do we say “Rawlinson, Brindley, Stone, Slocombe are available” and expect there to be lots of interest? And will Rawlinson, Brindley and Slocombe want to give up their contracts with Notts for playing time somewhere else at this stage of their careers? Generally I think we’ve managed contract lengths quite well (Langstaff for example) but we did have a moment of over generosity last year. That may not be easy to correct.

Those who haven’t featured much are also a problem, if they’re still under contract. One or two may yet come good, but I doubt if many of us are holding our breath. This is the first time in three or four years that I’ve felt we really do have some players not worth their wages in the squad. And Tiernan can’t go on being loaned out for ever. Is he going to make it at Notts?
    Brindley’s gone. Our only option may be sending the likes of Rawlinson, Chicksen, Stone, Morias and Slocombe out on loan next season if we can’t offload them as free transfers. It’s a lot of players to be carrying otherwise.

I don't understand some of the opinions at all. Yes, there has been some errors recruitment wise, but that is going to happen, it happens to every team in football. Warner and Colkett turned out to be ineffectual but I maintain that Warner is going to be a good player, just didn't work out for us here. He's a 6'4 ball playing centre half who had played championship football earlier in the season, any dof or coach in the country would have taken a chance on him, on top of that, our other January signings, Macari, Robertson and Jatta have all shown enough to prove that they are going to be massive players for us in the future. Combine those with summer signings of Crowley, McGoldrick and Jones and there is a spine of a promotion team no question. Baldwin, if he fixes up his attitude and cuts out some of the mistakes, could play levels higher than l2 and nemane has come on leaps and bounds under the new manager, and I haven't even mentioned Langstaff yet. With Matty Palmer coming back this team has the potential to be challenging at the top next season and whoever is in charge will have my backing until the brothers decide to make a change.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast