+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time For Montague And Maynard To Go Now

When you consider the clubs financial outlay for recruitment most clubs would consider it successful I personally think it's worked relatively good a few dead ducks and a few hidden gems. Yes the January recruitment fell well short of what was needed but to be fair Williams shock departure right at the tranfer window didn't help difficult to convince potential targets to sign when they don't know who they will be playing under we were Managerless for a few weeks and those targets probably signed for other teams.
    My main concern for next season is Maynard will have imput on who comes in and who goes not the final say but definitely imput.

Sorry input,a bit scary

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I really don't get all this anti-Montague sentiment. The recruiting under the current leadership has been streets ahead of anything in recent times despite some that haven't turned out so well. The owners obviously trust his judgement after working with him for more than a decade. No club is going to have a 100% hit rate in terms of recruitment, especially when seeking greater value than cost.
    Is totally the correct answer ! The Jury is still out on Maynard, but with a pre season and some new bodies in the club he will hopefully come good ! fingers and toes crossed.

I really don't get all this anti-Montague sentiment. The recruiting under the current leadership has been streets ahead of anything in recent times despite some that haven't turned out so well. The owners obviously trust his judgement after working with him for more than a decade. No club is going to have a 100% hit rate in terms of recruitment, especially when seeking greater value than cost.
    This - filly agree the best I ever remember apart from munto. They should sort defence but they have acknowledged that. Coach is another story.

Recruitment is definitely better than it's been in years or even decades. Since the bros/Montague have come in, we've signed Wootton, Roberts, Ruben, Palmer, Langstaff, Scott, Crowley, Jones. The problem is, there are no defensive players on that list.

We definitely paid the price for staying loyal to last year's group, but I can sort of see why we did. Continuity and morale are important factors in success, but it was clear to most people that players like Rawlo, Slocombe, and Brindley weren't up to L2 football.

Big summer coming up. We'll see how serious our leadership is about promotion, and how much they've really learned from this campaign. It's also a very bold move to give Maynard the summer based on a proprietary data model that suggests we've been unlucky. If he has a bad start, fans will kick off big time, and the season could be lost by autumn. The problem is, a bit like offering two-year deals to aging NL-level defenders, pretty much none of us fans can see this working out well.

Let's hope there's some method to the bros' madness and we all end up eating humble pie!
    Last edited by slack_pie; 28-04-2024 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Absolute nonsense. Overall poor recruitment, especially the hopeless coach. We have so many players not fit to play for Notts, which is why we lose to **** teams like FGR, Sutton United etc and lose five home games on the bounce. Football is a game of opinions, but one of us is right and it's not you.
    That's only your opinion, the clue is in the word opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Fresh and seasoned / experienced ideas needed for next season, one things for sure unless Maynard has an unbelievable season they are both on thin ice with the supporters from the start.

That interview on Magpie Circle did nothing to feel confident about, if they said that they have fecked up massively on Defensive recruitment this season I would have a lot of respect for the club, I hope behind the scenes that is the sentiment. It feels the club is going backwards on the pitch, and we are either too stubborn to acknowledge it or are very naive.

A lot of bridge building is needed by the club as most of us knew last season we weren’t good enough defensively. Time to act.
    What is it you want them to say publicly? Cameron’s cr@p? shouldn’t have wasted salary on McGoldrick? We’re going to bin the lot of them?
    Well they’re just not going to do that for obvious reasons.
    Anyone with a pair of eyes can see where we need to improve, so why do you feel the need for the club to seek forgiveness? I’d rather them just make inroads on next seasons improvement.
    The Jan signings of Ashby-Hammond and Warner looked a good bit of business, along with a defensive midfielder in Scott Robertson.
    For whatever reason, Warner just never looked comfortable and added nothing to the team. But it’s not an exact science.
    Go back 3 years and many stags fans wanted Clough out and the owners were getting dogs abuse after they finished 16th. Time, stability and steady progression hasn’t worked out badly for them.
    I think it was said our budget was mid table, and that’s where we finished. There’s no doubt that has been a disappointment after the start we had, but I’m not left feeling heads have to roll. I’m left feeling lessons need to be learnt l, and I’m sure they will have.

Saying RM has to go is absolutely ridiculous. This is the best recruitment I can remember for an extremely long time. People need to put their dummies back in and realise they’re not the oracles of football. RM and the owners know now defensively/ physically we’re not good enough and to sort it in Jan was a long shot. They took a decision in summer to see if defensively if we could cope, it was the wrong decision and that’s that, people get things wrong, the biggest crime will be if it’s not rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    What is it you want them to say publicly? Cameron’s cr@p? shouldn’t have wasted salary on McGoldrick? We’re going to bin the lot of them?
    Well they’re just not going to do that for obvious reasons.
    Anyone with a pair of eyes can see where we need to improve, so why do you feel the need for the club to seek forgiveness? I’d rather them just make inroads on next seasons improvement.
    The Jan signings of Ashby-Hammond and Warner looked a good bit of business, along with a defensive midfielder in Scott Robertson.
    For whatever reason, Warner just never looked comfortable and added nothing to the team. But it’s not an exact science.
    Go back 3 years and many stags fans wanted Clough out and the owners were getting dogs abuse after they finished 16th. Time, stability and steady progression hasn’t worked out badly for them.
    I think it was said our budget was mid table, and that’s where we finished. There’s no doubt that has been a disappointment after the start we had, but I’m not left feeling heads have to roll. I’m left feeling lessons need to be learnt l, and I’m sure they will have.
    Great post. I’m sure this Wednesday’s forum will prove illuminating, because for the first time there is some frustration about how the season went downhill. It will be interesting to hear the lessons the owners and management have learned.

One lesson should be about loan signings, because ours didn’t really work this season (even though we signed him and he looks promising, you can’t really say Macari had a good season with the number of injuries he picked up). Warner and Tipton both seemed to struggle with the physical nature of the division, which says to me that you need players who have been there, have the scars and see defending the goal as their main objective - if they’re good on the ball, great, but that’s the cherry on the top, not the first requirement. They just need to pass the ball 5 yards to Matty Palmer, or whoever’s playing in deep midfield.

Agree with you there SwalePie. Although I'm on record as saying recruitment is 60% to blame for the teams problems this season. The overall recruitment over the past few years, has been far better than the previous approach. (Throwing darts at the dartboard.)

And have there ever been two seasons with more goals from the pies? This thread seems to have attracted some outlier opinions from angry from Arnold.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast