+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brindley gone...

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Interesting on Bostock. Why?
    To see if the club values what he can offer more than a section of the fans do.
    We should be careful of jettisoning players who can play our style, they don't grow on trees.

He's 32 now, if he stays there should be a plan for managing his pitch time (just like there wasn't for McGoldrick this season)

And midfield is a problem area - we're going to need options. Too many fans are assuming MP comes back the same player. Let's pray he does - but we've seen how brutal L2 can be in the middle of the park, that knee's going to be tested 20 times a game.

Brindley did a good job for us at National League level but was clearly beyond his depth in League Two, so I'm not surprised he's leaving. Good luck to him though, he was part of the team that took us back to the league and that's an achievement to be respected.

Should we really be thinking about keeping players that need their game time managed? I can see a case for JOB but not JB.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Should we really be thinking about keeping players that need their game time managed? I can see a case for JOB but not JB.
    Its pretty much a buzz word for squad player now.

I think it depends on wages as it might be best spent on fresh player.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    We should be careful of jettisoning players who can play our style, they don't grow on trees.
    Bostock can certainly play our style because he's very good with the ball, but the question I would ask is, where?

It's been evident this season that he's not defensively strong enough to play a reliable deep midfield (i.e. defensive midfield) role at League Two level. Similar to the wing-backs, our overall dominance at National League level meant the weaknesses in his defensive game weren't often exposed, but in this higher league he looks like a passenger if he hasn't got the ball and when we're not controlling the game.

I agree Bostock's got tremendous ability as a ball-player, but the only way I can see him contributing is if he moves further up the field. As a screen for the back line he's a liability a lot of the time, getting bypassed or lunging in with clumsy tackles. He's very much been part of "the problem" defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Bostock can certainly play our style because he's very good with the ball, but the question I would ask is, where?

It's been evident this season that he's not defensively strong enough to play a reliable deep midfield (i.e. defensive midfield) role at League Two level. Similar to the wing-backs, our overall dominance at National League level meant the weaknesses in his defensive game weren't often exposed, but in this higher league he looks like a passenger if he hasn't got the ball and when we're not controlling the game.

I agree Bostock's got tremendous ability as a ball-player, but the only way I can see him contributing is if he moves further up the field. As a screen for the back line he's a liability a lot of the time, getting bypassed or lunging in with clumsy tackles. He's very much been part of "the problem" defensively.
    Agree. He was alright at the start of the season when he had Palmer mopping things up for him. Personally I would not be disappointed if we did not renew his contract but equally I would not be critical if we did. But if we do it is surely only likely to be a one year deal and at this stage of his career he will probably look for better if he can get it. Which he will probably be able to. I don't think he will be here next season.

Agree (and with legs77) the issue with him playing in an advance position is he only has a left foot (well he has a right one as well but...) if the pass isn't on that foot he has to turn or gets caught.

Bostock needs to go. He's not a regular starter now in what is a weak centre midfield and he's getting slower by the month. I'm pretty sure he'll be released to free up budget.
    Good luck to Brins, he's done his best for us and been pretty consistent for the most part although I think release g him is the correct decision.

Brindley did a good job for us at National League level but was clearly beyond his depth in League Two, so I'm not surprised he's leaving. Good luck to him though, he was part of the team that took us back to the league and that's an achievement to be respected.
    My thoughts exactly. Always came across as a good professional and he achieved his aim of getting us back into the Football League. For that, I’m extremely grateful.

Was he out of contract I assume?
    I’ve never really rated him tbh. Always shows how we all see things differently. The old bloke next to me in the Pavis always called him the Rolls Royce of defenders. More like an old metro imo.
    We need to move on from players like this and realise we’re a L2 outfit now. Good first step.

Even better step…Anounce SM has left the building tomorrow please!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast