+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained List

Quote Originally Posted by M0ufMk3 View Post
    The tragedy in there is Baldwin. At his best a Rolls Royce of a defender and so much better than any others in the squad. At his worst an unreliable Morris Marina. Too much responsibility placed on his nature as the central defender in a back three and I really believe he would be excellent with an enforcer beside him (one given free rein to throttle Baldwin as well if necessary), but the system doesn't allow for that. Still, as Rick Blaine surely meant to say, "We'll always have Borehamwood".
    If Baldwin can find a club with a manager who encourages him to just hoof the ball upfield when he's under pressure instead of expecting him to play his way out of trouble he'll probably have a great career. He's just not a horse for our particular course.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    If Baldwin can find a club with a manager who encourages him to just hoof the ball upfield when he's under pressure instead of expecting him to play his way out of trouble he'll probably have a great career. He's just not a horse for our particular course.
    Can’t wait to see him try and kick the life out of Macca at some point next season, get booed all game and then score the winner.

Relieved to see this list TBH. They've opted for sanity over sentimentality this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Relieved to see this list TBH. They've opted for sanity over sentimentality this time.
    Exactly. Every single decision makes sense, though I’m sure a couple must have been tough calls.

JOB did really well overall this year, but we need players who can start 46 league games and stay fresh. Best to say goodbye when he’s remembered as a great servant to the club and as someone who will always be guaranteed a warm welcome at the Lane.

Baldwin was also a brave call. He’s clearly a very talented defender, but how long can you keep making the same mistake before you pay for it? Two years, it turns out. We need better if we hope to progress out of this league.

Is it me getting old or is the reaction on Twitter a bit too much? It’s all how great these players were for us and they’re all legends.
    Yes they did their part in a promotion winning team. From…Non-League.
    JoB is the closest of the bunch to be a ‘icon’ as he put 110% in every time he was called upon.
    The rest did their jobs at the time and now it’s time for them to move on.
    Appreciated them whilst wearing the shirt, but this sudden outpouring of love…I can’t remember us being such a ‘luvvy’ fan base before?
    I’ve read Baldwin was one of the best footballers some have seen in recent years??? Christ. Did they edit out the bloopers from nearly every single match when they decided that?

Onwards and upwards.
    Thanks for the job gents, but time to be replaced with (hopefully) better players. That’s the business you’re in.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    Is it me getting old or is the reaction on Twitter a bit too much? It’s all how great these players were for us and they’re all legends.
    JoB is the closest of the bunch to be a ‘icon’ as he put 110% in every time he was called upon.
    Appreciated them whilst wearing the shirt, but this sudden outpouring of love…I can’t remember us being such a ‘luvvy’ fan base before?
    I’ve read Baldwin was one of the best footballers some have seen in recent years??? Christ. Did they edit out the bloopers from nearly every single match when they decided that?

Onwards and upwards.
    Thanks for the job gents, but time to be replaced with (hopefully) better players. That’s the business you’re in.
    I think there’s a massive element of PR going off and I don’t think there’s any harm in it. Looks good to a lot fans and potentially new signings too.

Onwards and upwards.
    Give them a link to that you tube goals feed that somebody did. I finally watched it and I was ready to lynch Baldwin after 5 minutes. Unfortunately part of the problem. I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career in the Vanarama ( his level) although without him we might still be in the National League!

Who in the retained list (if still at Notts) be in the starting 11 when Notts kick off the new season?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I think there’s a massive element of PR going off and I don’t think there’s any harm in it. Looks good to a lot fans and potentially new signings too.
    I meant more from supporters. I get the club doing it. As you say, looks good. Makes the club seem less mercenary, but players aren’t daft. Surely you play for a club…until you don’t.

Onwards and upwards.
    Very much agree. I'd tended to be reserved about JoB with him and Doyle failing to keep us up but this last season has seen him truly become a Pie.

I do wonder if they would have been held in such high esteem if we had simply been automatically promoted rather than the roller coaster of the play-offs and that wonderful day, albeit National League, at Wembley.

And maybe it is because they, including LW, have all played their part in the new dawn under the Bros. Or it's just that we didn't have social media when we had consecutive PO finals at Wembley and hit the top flight. A new, social media #metoo, supporter group has arrived and we can just reflect on more impassive times.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast