+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stadium Expansion

Stadium Expansion

Looks like the club want to go forward with expansion at St. James - which I think most wanted anyway.
    ------------------------------
    Newcastle United are set to progress with plans to expand St James’ Park after concluding a feasibility study on the site.

The club’s preference has always been to expand the current stadium, which has been Newcastle’s home since its formation in 1892.

Following a six-month feasibility study from experts and world-leading architects, the club have received a logistical green light to progress with plans to increase St James’ Park’s capacity to more than 60,000.

The Telegraph has also reported that the multi-million pound redevelopment has been described as ‘one of the most ambitious stadium rebuilds seen in this country’ and will involve a complete modernisation of St James’ Park. Any construction work at the stadium is likely to be subject to the club extending its current leasehold, which expires in 2097.

The club currently pays Newcastle City Council ground rent as part of the lease agreement and would want to ensure an extended lease is agreed prior to expanding the stadium. The current 99-year lease was agreed around the time Newcastle’s previous expansion of St James’ Park started to take place in the summer of 1998.

St James’ Park’s city centre location close to listed buildings and the Leazes Conservation Area has often been viewed as a major ro******* when it comes to any further expansion of the stadium.

But the club purchasing the land at Strawberry Place which is currently set to host a new STACK fan zone has renewed hope of expanding the Gallowgate Stand in the coming years. The St James’ STACK is set to remain in place for the next three years as things stand.

St James’ Park is set to host European Championships matches in the summer of 2028, further complicating the timeframe in which an expansion could take place. As things stand, there are no confirmed dates or schedules for when work would take place.

A complete stadium rebuild has previously been considered on nearby Leazes Park, with independent concept images shared online earlier this month. But that would only resurface as a possibility if the club were unable to reach an agreement with Newcastle City Council regarding a leasehold.

The feasibility study has provided Newcastle with the plans needed to make expanding St James’ Park in its current guise a reality.

Speaking back in January while the study was taking place, Newcastle chief executive Darren Eales said: “St James’ Park is a great location at the heart of the community, up on the hill, and if we can expand St James’ Park, then clearly that would make sense. But we have to know what’s possible.

"That is our number one approach, and that’s what our experts are doing now. We’ve got world leaders looking at it in terms of what is architecturally possible and what that would mean from a capacity and revenue perspective.

"If there’s a way that we can expand St James’ Park, then all things being equal, that would be the route that we would like to take.”

Want to see what is meant by ‘more than 60k’

If just more, then it is 8k extra seats and will do little in terms of match day revenue.

I’d still rather see a new purpose built stadium.

Aye, much as I love St. James', a simple expansion isn't really the leap forward we need.

Shame we can't do what Spurs did and stay on the same site but rebuild a little further into Leazes Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Aye, much as I love St. James', a simple expansion isn't really the leap forward we need.

Shame we can't do what Spurs did and stay on the same site but rebuild a little further into Leazes Park.
    There could be overlapping stands like on this picture (Bordeaux new stadium plans)
    https://arquitecturaviva.com/assets/...ebp?h=1dc9e8fe

May be they can dig the pitch down few yards and that will make room for expansions on all 4 stands

It's not just the number of seats that is important, financially that is, for the fans obviously the more the merrier, but if a proportion of that extra capacity is high end executive suites, and they can fill them, then that can get a lot more revenue in. The addition of other facilities as opposed to just seats, can also increase the revenue that the club can garner from the stadium as well as increase the opportunities for non match day revenue streams

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    There could be overlapping stands like on this picture (Bordeaux new stadium plans)
    https://arquitecturaviva.com/assets/...ebp?h=1dc9e8fe

May be they can dig the pitch down few yards and that will make room for expansions on all 4 stands
    I made that suggestion about lowering the pitch a few weeks ago but another poster pointed out that the metro line runs under the pitch.

Whether or not it could be diverted, if financially viable, I just don't know.

I’m hoping we’re going to be very ambitious - we need to be looking at restaurants, bars, gyms and even offices. I saw a program showing what the Dallas Cowboys have done. Despite limited success on the field they are now easily the richest franchise in the game there.
    One of the best parts was the offices, which overlooked the training pitches (a big selling point!)

If the capacity or any other plan to increase turnover is limited by staying at the same site then I would prefer a move and a brand new build.
    NUFCs future is even more important than its past.

Thanks for the information. I want to know it.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)