+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfers this Summer

Transfers this Summer

Regardless of where we end up in a few weeks (most likely Champ I hope!) how well do you think we will fare in the transfer market?

It seems like Patel is willing to spend some cash, but do we have the right people at the club to make sure we don't make the same mistakes we have previously (Zohore, Grant, Diangana etc) where we spent too much on likely over the odds wages too?

I trust in Corberan but who is above him and what is our scouting network like? It it ever been the same since Dan Ashworth?

I am worried we could end up no better off but hope we have some structure in place to put a cap on transfer fees and wages.

I would love to see younger, hungrier players that want to play and fight with passion for the club, and no more journeymen!

Also, do we see Kipre and Mowatt staying? Not sure how fussed I am about the others due to age and/or salary.

Let's wait and see!

It’s important that we reduce the age of the squad and focus on players below the age of 24. There aren’t many assets in the squad and our future could be determined by a sale of a quality youngster in the next couple of years.

Norwich got promoted the season after selling Maddison for £25m.

My take is that’s easier for the back room staff to succeed if there’s a blueprint and I think we have that with Corberan. He wants high pressure football and he will no doubt target players who can put a shift in.

Need to extend Kipre, try and keep Johnston, not overly fussed if we loose others as long as we get better replacements.

Lots to do over the summer and next January transfer windows,
    Obviously the loan players will go, but we have to have a complete overhaul, some players have been here too long, the likes of Furlong, Bartley, Townsend, Grant, Dike, Phillips, Reach, Kelly, Chalobah all need to go.
    Clean slate so Corberan can build his own side, if unfortunately this includes the like of Furlong, Townsend Bartley and Phillips then I give up

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Lots to do over the summer and next January transfer windows,
    Obviously the loan players will go, but we have to have a complete overhaul, some players have been here too long, the likes of Furlong, Bartley, Townsend, Grant, Dike, Phillips, Reach, Kelly, Chalobah all need to go.
    Clean slate so Corberan can build his own side, if unfortunately this includes the like of Furlong, Townsend Bartley and Phillips then I give up
    Dike won’t be going anywhere, he’s under contract for at least the next two years.

I’m not against keeping Reach and Phillips but only on minimum wage, they need to be realistic.

I’m probably in a minority but I’m not including myself in this love in of Kipre, his passing out from the back causes me much angst.

For certain though, if Carlos wants to play out from the back we have to find players who are more comfortable on the ball.

When you watch the likes of Man City’s keeper, he’s actually more comfortable and accomplished on the ball than our back four.

As a very mediocre right back I hated playing out with the ball, you need the ability to at least beat a man otherwise it’s too easy for opponents to pen you in as a defence.

Problem for us is that we can’t go long or go channel because we’re too slow getting upfield to support Fellows and Johnston and we have no target man to hold the ball up.

First and foremost we need a young, strong and physical centre forward before any other signing.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    It’s important that we reduce the age of the squad and focus on players below the age of 24. There aren’t many assets in the squad and our future could be determined by a sale of a quality youngster in the next couple of years.

Norwich got promoted the season after selling Maddison for £25m.

My take is that’s easier for the back room staff to succeed if there’s a blueprint and I think we have that with Corberan. He wants high pressure football and he will no doubt target players who can put a shift in.

CC says the older players might necessarily be going nowhere as he likes experience. I don’t like Miles and we need to recruit another Dan Ashworth and pay the money. Would I trust CC with bringing in the players - No! I think he should have a say and formulate a decision with a new recruitment director. Apart from Johnston - not impressed with any of the loans brought in and it wasn’t Baggie Bird who made that decision!!! Marshall did not even feature FFS. These loans would not have been cheap and the question needs to be asked - why have some other championship clubs brought in better loans?

Bartley - Reach - Phillips all need to go! I would sell Griffiths and Grant if any reasonable offers. Dike needs to get match fit and then we need to off load him as for sure - he will get injured again.

Reach and Phillips are good pros, I’d keep both as long as they are realistic and take much reduced wages.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Reach and Phillips are good pros, I’d keep both as long as they are realistic and take much reduced wages.

Phillips only plays a third of every season for
    f uck sake! Past his best so get rid. Reach could be offered 10 grand a week tops or do one! Too many hangers for my liking! Bartley although he’s had a decent season is another way - too costly - too injury prone and no real bottle!

We need to be ruthless

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Phillips only plays a third of every season for
    f uck sake! Past his best so get rid. Reach could be offered 10 grand a week tops or do one! Too many hangers for my liking! Bartley although he’s had a decent season is another way - too costly - too injury prone and no real bottle!

We need to be ruthless
    Philips is a quality player at this level.

He was our player of the season up until getting injured.

I’ve always liked Phillips, a proper pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Philips is a quality player at this level.

He was our player of the season up until getting injured.

I’ve always liked Phillips, a proper pro.
    Agreed Mick, a bit too injury prone to keep though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)