+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kewell our or relegation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'd leave him/her to it Delroy. It is either Nolan himself or one of his mates.

Whatever Kewell's limitations may be he is still a far better prospect than Nolan - who is a one dimensional "Allardyce clone" with little imagination and even less managerial skill.

Kewell's recognition of how limited the squad is on talent, focus on utilising the more effective players in positions they are comfortable with (mostly!!) and ability to shore up the defence has been instrumental in getting us the handful of points we have managed - as opposed to the sheer dearth of vision and poor organisation of half decent players that Nolan fumbled & stumbled around with for far too long.

I'm still not convinced by Kewell but Nolan would have had us firmly in the bottom 2 by Christmas and with no prospect of getting out of the relegation places in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    I'd leave him/her to it Delroy. It is either Nolan himself or one of his mates.

Whatever Kewell's limitations may be he is still a far better prospect than Nolan - who is a one dimensional "Allardyce clone" with little imagination and even less managerial skill.

Kewell's recognition of how limited the squad is on talent, focus on utilising the more effective players in positions they are comfortable with (mostly!!) and ability to shore up the defence has been instrumental in getting us the handful of points we have managed - as opposed to the sheer dearth of vision and poor organisation of half decent players that Nolan fumbled & stumbled around with for far too long.

I'm still not convinced by Kewell but Nolan would have had us firmly in the bottom 2 by Christmas and with no prospect of getting out of the relegation places in my view.
    I liked Nolan as a bloke but when people talk about Tuesday being the worse performance they have seen in years I laugh. Some of the stuff we were served up last season was a disgrace, every single ball lumped up to poor old John Stead, my daughter whos 12 even said why do they keep doing this, it doesn't work and it's rubbish. Why can't people realise, the rest of the league clocked it by Christmas and put in tactics to stop it and we nosed dived. As much as I couldn't stand Coventry beating us and getting dodgy decisions, they absolutely blew us a way, we looked divisions apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Nolan was and will always be streets ahead of Kewell
    Nolan was good at man mangement - and that's about it really.

He played the percentage game pretty well but his hoofball - 'stoneage' - football philosophy got rumbled when Yates left. We scraped into the playoffs because of a decent run before xmas His form after xmas was bottom 6-8 at very best. In the playoffs - despite the poor refreeing decisions - we were comfortably beaten, over two legs by a better footballing side .

Move onto the close season and despite being questioned repeatedly about our clueless back four and powder puff midfield, Nolan maintained that he was happy with his squad. The season started and we went on a divebomber run for the Conference. A losing streak that only Sheridan has 'bettered' this century.

The side that Kewell is managing is the product of Nolan's incompetence. Our squad is bigger but weaker than last season, with no serviceable cover in midfield, just a few light weight prospects for the future. And all this is because of Nolan's godamn awful summer recruitment. Add into that the poor fitness levels in the squad and Nolan's off the pitch problems and frankly i'm surprised he wasn't sacked a lot sooner.

Kewell has been here for a dozen games or so and has 13 points to his name, (much better than Nolan's 1 point from 6 games ratio). Kewell should be judged by how he performs when he gets in the players that he wants, rather than based on the disaster that was Nolan's close season recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I liked Nolan as a bloke but when people talk about Tuesday being the worse performance they have seen in years I laugh. Some of the stuff we were served up last season was a disgrace, every single ball lumped up to poor old John Stead, my daughter whos 12 even said why do they keep doing this, it doesn't work and it's rubbish. Why can't people realise, the rest of the league clocked it by Christmas and put in tactics to stop it and we nosed dived. As much as I couldn't stand Coventry beating us and getting dodgy decisions, they absolutely blew us a way, we looked divisions apart.
    Some of the crap served up last year away from home ie. Crewe, Grimsby,Barnet,Coventry, Mansfield, Swindon and Chesterfield. I would have got rid of him at the end of the season. He was just a one trick pony, and a very poor one at that and will be surprised if he ever gets another managerial job again..