+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing! .. For those hose who were there

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    No wanting to sound like im picking on Powers here but we didnt do all this side and back passing with Harkes/ Butcher/ Stanton, for me he's slowed us right down.
    For me it's Pawlett that does all the side and back passing, opinions though.

I canna remember Powers having a forward pass mate

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    Our manager is below average and most managers in the Championship would have done as well with the same financial backing.
    This is one of these things that's very easy to say but you have no evidence for it what so ever and, IMO, isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    As it has been all season. The games where we have played well have been few and far between. We have the best striker in the league and most weeks give him no service whatsoever. He is so good that he scores goals despite our set up and style of play.

Our manager is below average and most managers in the Championship would have done as well with the same financial backing.

To be moaning when we are so far ahead in the league at this point of the season seems ridiculous, but anyone who has seen us regularly this season knows exactly what I'm saying.
    Bang on, the team have only clickd about 5/6 times, number 24's sharpness and our rivals eagerness to keep dropping points, have painted a very false perception that we are pissing this league by playing better football.

The reality is somewhat different and borders on head in hands stuff at times

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    100% agree
    100% we are totally overrated too predictable in how we play

Quote Originally Posted by utd4me View Post
    For me it's Pawlett that does all the side and back passing, opinions though.

They both do it imho, Powers can play some good long range passes and i think will/would be very effective if/when we actually play proper wingers. Pawlett just stands out wide and waits for the ball in to feet, his first touch is backwards then inside. It effects Liam Smith as well as there is no runs in behind the full back like McMullan would do for Liam Smith to play a through ball or run behind

One of the reason we pulled away from the pack was that run we had without conceding goals. We are vulnerable defensively again. Common factor Connolly returning to the defence. Leaving aside the League Cup at the beginning of the season;

Connolly has started 8 games, 11 conceded, 1 clean sheet
    Games without Connolly in starting line up 16 games, 11 conceded, 9 clean sheets.

No wanting to sound like im picking on Powers here but we didnt do all this side and back passing with Harkes/ Butcher/ Stanton, for me he's slowed us right down.
    Can only comment on what I've seen, both the Hibs games & Morton (which we'll forget about) and he was excellent vs Hibs. I have nothing against a sideways pass if it helps build an attack. Sometimes simple is better, like his pass to Smith vs Morton which people moaned about when he done it, yet it helped set up the goal.

The issue for me is Robbies tactics. We now have two holding midfielders in the team. The only formation that's gonna work in is a 4-2-3-1. We haven't yet played that with Powers in the team. Since the derby we've played 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 & 4-3-3. No ****ing wonder we've hit a blip. Tombola tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    This is one of these things that's very easy to say but you have no evidence for it what so ever and, IMO, isn't true.
    And your statement is just as easy to make. Give us some evidence to back it up. You honestly believe that someone like Dick Campbell, when you see what he has achieved with a part time team like Arbroath, couldn't equal or better what Neilson has done with all the resources that he has been given? His team selection and tactics were spot on yesterday. Unlike ours.

I canna remember Powers having a forward pass mate
    He's come from a football playing country where if a forward pass isn't on then it will go back or sideways to keep possession and I've no problem with this. Sam Stanton used to try a forward pass whether it was on or not and most likely lose possession and it annoyed the life out me.

Powers is never going to be the defence splitting midfielder everyone wants and I agree with another poster on another thread that he's more of a Neil Lennon type of player.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)