+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Of course - it's the media to blame...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Correct ....... Naturally many many oldsters like me will be concerned but not panicking. Why should I panic? .... COPD, 2nd stage kidney disease, heart disease all on my medical history CV plus warfarin for life and monthly INR blood tests for life. Nothing compared to the war time bombing raids, food rationing, Polio scares, the TB outbreaks plus throw in the Asian flu' back in the early 60's. Panic ..... never, concern definitely. Ask any old timer who's been schooled in the art of 'not panicking' what they think ...... the 'young media'professionals of today may be surprised, the truth being they haven't lived yet!
    Two different types of media quotes from this week, that go to show the "extremes" that the media is taking.
    Cannot find the actual quotes now but most on here will agree as to the following theme.

Firstly on Trump last week "the guy is an idiot, not taking Covid seriously, deliberately misleading the US public to prop up the stockmarket" etc etc etc

Now, literally over the last few days "beware, Trump is trying to use his executive powers to close down freedom of movement and lockdown the USA" https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...navirus-crisis

Basically he cannot win (if he does nothing initially, he's an idiot, but as soon as he acts he's a right-wing dictator)

At a time when the media should be feeding us factual, sound and balanced advice (to avoid panic)....certain newspapers are taking the opportunity to "stick the political boot in", not just with Trump but I've noticed it with Boris also today....it's pathetic.....somewhere, in between China's total lockdown and armed military patrolling the streets and Mexico's AMLO exhibiting his "I don't really care, I'm off to hug and kiss my supporters this weekend" attitude that had the press here puzzled and bemused, there is a middle line.....I certainly ain't no medical expert but good impartial advice from the media would a good start IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Two different types of media quotes from this week, that go to show the "extremes" that the media is taking.
    Cannot find the actual quotes now but most on here will agree as to the following theme.

Firstly on Trump last week "the guy is an idiot, not taking Covid seriously, deliberately misleading the US public to prop up the stockmarket" etc etc etc

Now, literally over the last few days "beware, Trump is trying to use his executive powers to close down freedom of movement and lockdown the USA" https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...navirus-crisis

Basically he cannot win (if he does nothing initially, he's an idiot, but as soon as he acts he's a right-wing dictator)

At a time when the media should be feeding us factual, sound and balanced advice (to avoid panic)....certain newspapers are taking the opportunity to "stick the political boot in", not just with Trump but I've noticed it with Boris also today....it's pathetic.....somewhere, in between China's total lockdown and armed military patrolling the streets and Mexico's AMLO exhibiting his "I don't really care, I'm off to hug and kiss my supporters this weekend" attitude that had the press here puzzled and bemused, there is a middle line.....I certainly ain't no medical expert but good impartial advice from the media would a good start IMO.
    Another thing ..... Very strange how the "Alec Salmond Affair" appears to have attracted little coverage from the BBC or other sources compared to the frenzy of hysterical outrage afforded to Boris when his Lefty activist neighbours shopped him to the Guardian (where else!) for shouting and rowing with his girlfriend. Methinks the Scottish windbag could be in the mire.