+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I'm not sure we will. However I'm not sure he's good enough for the Premiership. It's worth noting that both successors in his previous two jobs have gone on to do better than him in this league.

It shows the soft as sh*te state of football players these days when they can't take a bit of criticism.
    I agree - the Fergie and MacLean days and their, shall we say ROBUST, methods are long gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    I agree - the Fergie and MacLean days and their, shall we say ROBUST, methods are long gone!
    Yeah, 100%. It needs to be done differently.

It's exactly why Tam did so well with a similar bunch of players. He was always positive. Very much an 'arm around the shoulder' type manager. Got absolutely slated because of it, but it worked.

I'd take Billy Dodds but not sure he'd take it or he'd even be thought of

Neilson is an obvious choice also despite thoughts on him as he will get us out of the division

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    It's exactly why Tam did so well with a similar bunch of players. He was always positive. Very much an 'arm around the shoulder' type manager. Got absolutely slated because of it, but it worked.

TC was great despite the mid season slump, we'd not be in this situation if he hung around

It will not matter much who the manager is if they do not get a decent enough budget to completely overhaul the squad.

I doubt Ogren will be up for more investment having got zero return on the first traunch. So, let's hope the rumoured takeover gets over the line and we can clear out from top to bottom and start again.

To be fair to Goodwin, it was a HUGE ask to hope that he could somehow knock our threadbare and unbalanced squad into something resembling an organised unit/team. I appreciate that he was up for the challenge and came in to try and help. I would be up for Jim getting the opprotunity to turn it around. But he needs to be assured that he will be given the finance to do this.

We are in some state BTW. Deservedly relegated with a game to spare.

Not sure we are recovering from this cluster**** anytime soon.

Great is not the word I would use. We were ok at times but our season was helped immeasurably by so many others being utter crap. The standard of football is horrendous nowadays & a season of mediocre performances with very little excitement or entertainment is deemed to be a great season by some. & its not just Utd. Its mindnumbing garbage most of the time & its sad how far we & scottish football has fallen

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    Great is not the word I would use. We were ok at times but our season was helped immeasurably by so many others being utter crap. The standard of football is horrendous nowadays & a season of mediocre performances with very little excitement or entertainment is deemed to be a great season by some. & its not just Utd. Its mindnumbing garbage most of the time & its sad how far we & scottish football has fallen
    Jeezo, sounds like you need to find another hobby. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    TC was great despite the mid season slump, we'd not be in this situation if he hung around

Not certain in any way. TC didn't have to contend with a dodgy keeper to drain all the confidence out of the team. Would Tam's United have pulled off that 1st leg performance against AZ? Would Birighitti have not made the mistakes he made in the 2nd leg if Tam was manager? We will never know but we have actually scored more goals this season than last. Our problem has been very much conceding goals and that starts with the goalkeeping situation. Siegrist saves won us many points last season.
    Neilson was given Shankland. That is what got us out of The Championship not any great tactical nouce on his behalf. Any manager should have got us out of that division with the playing squad at disposal.
    Last edited by arab777; 25-05-2023 at 03:06 PM.

Had we stayed up reasonable to assume JG he would have got the job.
    But who does Ogren have to advise him whether JG did a good enough job to warrant another go.
    And if not who do we trust at Tannadice to select the new manager.
    Would fatso have some informal input.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)